follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #1247
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mt. Fuji View Post
Update:
Motor spun rod bearing 4 back in July 1500 miles after recall with about 85k miles.
Got car back 4 weeks later with a refurbished shortblock. They reused the heads and cams (probably the coolant and oil too). No hassle or arguing and at no cost to me (I really woulda liked a nice yell or two to the GM).
Just passed 1500 miles on the new shortblock today. No issues and still feels good. Did an oil change at 500 miles and oil looked good. Hopefully she doesnt have a temper tantrum and rod knock like the last one. Im still not sold on it not blowing up till I hit 3000 miles on it, but no matter what it will still look good in my driveway with or without a engine.

When this happened to me after my second spun bearing, as soon as I got the car back I drove it to the moon. If there will be a failure, procure it as early as possible - babying it at this point will only bring fear and sorrow. Drive it hard so you can trust it; that therapy fixed my fear after this ordeal. You won't get over it until you do this. Red line 1st through 3rd, drive it hard,and be cleansed.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (10-12-2019), ermax (10-26-2019), gravitylover (10-16-2019), mswbrz (10-12-2019), Tcoat (10-12-2019), Ultramaroon (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #1248
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
When this happened to me after my second spun bearing, as soon as I got the car back I drove it to the moon. If there will be a failure, procure it as early as possible - babying it at this point will only bring fear and sorrow. Drive it hard so you can trust it; that therapy fixed my fear after this ordeal. You won't get over it until you do this. Red line 1st through 3rd, drive it hard,and be cleansed.
Agree with this. That's the approach I've been taking ever since I got the car back from the J02 recall. Been redlining it repeatedly (after warming it up) and generally driving it hard.

After the first 1000 miles, I'm going to take it to the track and really give it a shake-down. If it's going to spin a bearing, I'd rather it happen sooner rather than later.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-12-2019), Ultramaroon (10-12-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #1249
johhnc479

Drives: White FRS, 2011 Cayman, 1986 944
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Agree with this. That's the approach I've been taking ever since I got the car back from the J02 recall. Been redlining it repeatedly (after warming it up) and generally driving it hard.

After the first 1000 miles, I'm going to take it to the track and really give it a shake-down. If it's going to spin a bearing, I'd rather it happen sooner rather than later.
What dealership did you use? Looks like Summit Point in your pic, so you may be local to me.
johhnc479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:39 AM   #1250
Denism28

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Flex plate cracked after recall

Scion frs 2013, 21800 km or 13546 miles , never seen the snow or road salt. 6 months a year in garage. Driven by a 82 years old man and 72 yo woman. Automatic because of woman. Recal done at 12560 m and flex plate cracked 975 miles later! Cost me 1046 can $. What would you do in my shoes?
Denism28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denism28 For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #1251
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denism28 View Post
Scion frs 2013, 21800 km or 13546 miles , never seen the snow or road salt. 6 months a year in garage. Driven by a 82 years old man and 72 yo woman. Automatic because of woman. Recal done at 12560 m and flex plate cracked 975 miles later! Cost me 1046 can $. What would you do in my shoes?
Call them out on installing the engine without one or both of the guide pins. The rear main bearing is likely scored from the misalignment. Credit to @RZNT4R for considering the additional hidden damage.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #1252
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johhnc479 View Post
What dealership did you use? Looks like Summit Point in your pic, so you may be local to me.
Wow good eye! That shot is from Summit. I recently moved to Socal though, and used a large dealership around here. I asked about their experience with the J02 recall and they said they had done about 20 recalls between their two master techs, and none had come back with any issues.

I think the key is using a large dealership with a lot of trouble-free experience doing the recall work.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-15-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #1253
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I'm going to drive mine hard right up to about 10k since it has a 12k additional warranty. So far so good other than what seems to me to be a rattly sound for 2 seconds or less when it's warm started. In fact I feel like it's running smoother and pulling stronger than it did for the last 20k or so before the work was done but that could be the new plugs and a few other little things that were changed while the motor was out. I did have them drop the oil pan and clean the pickup which needed to be done about 1k after the work was initially done so they changed the oil again at that time too. I think I'm about 3k since the initial work was done.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #1254
killmequickly

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I used the word “feel” because I was expressing an opinion. If you want to present your side as fact then present us some facts not law firm propaganda. I become more convinced we just have some law firm shills on here every time somebody appears out of nowhere screaming “class action” against Toyota.

You said it is up to each individual to decide so what is wrong with my presenting some of the negatives? Should they not have more than one opinion to dwell on?

Don’t rely on misinformation.

Exactly, you expressed an opinion, an opinion against, which is the point I was making. Thank you for solidifying that.

I did not present my side as facts as I forwarded my entire opinion with "I would like to add my 50 cents". I merely gave an opposing opinion to your and other members opinions and threw in a few examples, thoughts, and personal analogies. I added a few pros and cons from personal experience and research, and yes I have a few facts in there as well, and I also appreciate RickyBobbys contribution.

Yes I did say and still do say that it is up to each individual to choose what course to take, I am merely wanting everyone to have all the information before they make an informed decision instead of relying on "feels" and an opposing opinion especially when I see mostly nay-sayers against a class action. You and others have already presented reasons against, and I am presenting reasons for, which I have not seen a well established argument on this thread yet so your "Should they not have more than one opinion to dwell on?" point is moot as I am the "other" opinion.

No one is screaming class action, as far as I am concerned DJ27 is just informing people that one has started and the option is there. I am here to throw in my opinion in the matter and let everyone know its not all doom and gloom and some good can come out of it if it is used properly, whether some form of monetary compensation, media attention, etc.

TLDR; a Class Action against Toyota is definitely an option, whether for monetary compensation, media attention, etc. It may not, in your opinion, be the best or the worst option, and it may not be successful but it is an option and someone had the time and courage to start one so lets not shit on that person and call them "shill".

And lets not pretend that we have law degrees and years of experience with law and think that there is zero or almost zero evidence for one either.

The truth is, we don't really know until it goes to court (if it even does). I've seen lawyers pull, what I thought, was the weakest excuse for evidence out of thin air and the judge somehow saw a point and the case was successful.

So, lets just agree to disagree and see how this works out. If someone wants to join the class action fine, lets not shit on them. And if they don't and would like to pursue individual suit or small claims fine, lets hope it works out for the best.
killmequickly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:10 AM   #1255
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Youtube search valve spring recall lawsuit ring of fire recently loaded video.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #1256
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmequickly View Post
So, lets just agree to disagree and see how this works out. If someone wants to join the class action fine, lets not shit on them. And if they don't and would like to pursue individual suit or small claims fine, lets hope it works out for the best.
This is a bit harsh. No one here is "shitting on" those that want to join the class action suit, just voicing their opinions. For those that go this route I too hope it works out for them.
For those that are contemplating going this route here are some more facts to consider:https://margarianlaw.com/class-actio...uit-pros-cons/
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickyBobby For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-18-2019), Tcoat (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #1257
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
https://trofire.com/2019/10/14/lawsu...-engine-fires/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #1258
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Annnnnd.. as I have said they can't even get the facts straight.

"Lawsuit Says Subaru Recall Repairs Are Causing Engine Fires"
Dadhawk (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #1259
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Annnnnd.. as I have said they can't even get the facts straight.

"Lawsuit Says Subaru Recall Repairs Are Causing Engine Fires"

I know its not the most common failure, but haven't at least a few cars burning down been attributed to engine fires after the recall work was performed?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #1260
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
I'm not a resident of anywhere but California, so unless I plan to move or another state allows vehicle registration for non-residents (open to hearing about that) then no I would not be able to drive it again, ever.

I have spoken with three Subaru dealerships, Subaru of America, and Subaru Corporate. Haven't spoken to any Toyota dealerships or corporate yet, going by the recall language it seems like I need to go through Subaru, but it's worth trying Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Montana, do some research on that registration possibility.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue