follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #85
MR2turbo4evr

Drives: '96 Toyota Celica, '00 Lexus LS400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This thread makes me laugh. You're taking delivery of a $25K Scion, not a $375k Lexus LFA. Just calm down. You should research how these cars are driven on and off the boat. That little distance puts a lot more wear on the car than the 10 mile dealer inspection. Just don't piss the dealer off any further, or they'll drive the car hard on purpose....at least that's what I would do.
MR2turbo4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #86
sal

Drives: 16 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Are you seriously complaining about a 10k drive? LOL

You do realize your car comes backed up with a warranty if they drove it hard (which they wont).
sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #87
chate
Pharmasaurus Magnificus

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
what difference does the price of the car make?

a product that has been purchased/reserved in advance of delivery shouldn't be used for joyrides by the dealership staff, or for any reason beyond what is necessary to comply with laws/rules. It's absurd that we have to make "special requests" for a dealership to act with common sense and pay attention to their staff.

and if the car is abused at the dock, its out of my control, but what happens locally can be controlled...that's the difference

2015 Nissan GTR
chate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #88
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2turbo4evr View Post
This thread makes me laugh. You're taking delivery of a $25K Scion, not a $375k Lexus LFA. Just calm down. You should research how these cars are driven on and off the boat. That little distance puts a lot more wear on the car than the 10 mile dealer inspection. Just don't piss the dealer off any further, or they'll drive the car hard on purpose....at least that's what I would do.
After further interaction with my dealer I'm no longer worry about joyride let's get that out of the way.

Now I WAS worried because when I heard that it was my second time talking to them, I didn't want to give him the benefit of the doubt because 1) I don't know him and have had bad experience w car dealer (who doesnt?) 2) I have seen car with less than 5 miles delivered 3) Scion has made this car more special to me than the LFA from the first86 treatment.

Honestly with no intention of attacking you personally, only the thing that you said, I was afraid of pp like you, unprofessional and base ethical decision on the price of thing. I'm a structural engineer, I take a 50k home design as seriously as an airport and I'd try to prove that to the client rather than making them at my mercy because of the magnitude of their project.

/end rant. Back to waiting for my dealer to call and pick out license plate
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #89
speedrye

Drives: 2007 FJ 6MT & 2013 FR-S 6MT
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but a lot of manufacturers start the odometer with negative miles to account for this exact scenario. I had one of the very first BMW 135i's in, and when I picked it up, it had -1 miles on it. That's correct, I had to drive it for a mile to get to 0! So don't feel bad, apparently others have the same issue and some manufacturers are smart enough to account for this.

OP, you're right, it shouldn't be about the money. To someone that has just landed their first real job getting a new FR-S, this is just as important as the millionaire getting his LFA. It's a matter of perspective.
speedrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #90
SpeedR
First86 / boat thief

Drives: MKIV Supra
How about 22miles and a comment from the finance guy “one of the sales guys took it out and had a good time he said its real fast”
What would you do?
SpeedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #91
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
After only reading the 1st page, all I can say is you guys need to chill out. Its just a car. Who cares if someone redlined a car. Its not gonna damage it in anyway. I work for Chevrolet and have pdi'd dozens of SS camaros and grand sport vettes and after I'm done there is no way to tell if I just redlined it or drove like a grandma. Everyone calm down its a car.

Plus were just helping seat those rings with our 1st through 3rd full throttle pulls
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #92
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedR View Post
How about 22miles and a comment from the finance guy “one of the sales guys took it out and had a good time he said its real fast”
What would you do?

Is that what happened to you?? I'm disciplined enough not to punch faces, but that would irk me. F**k you, dude. It's my car, not yours.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #93
SpeedR
First86 / boat thief

Drives: MKIV Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Is that what happened to you?? I'm disciplined enough not to punch faces, but that would irk me. F**k you, dude. It's my car, not yours.
YEP I was pissed
SpeedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #94
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midship Runabout View Post
After only reading the 1st page, all I can say is you guys need to chill out. Its just a car. Who cares if someone redlined a car. Its not gonna damage it in anyway. I work for Chevrolet and have pdi'd dozens of SS camaros and grand sport vettes and after I'm done there is no way to tell if I just redlined it or drove like a grandma. Everyone calm down its a car.

Plus were just helping seat those rings with our 1st through 3rd full throttle pulls
Every single additional mile is another opportunity for some idiot driver to over-rev the engine by putting it into 2nd gear while already at redline in 3rd.

While not necessarily evident immediately afterwards(in many cases it is instant engine death), you can bet damage was done that will probably effect the lifespan of the engine.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #95
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midship Runabout View Post
This.

It does not take thousands of miles to seat rings.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #96
TwinscrollGT35R

Drives: 2006 Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
Just talked to the Dealer manager where my new FRS will be delivered, they agree to not drill the front bumper but saying that they will have to drive the car at least 10 miles, not for demo purpose but as a "check out drive".

Obviously that didn't go well with me so I called corporate and they have made a case to ask the Service manager to answer to the regional office and me that it is indeed a legitimate requirement either because of Texas law or something else.

10 miles over my dead body

Anybody has experienced this before? Is it reasonable to expect 0 (or maximum 1 mile) on a brand new "custom" car?
I am not sure why people get all worked up over this. This is a standard practice in the motorcycle world. And almost every new car I have bought samething.

No one is out hot rodding your car. Its a safety check.
You are paying for the set up and delivery. So why tell them not to do their job? Lots of things to check on a delivery check list. Wheel lugs, Tire pressures, Oil levels, Charging systems, Lights, A/C system, There is a long list.

I'd be worried if I got a car or bike and it had less then 5 miles on it. This means they took short cuts on set up. If that is the case what else did they short cut. The cars already have 1-2 miles on them before they get to the dealer. So let them do their job correctly. It helps to make sure your car will keep you happy for the whole life of the car.
TwinscrollGT35R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TwinscrollGT35R For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-17-2012), Lordharding (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #97
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
What would you do?
Contact the general manager of the dealership and Scion. Explain to them that this is not acceptable, and you desire some form of compensation.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #98
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
YEP I was pissed
Sigh. Why do people do shit like this?

Go straight to corporate. This is a giant slap in Scion's face and I bet they would want to hear about it. It was a special car, part of a special program, and the dealership letting some salesjerk take it on a joyride is simply inappropriate. We saw what happened a few months ago when some BMW dealership employee uploaded a video made while joyriding a new 1 series, it was a bad scene.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote