follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 11-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #4747
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Let me rephrase my question - how is a tS faster than a regular '17+ 86/BRZ in SSC trim?

Impossible to know by how much, but the simple answer is faster. And the 17+ cars again will be faster by some small amount. At the national level, which is what matters for classing, and the top ten drivers are separated by .010 sec it definitely matters. So for SSC where the goal is to be totally equal, it is counterproductive. If you REALLY want to split hairs, the seriesblue cars with the body kit are allowed in SSC.

Back to the point of CS, these are still great cars. They just aren't going to be beating the new Miatas at Nationals. At your local event, who cares? Just go have fun.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #4748
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conehead View Post
Impossible to know by how much, but the simple answer is faster.
Jesus Christ it really is an autox thread 'cause y'all keep missing the fucking question: what makes it faster?

The brakes don't make it faster
It has the exact same power train as another '17+
In SSC it will have the exact same suspension wheels tires and alignment as every other car

So it's just the wing, which for all we know hampers the car. I don't need some bullshit quantifier or guesses or for someone to explain to me how racing works, I just wanted to know what advantage the tS offers that the base model doesn't for SSC.

Anyway you're right back to CS, I like Tony's suggestion but I doubt it will happen this decade as ES cars are likely to remain cheap and available for a few more years before the old guard of CS sufficiently crosses the threshold into <$10k to justify being the new entry level sports car, and STS car supply is still healthy around here so unless it declines into lower numbers (which will probably happen soon enough) not sure why they'd obsolete them quite yet.

In any case the car is miserable without camber, don't know how y'all can do it but more power to you.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #4749
Shadotracker

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did some autocross today and was only .6-.7 seconds off from the fastest in my class, an RX-8 and ND2 that both (prepped for CS) had stickier tires than me, currently running on my stock tires on my TS. I could have picked up a little bit more time, but I need to start fiddling with the alignment and front sway bar and I could be a bit closer before dumping money on wheels and tires.
Shadotracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #4750
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
We had snow today. Season over 3 weeks ago, you sound like you're doing pretty well.

Question for the group:

Got back into autos this year with a 100K mi 2013 BRZ, totally not prepped other than new BFG Rivals. Best pax was 15th overall, average around 21 in the 10 or so events I ran this year. Ran with Akron and Pittsburgh, I'm in DS. The good guys in WRX's beat me consistently.

I'm thinking about next season, do I prep for DS with Konis and TRD springs plus a sway bar? I'll need to rebuild most of the suspension anyway.

OR do I go with coil-overs and run locally in STX?

Thanks for your advice.

KO
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #4751
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfred View Post
We had snow today. Season over 3 weeks ago, you sound like you're doing pretty well.

Question for the group:

Got back into autos this year with a 100K mi 2013 BRZ, totally not prepped other than new BFG Rivals. Best pax was 15th overall, average around 21 in the 10 or so events I ran this year. Ran with Akron and Pittsburgh, I'm in DS. The good guys in WRX's beat me consistently.

I'm thinking about next season, do I prep for DS with Konis and TRD springs plus a sway bar? I'll need to rebuild most of the suspension anyway.

OR do I go with coil-overs and run locally in STX?

Thanks for your advice.

KO
What are your goals?
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #4752
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
Great question, thanks. My goal is to compete with a prepped car in order to run faster times. Goal also includes being able to trust the car when being aggressive by reducing the amount of over steer or tendency to spin.

Since the car has over 100K mi and is my DD, I will be replacing shocks this year, along with control arms or bushings. Currently these items are from 2013.

Thanks for the input. KO.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #4753
PointDSM

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
TRD springs aren't allowed in D-Street, so it would just be the Koni's and a swaybar. I can't speak on the need for a swaybar (still stock bars front/rear, and did plenty well at both Local, Milwaukee Region, and Nationals, but that may be driving style), however I would recommend at the very least the SSC Koni's so that if you don't want to stay in DS for 2019 (with the rally cars coming), that you can move to SCC easily.

P.S. - I have SSC Koni shocks readily available for sale, right now

STX is a whole different level in terms of prep, so it's hard to advise that to someone with a year back into it. I just don't see DS as the class anymore for these cars (not that was in 2018, but at least we got another year out of it).
PointDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #4754
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Yeah. Any twin in Street is going to have some rough days going forward. Day 2 at nats shows the potential of the Camaro/Hype R/WRX and that doesn't even address the new additions to the class. If my goal was to be competitive, I wouldn't run that category in that car.

SSC had an unrealistic PAX in '18. In a few days, we'll see how that changes for '19. Running a Spec class is a blast, if you have competition. I have mixed thoughts on the package for autocross.

STX cars are a blast. For a slightly larger investment than SSC, you will have a much faster car that should be pretty competitive. If you are the type that "needs" a full build, you'll either spend a lot of money or constantly be frustrated with being "underprepped".
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:55 PM   #4755
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
So CS now has an index that's .001 softer than BS. Crazy. The ND is essentially a B-Street car with its own class! (I called it btw)

It's really interesting how everything has unfolded for the 86 platform after the initial decisions were made with the ND (and really how street has evolved in general). The initial classing of the ND into CS forced the twins down into DS (with a little assist from the BRZ crowd being upset about the TRD parts) and then the 4 cylinder Camaro and Mustang were brought up to DS from FS. That further forced the twins out which ultimately resulted in a spec class.

If the ND was classed into BS initially I bet AS, BS, CS, and DS would all look drastically different than they do now. Wonder if we'd have even gotten a spec class or if the ND might have become the spec car instead... I'm shocked anyone is still in CS with the twins. Subaru and Toyota aren't ever going to do any power upgrades to these cars so I don't see how they could ever compete in CS.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
DaWorstPlaya (12-14-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #4756
Shadotracker

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ TS
Bought myself an K&N air filter, 22mm front sway bar, and Nameless track pipe. Can't wait to use them at the next autocross event I do after then installation of the parts and a proper alignment.
Shadotracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 AM   #4757
Roadphantom

Drives: FR-S - STX
This might be time for all the twins including TRD upgrades to go down to DS. At this point, it shouldn't threaten the top dog DS cars they want to win, but it will give the twins a little more relevance in street classes for those who do not want to run SSC. What do you think? Anyone want to try to write a letter?
Roadphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #4758
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadphantom View Post
This might be time for all the twins including TRD upgrades to go down to DS. At this point, it shouldn't threaten the top dog DS cars they want to win, but it will give the twins a little more relevance in street classes for those who do not want to run SSC. What do you think? Anyone want to try to write a letter?
Been there, done that, got denied... perhaps referencing the RX-8 is what kept the TRD and RX-8 in CS. Below is the letter I submitted last spring/summer.

Quote:
Please consider moving the remaining "best-of-breed" TRD FRS/86 and the BRZ Performance Package to DS with the proposed 2019 moves. With all of the pre-ND MX-5 Miata being stable in CS and an influx of S2000 as a possibility, please consider moving all of the FR-S/86/BRZ into DS in 2019 IF the RX-8 and especially if the STi, Evo, Focus RS, Audi S3 get moved into DS in 2019. The TRD FR-S/86/BRZ PP have proven to have nearly identical autocross performance to the RX-8 over the past few years and would likely be less competitive than the above AWD cars proposed to move into DS in 2019. I am for all of these changes even if the TRD/PP FR-S/86/BRZ are forced to stay in CS, but I would prefer they all be lumped into DS. Yes, the spec class exists, but it would be nice to have a competitive street class for the the "best-of-breed" FR-S/86/BRZ to go for competitors who enjoy multi-marque competition. Thanks!
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #4759
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadphantom View Post
With DS getting another shake up there isn't any reason to throw yet another package car into the mix. The twin has SSC and STX for a competitive place.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #4760
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Have you considered looking into some track day fun instead, or to supplement autox? Midwest 86 Cup is starting its second season in 2019, and with the recent announcement of NATA we are hopeful that we can get a fairly diverse schedule for 2019. It offers another place to play with your BRZ, where it can be competitive in every class!

www.midwest86cup.com
www.facebook.com/groups/midwest86cup/

Sorry to derail from CS talk, but wanted to throw this out there as I know a lot of Twin owners haven't been all that thrilled with where the platform has gone in autox classing.