follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 05-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #4173
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco78 View Post
I can't believe nobody is talking about the BRZ that won CS at the DC Pro.

Congrats to Steven Berrodin
Steve laid down some great 60' times that I could not come close to matching in the Saturday afternoon session. I knew that would be the only session where you had to have a good time in order to win with the weather what it was. No one else could put together a good RT combined with a good 60'. Congrats again Steve!

I decided to go with the Kumhos due to their contingency instead of Bridgestones, but I'm happy with how they felt and glad they seemed to be on pace (0.062 behind). We never could get a good launch all weekend, trying everywhere from 2000-4200rpm. The grip just wasn't there for us on launch (maybe the Kumhos?). I feel bad that my co-driver got stuck with rain in his Saturday afternoon runs and the ridiculous cold/wind on Sunday morning.

I usually hate ProSolos and this is my only one this year, but I had fun despite the course having huge straightaways and some very tight stuff. I definitely like having a National event less than an hour from my house!
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #4174
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Steve killed it out there, especially for his first Pro, great stuff. Philly region in general did really well with a whole lot of Pro noobies.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #4175
ryan t

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I agree the kumhos suck at launching. Ive tried everything with mine and they wont hook on launch.
ryan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #4176
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco78 View Post
I can't believe nobody is talking about the BRZ that won CS at the DC Pro.

Congrats to Steven Berrodin
I heard this event royally sucked, but congrats on the win no doubt.

Pro solo courses just aren't doing it for me lately. I'd rather have less runs on a longer/better course, although I don't think my schedule allows for any national tours this year.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #4177
chucky12012

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Our Texas Pro Solo courses are pretty long, always surprising to me to see how short they are in other regions. Last year it was just under 50 seconds per side for top in CS at Mineral Wells. Additionally, the quality of some of this year's courses seems poor, just as an outsider looking in. The issues with the trees is a concern with our event coming up soon, not something I look forward to dealing with if they haven't resolved it. That all being said, pro solo events are a ton of fun regardless.
chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #4178
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Apparently the event at DC was heavily affected by the crappy lot conditions and the frankly idiotic placement of the truck and no way to move it for the guys setting up course. Not sure why they killed the NJ events to stay at DC which is a crappy site. Oh well.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #4179
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I think many people get spoiled by the Ohio, Midwest, TX, and CA venues. We're pretty limited on the East Coast to the DC and NJ which are crazy expensive and are NOT a blank slate for course design. I have not been to Devens, but I've heard that's a good site.

FedEx Field is a great and easily our best site in the area. However, it has never been ideal for a ProSolo due to the elevation differences and surface. I usually laugh at people when I hear "off camber" and any other site due to how much elevation change we have. It is great for a regular autocross, and I suspect the courses for the Tour will be like any normal national event course. The surface is slick when cold and not really abrasive at all, but everyone still has to drive the same course.

Meadowlands is an awesome lot, and it sucks there was not a ProSolo there this year. Maybe next year?

Hopefully, we'll get a few more people in CS for the DC Tour in June. It's a great site (despite what rrax/bookface people may say) and I'm there a few times a month. It's not Wilmington or Toledo, but it's still good.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #4180
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Packwood isn't so spacious for a pro either. We usually get 30 second courses on each side and have to work around some elevation elements to get them close to mirrored.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #4181
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I have not been to Devens, but I've heard that's a good site.

Meadowlands is an awesome lot, and it sucks there was not a ProSolo there this year. Maybe next year?
Devens is good, but I don't see the ability to run a Pro there. It's an old Army Air Field. Not really anything truly mirror-able about it. Good condition, but you've got two runways, two taxiways and a small helicopter/service vehicle pad to work with.

I doubt it's for lack of interest in NNJR hosting one, it's more likely due to SCCA/meadowlands event schedules not being able to be worked out. Even if they pay a lot for the lot (and they do) it's not even a rounding error compared to having anything going on INSIDE the stadium.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #4182
ryan t

since tire rack is out of 225 re71, are the 215 worth purchasing?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #4183
AlanLGuy

Drives: Raven 6 speed Manual FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan t View Post
since tire rack is out of 225 re71, are the 215 worth purchasing?

I went up to the 235... Not bad if you have a large/fast course... From what people are saying it probably would have done ok at DC, but at the Wilmington Pro it was an awful choice.

Hoping it pays off at the Champ Tour in Wilmington.

2000 Celica GT-S - "Frankenstein" CAI, Boosted2.0 Ported Header, TRD Exhaust, ES Motor Mount Inserts, ES Suspension Bushings, Southbend TZ clutch, Fidanza Flywheel.
AlanLGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #4184
ryan t

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLGuy View Post
I went up to the 235... Not bad if you have a large/fast course... From what people are saying it probably would have done ok at DC, but at the Wilmington Pro it was an awful choice.

Hoping it pays off at the Champ Tour in Wilmington.
so the width difference is not a problem? i get you on the height/gearing. ive got on rev limiter once with 215 kumho in the 2 different regions i run in
Old 05-23-2016, 03:43 PM   #4185
AlanLGuy

Drives: Raven 6 speed Manual FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan t View Post
so the width difference is not a problem? i get you on the height/gearing. ive got on rev limiter once with 215 kumho in the 2 different regions i run in

I mean, yes, the 215's aren't going to be as wide as the 225's... So less total contact patch means less available grip... But I think the differences between a 215/225 is fairly negligible. I think the 225's are the tire to have up against the ND Miata, so the 215's are going to be a compromise, but I'd rather have a 215 re-71R over a RS3 or a Z2...

Now... Would I rather have them over a Rival S... I dunno... That's probably more about driving style/tire feel preferences... I ran the RE-71r's last year, so I opted for a non-optimal tire that I'm familiar with.

2000 Celica GT-S - "Frankenstein" CAI, Boosted2.0 Ported Header, TRD Exhaust, ES Motor Mount Inserts, ES Suspension Bushings, Southbend TZ clutch, Fidanza Flywheel.
AlanLGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanLGuy For This Useful Post:
LenA (05-23-2016), ryan t (05-23-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #4186
86_Freak

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I currently have 235 RE-71R's right now but haven't decided if I'm going to stick with 235's for my next set or go to 225's. I went with 235's for the gearing as Lincoln usually has pretty open courses, but we'll see this weekend on how they fare.

I'm tempted to go back to the 225's to get some more steering feedback. For those that have tried both, is there a noticeable difference between the 225's and 235's? I know I've been spoiled from racing a shifter kart for so many years, but I just want some more steering feedback out of the FR-S and I think part of the reason I might not have it is because I'm using 235's.
86_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote