follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #57
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
when you get lucky and finally just get the tip in, do you immediately start banging your gf/wife/one night stand immediately at 100%?
This thread necro was worth this underrated quote. And the answer for everyone is "of course".
Old 08-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #58
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
I'd like to add that a lighter crank pulley made a difference on my 2013.
Some people will swear it's a placebo effect, but I definitely felt better response when I had a Kartboy pulley installed (1lb vs. the stock 4lb), and noticed the immediate difference when I swapped back to the stock pulley before I returned my BRZ lease. As the FA20 is a boxer, it is safe to change this pulley (it doesn't affect any sort of dampening or counterbalancing).

I'd recommend a Perrin piece though, as the Kartboy produces a noticeable (but low) whine. And definitely see if you can get it used (just in case I'm wrong and it really was just a placebo effect).
Less rotating mass is always going to aid acceleration; whether it's enough to notice or not is another question.

I am however curious about your claim that because this is a boxer motor there's no need to do any dampening. horizontally opposed or not, there's always going to be vibrations and such. If there was no need to dampen them then the OEM would have saved themselves the extra material and cost of making the harmonic damper. That said it may not reduce the engines life by a noticeable amount for most people.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrowsFeast For This Useful Post:
Baldeagle (10-01-2020), LimitedSlip (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #59
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
Less rotating mass is always going to aid acceleration; whether it's enough to notice or not is another question.

I am however curious about your claim that because this is a boxer motor there's no need to do any dampening. horizontally opposed or not, there's always going to be vibrations and such. If there was no need to dampen them then the OEM would have saved themselves the extra material and cost of making the harmonic damper. That said it may not reduce the engines life by a noticeable amount for most people.

I have read on this very forum that the OEM crank pulley is not a harmonic damper.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragoontwo For This Useful Post:
Baldeagle (10-01-2020), daiheadjai (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #60
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Same as dragoontwo - I read from here (this was a subject of vigorous debate at one point) and the conclusion was that the OEM piece doesn't function as a damper?
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Baldeagle (10-01-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #61
CrowsFeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
I have read on this very forum that the OEM crank pulley is not a harmonic damper.
Well, guess I should have done some research then.

Why does it weigh that much more though?
Old 08-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #62
dragoontwo

Quote:
Well, guess I should have done some research then.

Why does it weigh that much more though?

I can't really answer that but here goes anyways. The pulley is a 3 pc design with 2 metal pieces connected my a thin layer of rubber. It is probably as light as 2 mass produced cast metal pieces and a strip of rubber can be. It is probably much cheaper to produce than machined aluminum pulleys are.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #63
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
LWFW made a huge improvement for throttle response. Slight blip is all it takes on downshifts.

I'm also on an E85 tune and whenever I go back to stock tune, I notice the throttle response is not great (yes, after the adjustment period).

Love the throttle response on the car now!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #64
PenGun
Banned

Drives: Red 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you are seriously using the car, you will be over 4500 RPM at the least. You may find the harder you drive it the better it feels. In drive to the store mode, it has many peccadilloes.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #65
CrowsFeast

Quote:
I can't really answer that but here goes anyways. The pulley is a 3 pc design with 2 metal pieces connected my a thin layer of rubber. It is probably as light as 2 mass produced cast metal pieces and a strip of rubber can be. It is probably much cheaper to produce than machined aluminum pulleys are.
I'm guessing that rubber is overmolded, which is surprisingly not all that cheap. Sounds like it's not functioning as a traditional harmonic dampener maybe, but it's definitely still dampening some vibrations if it's 3 piece with rubber in the middle.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:55 AM   #66
dragoontwo

Quote:
I'm guessing that rubber is overmolded, which is surprisingly not all that cheap. Sounds like it's not functioning as a traditional harmonic dampener maybe, but it's definitely still dampening some vibrations if it's 3 piece with rubber in the middle.

In the quantities that they are done, it may still be cheaper than machining a bunch of 1 pc pullies.

I agree that it is likely just a slight dampener, and not a balancer.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:36 AM   #67
CrowsFeast

Quote:
In the quantities that they are done, it may still be cheaper than machining a bunch of 1 pc pullies.

I agree that it is likely just a slight dampener, and not a balancer.
1 piece pulley will always be cheaper to manufacture. It would be mostly cast and then just touch up the running surface (which they would be doing in any design).

I was actually speaking from my experience when I worked at continental on valves for evap systems (making million of parts) about overmolding being 'expensive'.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #68
Baldeagle

Drives: VW GLI 6MT
Quote:

Sorry to bring up a potentially dead thread, but I just did some reading on this subject. It seems the OEM pulley is designed to quell certain vibrations. Assuming the internals of a boxer engine are balanced, it has no primary or secondary balance vibrations. (It does of course produce a rocking couple, which gives the flat four its notorious rumble.)

However it seems that at high rpm, an H4’s crankshaft incurs flex and that flex causes a vibration. The OEM two-piece pulley with the rubber ring is designed to absorb some of that vibration. If the rubber in the pulley were not present, the crankshaft’s bearings would absorb more of those flex-vibrations. Over time, that could increase wear on the crank bearings and reduce the engine’s lifespan. To what degree does this have an impact? I am clueless. But it seems there is a purpose for that rubber ring.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baldeagle For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-03-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 04:10 PM   #69
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Sorry to bring up a potentially dead thread, but I just did some reading on this subject. It seems the OEM pulley is designed to quell certain vibrations. Assuming the internals of a boxer engine are balanced, it has no primary or secondary balance vibrations. (It does of course produce a rocking couple, which gives the flat four its notorious rumble.)

However it seems that at high rpm, an H4’s crankshaft incurs flex and that flex causes a vibration. The OEM two-piece pulley with the rubber ring is designed to absorb some of that vibration. If the rubber in the pulley were not present, the crankshaft’s bearings would absorb more of those flex-vibrations. Over time, that could increase wear on the crank bearings and reduce the engine’s lifespan. To what degree does this have an impact? I am clueless. But it seems there is a purpose for that rubber ring.
I also wouldn't be surprised if this was a cost-savings measure: it probably costs a lot more to R&D and produce a bespoke lightweight pulley, when you could just use the same one that your fleet of Imprezas/Outbacks/WRXs etc are using - especially when the difference is so marginal that people debate about its existence.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #70
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post

Over 80k on my 04WRX (143k) with lightweight pulley. Boxer engine is in great shape based on last used oil analysis at about 125k. I think abuse from other things will get the engine before the pulley. But either way the light weight pulley on the BRZ was not an earth shattering improvement, maybe a little faster rev. So do it if you feel like or don’t.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote