follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 02-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #4033
408brz

Drives: 2013 SWP Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Koni Centering Spacer

Arrived today. Koni be legal! Thank-you Koni.
Attached Images

408brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #4034
jtmroczk

Drives: C-Street FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
I started on hard but went to soft not long after I got Konis and stayed there for nats. The soft setting is still pretty damn stiff. It was fairly neutral off throttle, pushy on throttle. But I could go WOT whenever I wanted without spinning, and it was a total monster through slaloms.
sounds good, thank you
jtmroczk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #4035
Mark99es

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good luck trying to find just a rear TRD bar. I searched for 3 months and broke down and got the set. I will be at the Dixie tour with 245 Bridgestones. I will probably not be a very good person to test my setup as it will only be my 3rd event in the car.
Mark99es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:24 AM   #4036
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

Drives: '22 BRZ |'13 BRZ SSC (formerly)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408brz View Post
Arrived today. Koni be legal! Thank-you Koni.
Same here. We be legal.
doggieboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #4037
Mark99es

Anyone willing to give some advise of a decent base line on shock settings for off the self Koni's? I have the TRD rear bar and springs. 22mm Whiteline front bar. I run one event in the car and had factory rear bar on the car. had rebound full hard on rear and almost full soft in the front to help the car rotate (rear TRD bar should help). This does not seem like a conventional baseline. haha
Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #4038
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark99es View Post
Anyone willing to give some advise of a decent base line on shock settings for off the self Koni's? I have the TRD rear bar and springs. 22mm Whiteline front bar. I run one event in the car and had factory rear bar on the car. had rebound full hard on rear and almost full soft in the front to help the car rotate (rear TRD bar should help). This does not seem like a conventional baseline. haha
Thanks in advance

If you run rink a dink lots, and barely get into 2nd gear...you might have to keep these settings. As the speeds increase, and slaloms/transitions become higher speed, is when you need to dial more rebound into the front. I have essentially the same setup. I typically start around 3/4 from full stiff in the back, and 1/2 a turn from full stiff in the front, and make adjustments on a 1/4 turn basis.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #4039
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark99es View Post
Thanks in advance
Was gonna post Sean's settings but looks like he beat me.

I liked 1.25 turns from full soft front and 0.5 turns from full soft rear. 1.5 turns front led to an overdamped front end (car very pushy when transitioning) and 0.75 turns rear led to surprise snap oversteer and excessive inside wheel spin.

I tried Sean's settings and didn't like them. I think it's a driving style thing. He beat me on East and I beat him on West.

Full hard rear and full soft front seems wrong. Are you really having trouble getting the car to rotate? Where are tire pressures set?

With Konis you never want to be full hard/soft as bottoming out can jam the adjuster in place which requires a trip to the factory to fix - stay at least 1/8 turn from either end, 1/4 turn is better.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:23 AM   #4040
Mark99es

I will give those a try. I just got the car late last year and ran one event. It is definitely what I would a rink a dink lot. I had the factory rear bar on the car then as well but I was having a hard time getting it to rotate. Center turn was really bad. I am running the ZMax lot in Charlotte this Saturday and going to try to use it as a test and tune for Dixie. I believe it will be a much higher speed course. I believe I was running around 29psi. Running 245/40. May be to big of a tire. I know most are running the 225's.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #4041
edj

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
fyi, a little birdie told me that some relief may be on the way for the BRZ and non-TRD FR-S cars
for next year. watch your next FasTrack for more information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edj For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (02-28-2016), NJ10 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 AM   #4042
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
fyi, a little birdie told me that some relief may be on the way for the BRZ and non-TRD FR-S cars
for next year. watch your next FasTrack for more information.
Any non-TRD FR-S can be made into a TRD FR-S with just the additions of the TRD springs and sway bars. So they don't need any help.

Cross manufacturer parts swapping is not allowed in the current rules. If they allow cross manufacturer parts swapping the unintended implications could be vast. It would be like opening Pandora's box, IMHO.

The current perception is that the BRZ needs help. I'm curious to see how they word it ...
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaWorstPlaya For This Useful Post:
LenA (03-26-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #4043
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
Any non-TRD FR-S can be made into a TRD FR-S with just the additions of the TRD springs and sway bars. So they don't need any help.

Cross manufacturer parts swapping is not allowed in the current rules. If they allow cross manufacturer parts swapping the unintended implications could be vast. It would be like opening Pandora's box, IMHO.

The current perception is that the BRZ needs help. I'm curious to see how they word it ...
He might referencing cars who haven't made the jump to using the TRD parts. Eric has been around a long time, so he's well aware of the rules. I'm also curious what it is they are proposing.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #4044
edj

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
some clarification. as part of some Street class reshuffling, the BRZ and non-TRD FR-S would
be moved to D Street.

the precedence is the S2000 CR and normal S2000's are in separate classes.

anyway, wait for the proposal in the next FasTrack and then let the SEB know whether you
like this move or not.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #4045
JimR

Drives: '15 FR-S, '92 Sentra SE-R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Scarcity is the main motivation in separating "hot" versions cars like the NB Miata Club Sport and S2000 CR. It's either difficult to find the entire car or to make a same-year conversion with unobtanium parts.

The majority of twins sold are Scions, and anyone can order the TRD parts piecemeal on eBay or Amazon. Scarcity and cost are not very pressing in duplicating the base car that won CS.

I'm not knocking any breaks for BRZ and non-TRD-installed FR-Ses, but it's a steeper climb to make that class change happen.
JimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #4046
SeanRTR
C-Street AutoX

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post

Open the box. This is ridiculous. Just Make a clause putting these two cars on the same line for SCCA Street class. I don't get how this hurts anyone else. "Scion FR-S/BRZ are on the same line in Street and may interchange anything within model years including TRD spring additions currently only allowed for Scion Models." ...or something along those lines.

This is a unique situation which the cars are literally the exact same, but one car is handicapped. Because I will gladly put my stock springs / rear bar back on to go run D-Street. The roads around here are just destroyed. I bought this car to be able to run in one of the most popular classes, if we have two twin stock classes for cars that are all (nearly) exactly the same 13-16, that's fucked in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanRTR For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (02-29-2016)