follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

View Poll Results: Do you have a front license plate installed?
Yes 10 25.00%
No 25 62.50%
Keep it on the dash 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
whiteradam

Drives: 2000 RS, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
the car has to follow the rules of the state it is registered in, if its illegal in another state but not yours, tell him tough luck buddy I aint from around here and those laws dont pertain to my car
So there is more of the rub, the car was not registered anywhere at that point. It's over and done with. He gave me a warning, and he helped to just reaffirm my thoughts of a lot of police officers.
whiteradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteradam View Post
So there is more of the rub, the car was not registered anywhere at that point. It's over and done with. He gave me a warning, and he helped to just reaffirm my thoughts of a lot of police officers.
Are you sure it wasn't registered where you bought it? I bought mine in CO, and it had a temporary registration there. They also had the temp tag in the upper drivers side rear window. The temp tag and temp registration expired on the same date.
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
Lisa@TrueStreetIndustries

Drives: 13 FR-S, 07 Mustang GT/CS, 95 240sx
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Lisa@TrueStreetIndustries
I don't run a single front plate on any of my vehicles, nor do we run the front plate on our FR-S. I've only ever gotten pulled over for my front plate in my 240, however my Mustang I've never been given trouble without it. I've had cops ask me about my car or say it was a nice car and never once mentioned the front plate.
Lisa@TrueStreetIndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #18
DatGoodBRZ

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Ltd.
Bought my car from NY and the dealer told me that they only need the back plate. So I was fortunate to not have my front bumper drilled! Anyways after having it shipped I drove it from Houston to Harlingen In Texas with only a window sticker and no temp plates, no insp or reg sticker! Got all the next day and bout 1 week later I got pulled over for the no front plate issue. He let me go just saying to get one put on and if he sees me again without it he's gonna give a ticket. Been bout 2 months and Ive passed lots of cops no prob. Think cause it's not a moving violation it's gonna depend on the cop havin a bad day or not lol! Either that or he more than likely just wanted to check my car out!
DatGoodBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #19
whiteradam

Drives: 2000 RS, 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRipler View Post
Are you sure it wasn't registered where you bought it? I bought mine in CO, and it had a temporary registration there. They also had the temp tag in the upper drivers side rear window. The temp tag and temp registration expired on the same date.
As far as I understood it was not. I was handed the certificate of Origin when I bought it, and when I did register it in TX, the kid behind the counter had to ask his supervisor what to do with it. His supervisor told him to process it like it was a brand new car sold in TX that had never been registered.

From what everyone is saying, it really seems to be highly dependent on the moment and the mood of the cop looking at your car.
whiteradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Been running no front plate since May, not even on dash. Got pulled over once for something I didn't do by 2 cops, they gave me a hard time but never mentioned front plate. I'm not scare since I know even if they give me a ticket for that there won't be a fine since Austin Legislators couldn't agree on it in the last session. They won't meet again til January, I'll wait to see how it turns out then.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Boils down to this...."Well, do you feel Lucky? Well do ya, Punk?"

There is a glitch in the Texas vehicle statue code at present...House bill 2357 was passed May 24, 2011 to update the motor vehicle statues. They left this part out regarding the front license plate statue in Sections 502.473 and 504.943, "An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200."

So, there is a requirement to display a front plate but, at present, there is no provision in law to fine you for it. You can be pulled over. Police use this as an excuse to check you out for any outstanding warrants, search your vehicle for drugs if they question you and then establish probable cause. Depending on the municipality, you can be issued a misdemeanor ticket to pay a fine (in error perhaps) and then have to go to court to argue your case that there is no provision to charge a fine. They can issue you a warning ticket. To me, just not worth it. In the police state climate we live in, you are a scum violator not to have a front plate on your 86.

Also, display of a plate in the front windshield does not comply with the law. A cop might let you get away with it but, case law establishes that the front bumper area is what the "plain language" intended by the statue implies - reasons cited in court cases: red light cameras and toll road cameras are adjusted for the front bumper area and not the windshield.

In the next Legislative Session, they will likely put the fine provision back in the statues.

Get the Grimmspeed:
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
knewsom32

Drives: Scion FR-S
Send a message via AIM to knewsom32 Send a message via Yahoo to knewsom32
Don't have one on ours, doubt we will end up putting it on. Like many of you said, most police officers don't pull you over just for the front license plate missing.
knewsom32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
Xerail

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Texas redid there laws and they accidentally screwed up the one starring you have to have a front license plate.

http://warondriving.com/post/1383875...ate-no-problem

Or google Texas Gaffe Means No License Plate
Xerail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I did not want the front of my FR-S drilled for the front license plate, therefore I requested my dealer while placing my order for the car. No complications there.

I've tried to be a more conservative driver out on the public roads, and I try not to catch the cops attention as much as I did in my past. So I feel that's one of the reasons why the cops may not pin me down for not having a front license plate, although I still don't want to push my chances.

If I do get pulled over for this matter, I'll be as polite as possible and kiss the officer's ass... And get away for yet another day with no front license plate... Hopefully.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote