follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2020, 10:46 PM   #225
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
ok cool, ive never run them before and noticed the fronts feather way more than the back so ive been moving my front to back and back to front. also the graining mostly wore off on the drive home

Yup. Also realize that shoulder wear WILL happen at autocross. It’s the nature of the beast and even at -5* you’ll see shoulder wear. Rotate front/rear as you see fit to get even shoulder wear.

Don’t get concerned until this happens lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #226
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
huh? do you mean remount them? the season just started, if that is what you mean ill wait until at least 1/2 way in
Not now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Flip 'em one event prior to your next major one and go at it again from the other side.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #227
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
well i fixed my 1 messed up crash bolt and maxed out my camber plates. if my shitty electronic level is to be believed im between -3.9 and -4.1 my garage isnt level so im probably -4.1 both. went into an empty parking lot and i dont rub either

Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #228
Breezio

Drives: 2017 BRZ series.yellow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post

Don’t get concerned until this happens lol
How was the traction on those Yoko's when worn down that much?
Breezio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #229
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezio View Post
How was the traction on those Yoko's when worn down that much?
Not bad at all. They're still quick to cords.

I was lapping the car at Gingerman, Corded those tires, threw on BFGs and ran the same time. So yeah, maybe 0.5 second slower over 1:44 course? Not the worst thing.

When I corded my previous set of BFGs, they were over 2 seconds slower a lap.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
Breezio (07-28-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #230
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey Guys - I think I am due to for some upgrades/maintenance on the front end of my 2013 BRZ. I think I have a bad bushing/tie rod/etc. I am getting excess wear on the inside edge. After a recent track day, all of my tires look like they should as far as coming off track, minus the inside 3/4-1inch at most is completely smooth. The car drove off track and right on the trailer last event. Looking for ideas for what could be causing what seems to be excessive toe wear on the inside? Drivers side is the primary offender.

I am planning on replacing the FLCA Bushings - Are the SuperPro legal parts? Or are the SuperPro/Buddy Club/or SPL control arms at all legal? Guessing no on the buddy club due to the ball joints.
https://www.suspension.com/superpro/spf3878k

Alignment Specs:
F/R
-3.3/-2.2 camber
0 toe / 1/16th inch toe in per side rear
?/? Caster - maxed with Ground Control Top Hats.

Suspension:
RCE T2 W/500 # springs
Hotckis Sway Bars
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:25 PM   #231
ka-t_240

The second thought on my mind, I found my RCE T2 coilovers came with 500# springs on them vs 400# like they normally do. Think its a good idea to swap to 400?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #232
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Hey Guys - I think I am due to for some upgrades/maintenance on the front end of my 2013 BRZ. I think I have a bad bushing/tie rod/etc. I am getting excess wear on the inside edge. After a recent track day, all of my tires look like they should as far as coming off track, minus the inside 3/4-1inch at most is completely smooth. The car drove off track and right on the trailer last event. Looking for ideas for what could be causing what seems to be excessive toe wear on the inside? Drivers side is the primary offender.

I am planning on replacing the FLCA Bushings - Are the SuperPro legal parts? Or are the SuperPro/Buddy Club/or SPL control arms at all legal? Guessing no on the buddy club due to the ball joints.
https://www.suspension.com/superpro/spf3878k

Alignment Specs:
F/R
-3.3/-2.2 camber
0 toe / 1/16th inch toe in per side rear
?/? Caster - maxed with Ground Control Top Hats.

Suspension:
RCE T2 W/500 # springs
Hotckis Sway Bars
You could also look into the STI Group N front control arm bushings. Not something we stock but good pieces. Rubber and OEM shape but stiffer rubber.

Quote:
The second thought on my mind, I found my RCE T2 coilovers came with 500# springs on them vs 400# like they normally do. Think its a good idea to swap to 400?
It sounds like your car is also a track car? 500/500 is nice on track with the right tires and some light aero. There's some personal preference there too. Auto-x is a little different. Do you feel like something needs to change?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #233
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post

It sounds like your car is also a track car? 500/500 is nice on track with the right tires and some light aero. There's some personal preference there too. Auto-x is a little different. Do you feel like something needs to change?

- Andrew
My car sees both STX duty and HPDE and TT Duty. No aero atm(other than hood vents), and always on 200tw. I am doing more auto-x than track use lately. I've always been a pretty big fan of how the car is on the road course.

But, seems just to not have the grip(front and rear) I think I should for autox and very loose on tighter stuff, not sure if maybe its too stiff. The car does amazing in slaloms. My other thought is maybe my front coils are starting to wear out/have an issue, but that shouldn't lead to oversteer(I don't think). Rears were rebuilt 2 years ago.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #234
Breadman

Quote:
My car sees both STX duty and HPDE and TT Duty. No aero atm(other than hood vents), and always on 200tw. I am doing more auto-x than track use lately. I've always been a pretty big fan of how the car is on the road course.

But, seems just to not have the grip(front and rear) I think I should for autox and very loose on tighter stuff, not sure if maybe its too stiff. The car does amazing in slaloms. My other thought is maybe my front coils are starting to wear out/have an issue, but that shouldn't lead to oversteer(I don't think). Rears were rebuilt 2 years ago.

the harder i drive the more i notice how loose my back is. my back came out from me last this weekend and i will be setting my front sway from soft to stiff to try and get some more understeer
Old 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #235
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Typically, I've experienced that good in the slaloms (stable) tends to be a little pushier in the tight stuff. Is it loose on throttle on exit? If so, it might be on the pushy side and you are getting back on the throttle with a lot of steering input. I describe that as "pushy loose". You could also be dealing with sway bar bind.

Anyway, going with softer rates and adding front camber should help with grip.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #236
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:

Yeah a great road course set up may not work as well for you in STX!

Sounds like you could benefit from a step down in rates or a swaybar adjustment.

BUT...if you've had your rears rebuilt 2 years ago and your fronts never, they could have some decent wear. That's a pretty darn good run. I'd evaluate that and your suspension bushings first. Feel free to PM me to talk more!

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:22 PM   #237
Breadman

well after this weekend, after fixing my stuff, i set my perrin to stiff to try and get some understeer. also i need to stop driving like a complete jackass
Old 07-29-2020, 09:40 PM   #238
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
Typically, I've experienced that good in the slaloms (stable) tends to be a little pushier in the tight stuff. Is it loose on throttle on exit? If so, it might be on the pushy side and you are getting back on the throttle with a lot of steering input. I describe that as "pushy loose". You could also be dealing with sway bar bind.

Anyway, going with softer rates and adding front camber should help with grip.
Front camber help with rear grip? I am hesetantto add more front camber until I get something figured out on the front. After my last track day, the inside inch of my FR was shinny smooth and FL was about half as much, so I think I have a bad bushing or tie rod in the front, or something?

Corner exit oversteer for sure is a thing, especially in tight courses(we have small venues and 1 medium venue only).

I sometimes thing the car pushes, but I've had a couple of the better drivers in the area drive the car at autox and they both said its tail happy(1 is AWD guy, but can get in a S2k and set FTD in 2 runs).

Last edited by ka-t_240; 07-29-2020 at 10:31 PM.