follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #57
Muskoka800
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 253
Thanks: 1
Thanked 42 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Let's just hope the Boxer can live up to Toyota engine longevity where 300,00-400,000 trouble free kl is not uncommon. I come from the Yaris community where +500,000 kl is not uncommon. We have ~230,000 kl on a 2007 sedan with only an alternator replaced at 190,000 kl. Purrs like a kitten.
One delivery fellow in the Philippines rolled past 600,000 kl a while back. Only water-pump and alternator replacements required periodically. Take care and they last forever.

Last edited by Muskoka800; 09-18-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #58
equachie
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Drives: Subaru Brz - WRB
Location: Burlington - ONT
Posts: 21
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Funny enough, I had a Yaris prior to my BRZ . It had 396xxxkm on it. I gave it to my dad and it's still running amazing.
equachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #59
mb_
Ex-MR2 owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: Scion FRS
Location: BC
Posts: 124
Thanks: 29
Thanked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
116,000km with about 40 track days on a 2015.

Was daily driven year round until last winter when I unexpectedly picked up a winter beater
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #60
Lynxis
Senior Member
 
Lynxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 936
Thanks: 802
Thanked 513 Times in 340 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I suspect with regular driving and maintenance, there is no reason these motors won't run to at least 300000 km although hoping to get 400000 is a long shot.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #61
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 61,184
Thanks: 54,039
Thanked 89,169 Times in 39,483 Posts
Mentioned: 2237 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I suspect with regular driving and maintenance, there is no reason these motors won't run to at least 300000 km although hoping to get 400000 is a long shot.
Oh I hope they last longer than 300,000 since I am already at 260,000 or so. With proper maintenance and if not driven extremely hard all the time there really is no reason to expect them to die at any given mileage (kilometerage?). It isn't like they have a built in clock counting down the miles to a set point.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-03-2019), Lynxis (10-03-2019), RToyo86 (10-23-2019), wparsons (10-03-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #62
N234
Senior Member
 
N234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives:
Posts: 178
Thanks: 62
Thanked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
I've always had the mentality that it will be fine. I bought the car at ~175k kms, drove it for 2 weeks while getting it prepped for the track (pads, fluid, camber, RS4's). No signs of issues driving on the street. Go to the track, 4 laps in and a smoke-show (blown engine).

Wish I got the reliability you have for your track days!
A lot of mistreatment can happen during 175K. I'm sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully your next one is longer lived.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #63
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 786
Thanks: 517
Thanked 585 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh I hope they last longer than 300,000 since I am already at 260,000 or so. With proper maintenance and if not driven extremely hard all the time there really is no reason to expect them to die at any given mileage (kilometerage?). It isn't like they have a built in clock counting down the miles to a set point.
Highway miles probably help a lot when the miles start to stack up. Gets the oil nice and hot and burns off all the crap in the oil from short commutes.

I noticed the car ran great after putting a bunch of miles on in the last two weeks. After an hour or so at speed everything felt butter smooth compared to my 20 minute work commute.
RToyo86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-23-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #64
Pbrown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,622
Thanks: 1,243
Thanked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
135000 lms

And going strong. Just put winters on it yesterday. First time it will be seeing snow in 4 years. Getting Krowned next week.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pbrown For This Useful Post:
pushrod (11-03-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #65
Petah78
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2017 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 51
Thanks: 20
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting to see high mileage cars. Anyone with high mileage regularly tracks their cars? Mods? Oil weight used? Service intervals?
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 03 Acura 1.7 EL, 10 Acura CSX-S
Current: 17 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #66
N234
Senior Member
 
N234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives:
Posts: 178
Thanks: 62
Thanked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
Interesting to see high mileage cars. Anyone with high mileage regularly tracks their cars? Mods? Oil weight used? Service intervals?
I'm at 230K now. Second TOB and Clutch replacement complete. Still hit the track 5-10 times a summer, a couple autox, the polar bear rally (Ontario), driven all year.

Mods: OFT 1, brake and clutch fluid, brake MCB and strut tower brace, Driving school x3

Always 0W20 every 10K. First 200K I used OEM Idemitsu and OEM filter. The last 30 have been the Costco Castrol stuff and WIX filters.

You can exercise the engine all you want, if you warm it up in preparation.
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N234 For This Useful Post:
korhun (01-14-2020), Petah78 (01-14-2020), wparsons (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #67
Petah78
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2017 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 51
Thanks: 20
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N234 View Post
I'm at 230K now. Second TOB and Clutch replacement complete. Still hit the track 5-10 times a summer, a couple autox, the polar bear rally (Ontario), driven all year.

Mods: OFT 1, brake and clutch fluid, brake MCB and strut tower brace, Driving school x3

Always 0W20 every 10K. First 200K I used OEM Idemitsu and OEM filter. The last 30 have been the Costco Castrol stuff and WIX filters.

You can exercise the engine all you want, if you warm it up in preparation.


Wow, amazing! Thanks for the info. I didn't see it on your mod list but do you have an oil cooler? What year is your car? Always comforting to hear of samples that has been "well used" and lasting. What was the reason for the switch from OEM Idemitsu and OEM filter to Castrol/WIX?


Like you, I always idle the car for at least 30secs - 1 min before driving. I also wait until my oil (not water) is up to temp (i have oil temp gauge) before I start driving it harder.
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 03 Acura 1.7 EL, 10 Acura CSX-S
Current: 17 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #68
N234
Senior Member
 
N234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives:
Posts: 178
Thanks: 62
Thanked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
Wow, amazing! Thanks for the info. I didn't see it on your mod list but do you have an oil cooler? What year is your car? Always comforting to hear of samples that has been "well used" and lasting.


I ALWAYS wait until my oil (not water) is up to temp before I start driving it harder.
No oil cooler. I have strongly considered it.But... I've gone up to about 30 minute hotlap sessions without seeing issues. I wish I had an OIL temp gauge, to know for sure.

Apparently my OFT shoud tell me oil temp, but I dunno how to use it beyond switching between the 91 and 93 tune.
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #69
Petah78
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Drives: 2017 BRZ sport-tech
Location: Canada
Posts: 51
Thanks: 20
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N234 View Post
No oil cooler. I have strongly considered it.But... I've gone up to about 30 minute hotlap sessions without seeing issues. I wish I had an OIL temp gauge, to know for sure.

Apparently my OFT shoud tell me oil temp, but I dunno how to use it beyond switching between the 91 and 93 tune.


It's hard to install an oil cooler in our climate if the car is being used all seasons. Oil will never get up to temp. I think you can use torque app and a BT ODB reader and monitor oil temp. Not entirely sure how OFT works, havn't gone that far with my research yet. haha Believe it or not, the OEM temp guage was one of the factors when I was shopping.
__________________
Daijiro Katoh - Champion Forever!
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 03 Acura 1.7 EL, 10 Acura CSX-S
Current: 17 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #70
N234
Senior Member
 
N234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives:
Posts: 178
Thanks: 62
Thanked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
It's hard to install an oil cooler in our climate if the car is being used all seasons. Oil will never get up to temp. I think you can use torque app and a BT ODB reader and monitor oil temp. Not entirely sure how OFT works, havn't gone that far with my research yet. haha Believe it or not, the OEM temp guage was one of the factors when I was shopping.
There's a thread somewhere about the forester oil cooler mod. Shown in tests to warm you oil faster, as well as lower max temperatures.

I just noticed your earlier question about my switch to castrol/wix.
It's cheaper. It's consistent.
I dont want to switch oil brands/formulas all the time, so i grabbed the type of castrol synthetic that's been around since a decade ago. Wix manufacturers some OEM stuff,is well known, and is available on RockAuto.
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highest mileage FRS\BRZ Grishbok Subaru BRZ General Forum 200 09-22-2018 03:40 PM
Highest mileage 86 South Africa Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 5 02-26-2016 09:13 AM
Need a favor from a Canadian BRZ owner, (Canadian Base model with Manual Trans)) boomslang CANADA 1 09-07-2014 11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure I have the highest mileage BRZ in the country. Superhatch Subaru BRZ General Forum 66 01-23-2013 10:06 PM
Highest Mileage FR-S?!? BlaineWasHere Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 6 12-03-2012 10:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.