follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #1
Tonypepatone

Drives: 2013 ScionFRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie Kansas city hello!!

First off just got my frs a few months ago and it's about time I say hello! Well.. Hi. Quick couple questions though and its probably asked way too much. But ethanol free gas.. So far hy vee 91 here and no crickets and seems to be running okay. Anyone know of a place around KC with 93? Ethanol free of course. The BP on Westport was recently taken down off pure-gas.org and that's what I use to use until I switched to hy vee which got rid of crickets completely. BTW the attendant @bp swears it's e0 but I get some crickets coming through especially at half tank or under.. Is that my car saying he's lying??

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Tonypepatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonypepatone View Post
First off just got my frs a few months ago and it's about time I say hello! Well.. Hi. Quick couple questions though and its probably asked way too much. But ethanol free gas.. So far hy vee 91 here and no crickets and seems to be running okay. Anyone know of a place around KC with 93? Ethanol free of course. The BP on Westport was recently taken down off pure-gas.org and that's what I use to use until I switched to hy vee which got rid of crickets completely. BTW the attendant @bp swears it's e0 but I get some crickets coming through especially at half tank or under.. Is that my car saying he's lying??

No ethanol seems to help but is no guarantee of being cricket free.

You may get more responses to your question here since not everybody comes to the General section. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40415
Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ethanol content has nothing to do with crickets. That's a myth. Don't waste your energy worrying about that.

Different brands and blends of gas make a difference, but it's because of their additive packages (detergents and other components). Since it's nearly impossible to know what all is being added to your gas, your only hope is to find a station that gives you good results and stick with it. That perfect tank may come with or without ethanol. The reason SOME people have good luck with E0 is that the blends they have found are also using a different additive package from the mainstream blends.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Tonypepatone

Drives: 2013 ScionFRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Ethanol content has nothing to do with crickets. That's a myth. Don't waste your energy worrying about that.

Different brands and blends of gas make a difference, but it's because of their additive packages (detergents and other components). Since it's nearly impossible to know what all is being added to your gas, your only hope is to find a station that gives you good results and stick with it. That perfect tank may come with or without ethanol. The reason SOME people have good luck with E0 is that the blends they have found are also using a different additive package from the mainstream blends.
Thanks for the response. I have also noticed a 2mpg better fuel economy which is a plus. Also heard about knock with using 91 is their a way in noticing this?

Tonypepatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have also noticed a 2mpg better fuel economy which is a plus.
Yes, you should get better gas mileage with E0 than with gasoline with ethanol. Ethanol is not as efficient as gasoline. Take that, tree huggers.

Quote:
Also heard about knock with using 91 is their a way in noticing this?
The car will perform better on 93 than 91, but the manufacturer says that 91 is acceptable. You should be fine if that's what you have available. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a noticeable problem. You should be able to hear it if it knocks. If it knocks too badly, the sensors will throw a check engine light.

Additionally, in KC you're at about 1000 feet above sea level. As you go higher in elevation, you don't need as high an octane rating because the air is thinner. In mountainous areas, 91 is often as high as you can get, because 93 just isn't necessary. You're not in the mountains, but at 1000 feet you'll be a little better off with 91 than someone at sea level would be. I personally have run 91 in my car at sea level with no problems at all.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote