follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
USMC

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I did Raceseng reverce lock. I used a drill bit and punch out with small hammer. The only issue I had was that the cable loop was not aligned with the hole. I had to reach under the loop and push up to align with the hole. Works great and looks fine.
USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
http://perrinperformance.com/attachment/74807-.pdf
Old 03-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
Zed

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited GBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPhD View Post
Well, I tried installing my raceseng lockout (which looks amazing) but can't get the pin out. I tried a hammer and 3/32" punch but it wouldn't budge after the pin came out about 3/8" and then the punch snapped off inside the hole. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I am in similar situation as I have portions of small philips screwdriver broken in the hole as well... Anyone have suggestions on how to remove embedded broken pieces? (other than getting another punch and power through...)
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #18
leicaboss
Coffee Snob

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I am in similar situation as I have portions of small philips screwdriver broken in the hole as well... Anyone have suggestions on how to remove embedded broken pieces? (other than getting another punch and power through...)
You need a solid punch, literally, not one that is hollow in the middle. It'll push it out - sadly it's going to be tough because your screwdriver might have expanded the pin some.
leicaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leicaboss For This Useful Post:
Zed (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #19
Zed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaboss View Post
You need a solid punch, literally, not one that is hollow in the middle. It'll push it out - sadly it's going to be tough because your screwdriver might have expanded the pin some.
Yes this is what I am afraid of... I am also thinking the hole may have been damaged due to improper tool use... I plan on swinging by the hardware store to pick up real punches and trying again this weekend. Fingers crossed that I finally get to finish this mod
Old 03-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
leicaboss
Coffee Snob

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Yes this is what I am afraid of... I am also thinking the hole may have been damaged due to improper tool use... I plan on swinging by the hardware store to pick up real punches and trying again this weekend. Fingers crossed that I finally get to finish this mod
Too bad I'm up in SF, my tools are all in LA too, woulda helped ya out. Good luck though!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro...e-34/100507476

The above set is the one I found through trial and error to be available at Home Depots (check online first) for pickup and aren't too expensive. Nice to have punches around anyway. Use a mallet or cover the punch with a towel so when you bash it the paint won't flake off and get everywhere in your cabin.

Edit: and put your car into reverse first, and hold your shifter firmly. You don't want to be bashing up your trans.
leicaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leicaboss For This Useful Post:
Zed (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #21
Zed

Thanks, Ill look into that brand. Any ol hammer will work with the punch? or should I be looking into some fancy rubber mallet types? I was hacking away via metal headed hammer and philips screwdriver (which no doubt made some lasting scars on the trans ). Detailed Recount

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaboss View Post
Too bad I'm up in SF, my tools are all in LA too, woulda helped ya out. Good luck though!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dasco-Pro...e-34/100507476

The above set is the one I found through trial and error to be available at Home Depots (check online first) for pickup and aren't too expensive. Nice to have punches around anyway. Use a mallet or cover the punch with a towel so when you bash it the paint won't flake off and get everywhere in your cabin.

Edit: and put your car into reverse first, and hold your shifter firmly. You don't want to be bashing up your trans.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #22
daveylee

Drives: blue FRS
Thank guys i finally got it. much love
daveylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
E46toFT86

Drives: IB '05 E46 M3 ZCP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Reviving this thread...

Thanks to everyone with tips/tricks on the install. It was entirely way TOO EASY when I installed mine. Took maybe 5 min MAX. Just used a 3/32 drill bit & hammered through while it was in Reverse gear.

'05 Interlagos Blue
E46toFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E46toFT86 For This Useful Post:
BAMF86 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #24
Zed

I tried this again last night to little success with the proper punch. The broken bit of screwdriver is somehow embedded with the pin. As I hammered the punch, it would get caught between the broken screwdriver bit and the empty space inside which then wedged the punch off center. Anyone have ideas on how to remove the broken bits inside the hole? I was thinking a strong magnet may help ease it out but I'm not positive it will be that easy...
Old 04-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #25
fguadamuz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Silver M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just installed mine. Pin was hard as everyone stated. Used a Allen key 3/32.

Spent 10 min hitting it out and also spent 15 getting the ashiko knob to align right. Will post pics soon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fguadamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #26
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Question

Where can I get a punch pin ? Canadian tire didn't know what this was ?!?
Isn't this just one of those punch metal spikes with rubber on the end?

Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #27
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
Where can I get a punch pin ? Canadian tire didn't know what this was ?!?
Isn't this just one of those punch metal spikes with rubber on the end?

I was going to say, you can borrow mine. You posted in the wrong forum! But good on you for searching.

In any case, if somebody wants to borrow a pin punch, let me know. A center punch (has a point on the end) might be a bit easier, but I took mine off a few times already. It's very easy.

Here's how my Beatrush looks

and fellows owners sometimes comment on my black interior parts, so

For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #28
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
I was going to say, you can borrow mine. You posted in the wrong forum! But good on you for searching.

In any case, if somebody wants to borrow a pin punch, let me know. A center punch (has a point on the end) might be a bit easier, but I took mine off a few times already. It's very easy.

Here's how my Beatrush looks

and fellows owners sometimes comment on my black interior parts, so

Thanks, I ended up using a 3/32 allen key to start, as mentioned above. Then I was able to knock out the pin at the end with a small finishing nail that fit through the hole. I did have a punch pin sort of tool that was of a three pack that I used to start off the hole process, but it was thin then was too thick at the top.

I now have installed my Raceseng reverse lockout. I'm still getting used to the Raceseng knob...looks really sharp and shifts well, just not sure about it. Only time will tell.

Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote