follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #3431
Spankopotomous

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I hate the road noise and wish for a more comfortable ride.

Back in February 19 I got my stock asphalt manual 13 FR-S with 34k miles. I drive roughly 1.3k L.A. traffic highway miles a month and I hate the road noise/ride quality. Upgrading from stock tires to 225/45/17 MPS4's improved grip immensely but did nothing to quiet road noise. Shouting to passengers or listening to the stock radio between 40-50 volume on the highway seems excessive.

I love the sports car weight and handling, it feels like riding a guided missile barreling down the 110. Now the car is approaching 60k/a major service interval. I can't help to imagine that some dynamat, sound deadening, lightweight 17x9+35's, a sound tube delete, or new bushings/window seals may be in order.

These are over exaggerations but I really believe the car can be improved to a true GT.

Has anyone built and achieved a comfortable "GT" build?
Spankopotomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #3432
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankopotomous View Post

Back in February 19 I got my stock asphalt manual 13 FR-S with 34k miles. I drive roughly 1.3k L.A. traffic highway miles a month and I hate the road noise/ride quality. Upgrading from stock tires to 225/45/17 MPS4's improved grip immensely but did nothing to quiet road noise. Shouting to passengers or listening to the stock radio between 40-50 volume on the highway seems excessive.

I love the sports car weight and handling, it feels like riding a guided missile barreling down the 110. Now the car is approaching 60k/a major service interval. I can't help to imagine that some dynamat, sound deadening, lightweight 17x9+35's, a sound tube delete, or new bushings/window seals may be in order.

These are over exaggerations but I really believe the car can be improved to a true GT.

Google is your friend

That being said, the second page of that thread the guy says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
It's probably not Lexus LS quiet. The real limiting factor at this point is the frameless windows. Road and engine noise are down significantly, but there's still some wind noise, and there's not much I can do about it.

I measured it around 85 dB with the app on my old phone at 65mph on the highway, and 78 dB after the sound deadening. I don't know how accurate that app is, so the numbers are probably off (I've already been challenged that there's no way the BRZ reaches 85 dB at that speed), but the 7 dB reduction is probably about accurate. Remember, it's a logarithmic scale, so 10 dB = 10 x as loud.

As a better example, I took someone for a ride who did not know that I had done any sound deadening, and he remarked that he was surprised how quiet it was. I'd certainly be up for doing an actual comparison with an accurate SPL meter, perhaps at a meet or some other event where we could compare my car to a stock car at the same speed on the same road.

As for the headliner, there is nothing securing the Thinsulate. It's just sandwiched between the headliner (which is actually quite stiff) and the roof. One nice thing about treating the headliner is that you lose the "rain drops on a tin roof" sound when it rains. Raindrops make practically no noise on the roof now.

I'll post a more detailed write up on it once I have a chance (maybe tonight), but for now the pics are available in the imgur album in the first post.

I paid about $600 for all the materials. In retrospect, my amount of CLD was a bit low (I used 45 and could likely have found room for another 5 without too much trouble), my amount of CCF was too high (I only used half of what I ordered, since there was already foam below the carpet), and my MLV and Thinsulate were right on the money.

I should also add that if you're doing any JDM interior pieces (like the kneepads or armrest), or if you're installing upgraded speakers, do them at the same time. Taking all these panels off makes those upgrades very fast and easy.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #3433
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

...sound tube delete...
My experience is that the sound tube isn't that loud, but the noise it brings into the cabin are in an especially bothersome frequency (at least for me, making my ears hurt after even a short drive).

I tested this by driving around stock, then plugging the sound tube with the 12V socket cover from the glove box and driving some more. Noise level hasn't changed much, but the noise profile is pretty different. It's free, so give it a try.

Since then I replaced the intake with a Perrin one that deletes the sound tube entirely. Still noisy, especially tire noise on the highway, but barrable for me. I don't commute much, though.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #3434
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Worst things about the car for a daily driver are definitely the door checks and for those of us without backup cameras, rear visibility at night is terrible for parallel parking. reverse lights barely light anything up due to how low they are.

Yeah a backup camera is really needed with the FR-S. I have a 2016 and it has one. I think that is the year it was required in all cars? I find the reverse lights work pretty good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #3435
JesseG

Quote:

I don’t think I would like driving my car in LA traffic, Dallas traffic is bad enough. Unfortunately the FRS isn’t ever going to be very comfortable or quiet, unless you go to extreme lengths. And then you start to wonder wouldn’t a different car be better? I’m jealous of some of the amazing roads you have in California, but the traffic would kill me in this car.
Some tips that you and others have mentioned, better tires can help, get rid of the sound tube it sucks, and maybe have a good shop install some dynamat? Unless you feel comfortable doing that yourself. Other than that I can’t think of anything else. Do you have manual or the auto?
Honestly if I lived in LA and having the FRS as a second option wasn’t possible, I would get a better GT type car. Something like the Golf R would be perfect. Comfortable but still fun, and if you get the DSG trans, it is excellent at being docile or fast shifting. And if the AWD seems like overkill, a new GTI could be great.
You will lose most of the mechanical raw feel of the FRS, but you won’t be miserable in traffic.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #3436
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
third brake light is a simple mod to move up to the top.
True. I'm getting there. And I think it's more of an issue for us slightly below average height people as far as it getting in the way of the rear view.

On the plus side of the below average height thing, that little quarter window in back lets me see perfectly out to where my blind spot would be, so yay for that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-30-2020), soundman98 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #3437
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
True. I'm getting there. And I think it's more of an issue for us slightly below average height people as far as it getting in the way of the rear view.

On the plus side of the below average height thing, that little quarter window in back lets me see perfectly out to where my blind spot would be, so yay for that.

Now that’s looking at the glass half full I have to duck my head a little to look through the rear quarter windows.

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (09-30-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #3438
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Here is a somewhat related thread you might investigate:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138549
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #3439
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
AC control panel. Too much space wasted. They could have easily created a good size pocket at the bottom to throw a wallet, sunglasses, etc.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #3440
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

trade in the 13 for a 17+ (18+ for the available more premium dual HVAC interior) and you'll probably get as close to "GT" comfort as you can get without modding anything
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #3441
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
AC control panel. Too much space wasted. They could have easily created a good size pocket at the bottom to throw a wallet, sunglasses, etc.
That cubby (even smaller in the keyless cars) makes me feel like the car arrived just a little too late and they weren't prepared for the growth in phone size at that time. I suppose the only thing you could fit there that would make sense would be an iPod from back in the day and plug your little aux cord in right next to it, but even those were already on their way out by that time, too. It really is wasted space.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
ElijahF (10-01-2020), Mic7796 (10-02-2020), Tcoat (10-02-2020), The Red One (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #3442
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
That cubby . . . really is wasted space
If this was a British sports car you would need proper accommodations for a cell phone because you would regularly use it to call for a tow truck. Being a Toyobaru, the designers felt there was no such need.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LimitedSlip For This Useful Post:
Mic7796 (10-02-2020), soundman98 (10-01-2020), Ultramaroon (10-07-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #3443
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedSlip View Post
If this was a British sports car you would need proper accommodations for a cell phone because you would regularly use it to call for a tow truck. Being a Toyobaru, the designers felt there was no such need.
Actually, the little slot in the cupholder was perfectly sized for the iPhone of the time...unless you were charging it. A lot of smartphones will still fit there, so they did provision for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Mic7796 (10-02-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #3444
JesseG

Quote:
Actually, the little slot in the cupholder was perfectly sized for the iPhone of the time...unless you were charging it. A lot of smartphones will still fit there, so they did provision for it.

It can’t hold much, so I just use it to hold the remote to my apartment gate. And sometimes my wallet on a longer drive. It’s sort of useful.

Tags
ha ha!, hate, playerhatersball, potatopants