follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #253
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shneegle View Post
Ill be going to all the Equipe Rapide Events and SCCA events this year. Look for the group of twins with STX on them and your welcome to ride along for some run with any of us really. We have a good group of people at these events, most of the time you can ask anyone for a ride and they have no issues with it.
Ill be at most of the SCCA events, maybe a few ER this year. seconded that its a pretty friendly bunch, just about everyone happily gives rides not just the twins.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #254
VADERR
Completely Lost

Drives: 2015 CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'll be at most all of the events next year too! All of us 86 guys are very welcoming and like to have fun above all else. I'll either be in a black BRZ, a blue boss 302, or a silver C5 vette but I will always be found somewhere around the 86 guys talking way more shit than I can back up 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VADERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #255
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I've got the perfect set of c street wheels for when you decide to get serious, I'll give you a great deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:43 PM   #256
jph11

Drives: Still deciding
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I am in a dilemma, MOney mainly being the primary issue haha. Ill see what you guys think.

Backstory, Picked up the BRZ last april, so coming up on our anniversary here soon.
Ran a few events out at cresson as well as started autocrossing. Over the last year I have added:
Eibach pro kit springs
18x8.75 wheels on ventus v12s
JDL Header
JDL overpipe
JDL Mid
Perrin cat back
Custom OFT Tune from shiv

I could tell last year that tires were definitely holding me back. Everyone is saying go with R71Rs so that is the plan. But then comes money...

Regardless I will be picking up at least a set for Autocross/track only, but the question is:

do I buy the tires for my old stock wheels and use them for track ant autox only, or is it really worth it to wait until i can afford wider (most likely RPF1s) track wheels and tires.
Do we think the stock size width to aftermarket width is making that much of a difference, or do you guys think it is negligible between the two.
I guess the question is, What kind of times were we seeing last year from c street cars vs stx cars (on stock wheels) with racing tires.

Last edited by jph11; 02-08-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: forgot stuffs
jph11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #257
TacoTacoBear

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
Spectators address welcomed, most of the clubs allow passengers too (it's free or like $1 for a head sock and loaner helmet). Try it, you'll like it (as long as your ego can stand getting beaten by way slower cars).

Dfwautocross.com had a calendar with all the events. I'm at almost all of them and give out rides like they are going out of style.

-Sam

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I'll definitely try to make it to these events, seems like a friendly bunch. I'm almost set, just need cooling, better brake pads and maybe an extra set of tires. Probably will start out with the HPDE events first.

Really wish autosports were mainstream in the states, it's challenging trying to track down these events or even find a stream for them.
TacoTacoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #258
14stu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTacoBear View Post
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I'll definitely try to make it to these events, seems like a friendly bunch. I'm almost set, just need cooling, better brake pads and maybe an extra set of tires. Probably will start out with the HPDE events first.

Really wish autosports were mainstream in the states, it's challenging trying to track down these events or even find a stream for them.
Autocross won't require any special prep and is easier on the car and driver than an HPDE. You should start with autocross then transition to HPDE, track night in america, and the new SCCA Time Trials (PDX in addition to the Club Trials). All the twins need are tires(for time you can learn on the OEMs), upgraded pads and fluid for HPDE. Autocross you just need tires (again you can have fun on the Prius tires but you won't be fast).
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
TacoTacoBear (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #259
VADERR
Completely Lost

A 225 tire is not going to have near the grip that a 245 tire of the same compound will. However, based on how serious you want to be about being "competitive" and the experience level you have it really may not be worth it to you to spend the money of the wider wheel and bigger more expensive tires. If it were me I would slap some rival s's or re71s (225's) on my old set of stockers and with the money I saved I would go to as many events as I could. Then when I felt like it really was the smaller tire holding me back I might consider the upgrade in wheel/tire size. To be honest most of the CS cars were faster than the local STX cars last year and that just goes to show that the mods don't make the car fast. Seat time, seat time, seat time, and more seat time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph11 View Post
So I am in a dilemma, MOney mainly being the primary issue haha. Ill see what you guys think.

Backstory, Picked up the BRZ last april, so coming up on our anniversary here soon.
Ran a few events out at cresson as well as started autocrossing. Over the last year I have added:
Eibach pro kit springs
JDL Header
JDL overpipe
JDL Mid
Perrin cat back

I could tell last year that tires were definitely holding me back. Everyone is saying go with R71Rs so that is the plan. But then comes money...

Regardless I will be picking up at least a set for Autocross/track only, but the question is:

do I buy the tires for my old stock wheels and use them for track ant autox only, or is it really worth it to wait until i can afford wider (most likely RPF1s) track wheels and tires.
Do we think the stock size width to aftermarket width is making that much of a difference, or do you guys think it is negligible between the two.
I guess the question is, What kind of times were we seeing last year from c street cars vs stx cars (on stock wheels) with racing tires.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #260
14stu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph11 View Post

Eibach pro kit springs
JDL Header
JDL overpipe
JDL Mid
Perrin cat back

Get some 17x9 wheels for stx with some 245/40/17 RE71's, sell the 18" you have. You'll end up saving money on the cheaper tires even after buying 17" wheels (you don't have to go with rpf1's and won't really be giving up much of anything with any wheel around 20lbs, and you can save hundreds of dollars).
jph11 (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:14 PM   #261
VADERR
Completely Lost

Just for reverence the gentleman (kid) that won the overall novice drivers championship was in a BONE STOCK focus ST. He was even on rotting stock tires. Step one is coming to an event and then you'll be hooked and basically like a crack addict... but with tires/wheels lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTacoBear View Post

Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #262
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADERR View Post
To be honest most of the CS cars were faster than the local STX cars last year and that just goes to show that the mods don't make the car fast. Seat time, seat time, seat time, and more seat time.
Driver mod is best mod!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #263
14stu

Garage
I finally got around to uploading last week's races to youtube:

Lone Star BMWCCA 2/27

ER#1 2/28 My Fastest

ER#1 2/28 Shneegle's Fastest

Old 03-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #264
14stu

Garage
Aside from the wind, it was a wonderful day out at Lone Star Park for the first NTAXS race of the season. I managed to edge out Nick by about half a second for 3rd place in the super competitive class one, and we both managed to keep ahead of the formidable Kenny Baker in his FRS. Way to go CStreetgang!

Here is the video of my fastest run:

Old 03-14-2016, 09:35 PM   #265
14stu

Garage
Well, STX is going to be incredibly competitive all season. I managed to edge out Shneegle for the win (by 0.086 seconds). Even more impressive was that we both managed top 20 pax finishes (14 and 16) respectively out of nearly 190 competitors!

Video:
Brzzee (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #266
VADERR
Completely Lost

SO I feel like since I am driving the vette this year instead of my 86 I should wear more short sleeve button ups and grow more chest hair... Thoughts lol? Also considering calf high white socks.

Also I didn't realize how much I would miss racing with ya'll... the codriver area seemed so far away from ya'll on sunday

Tags
autocross, dfw, texas, track