follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wastegate pivot leaking

Hello,

I have a Works turbo stage 2 on my car, about 2k miles so far. I found a leak at the wastegate pivot. I did some researching to try to fix this. I adjusted the rod so there was no play but seems to have a little play. Not sure if this is normal or not. The leaking happens without any revs, i start the car up and wait a few seconds then leaks.

Am I gonna have to replace the hot side of the turbo? the pic below is the leaking it does only after like a minute or two or leaving the car on from cold start.
Attached Images

airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
airrick

Videos of the leaks while car is on.

just seeing how much play i have.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #3
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If it’s knew to you with only 2,000 miles I would think works would warranty or at least inspect and repair, have you reached out to them ?
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
If it’s knew to you with only 2,000 miles I would think works would warranty or at least inspect and repair, have you reached out to them ?
oh yea, i forgot to mention. Its a used one. i got it from a dude that said it was like 100 miles before his rod made a hole in his block. Yea i know thats not very good to hear. When i bought the turbo kit, everything was very new. There wasn't any carb/dirt/whatever in the exhaust pipes, but who knows what how long he did drive it though. I'm thinking his recall work had something to do with the engine failure.

Anyways, I have tried to call works, left them a voicemail and sent them an email. Will most likely call them again later and try to make it over to them. I just wanted to see if anyone here with more turbo experience would know what to do or went through something like this.

Googling this issue, apparently there is a bushing in the flapper. I'm thinking it's gone bad.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Waste gate shaft play

Quote:
Originally Posted by airrick View Post
oh yea, i forgot to mention. Its a used one. i got it from a dude that said it was like 100 miles before his rod made a hole in his block. Yea i know thats not very good to hear. When i bought the turbo kit, everything was very new. There wasn't any carb/dirt/whatever in the exhaust pipes, but who knows what how long he did drive it though. I'm thinking his recall work had something to do with the engine failure.

Anyways, I have tried to call works, left them a voicemail and sent them an email. Will most likely call them again later and try to make it over to them. I just wanted to see if anyone here with more turbo experience would know what to do or went through something like this.

Googling this issue, apparently there is a bushing in the flapper. I'm thinking it's gone bad.
Maybe call Jon Bond of Jon Bond Performance. He is all knowing of everything supercharger. I know it’s a turbo. But I’ll bet possibly you could send him the unit and he can make the bushing. I had issues with the same type of situation with my sprintex supercharger. They have a know leak at the bypass valve shaft a manufacturer defect. He created an oring shaft repair by creating a and making a bronze bushing. He is that great. I would reach out to him mention you talked to me Steve Roby. I’m sure he can get it squared away. Hope this helps ��

Last edited by sroby; 08-17-2020 at 07:27 PM.
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
airrick (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:21 PM   #6
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
Maybe call Jon Bond of Jon Bond Performance. He is all knowing of everything supercharger. I know it’s a turbo. But I’ll bet possibly you could send him the unit and he can make the bushing. I had issues with the same type of situation with my sprintex supercharger. They have a know leak at the bypass valve shaft a manufacturer defect. He created an oring shaft repair by creating a and making a bronze bushing. He is that great. I would reach out to him mention you talked to me Steve Roby. I’m sure he can get it squared away. Hope this helps ��

I'll most probably just get works to help me out. They're only about an hour away from me.

but if anything this will be a last resort.

appreciate the advise!
Old 08-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #7
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Is it leading to a boost leak or messing with the o2 sensor messing up air/fuel? If not then maybe you can live with it?
Old 08-18-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Hard to tell but that does not look to bad. It has to be loose when it is cold, remember when it is hot everything is a different size. If you are not having any issues I would not worry about it.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
airrick (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #9
airrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Hard to tell but that does not look to bad. It has to be loose when it is cold, remember when it is hot everything is a different size. If you are not having any issues I would not worry about it.
Oh thats right, forgot about that. I’m not have issues with driving or anything. Just being caution before it turns into a big problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Is it leading to a boost leak or messing with the o2 sensor messing up air/fuel? If not then maybe you can live with it?

I dont think its missing with the A/F and boost seems to be holding fine. Most likely ill live with it since a new turbine housing is like $500 lol. Just wanna err on the side of caution before this tiny problem becomes a way bigger one.

Sorry for for noob question but how would i know if its messing with the o2 sensor? The car would be driving rich or rough right? I know my tune is on the rich side. (Tuner intended this)

I guess i’ll know something is up when my turbo blanket goes bad. Haha its soaking up the exhaust gas/fluid.
Attached Images