follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2021, 08:40 AM   #1
boksajak

Drives: Inferno Orange
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Going from MPSS to PS4

Hi there,

did anyone here went from Michelin Pilot Super Sports to new Pilot Sport 4 (without the S suffix)? Stock sizes.

Would be good to hear from someone with this experience, as on the internets some seem to claim they're essentially the same, other claim PS4 is much worse, or better. And there's confusion with PS4S....

I've unfortunately hit the curb with my MPSS :/ And they're 6 years old with 60000 kilometers, so I should probably swap them out anyway.

Thanks!
Attached Images

boksajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Imho 6 years are way too long for use of tires, and if they last that long due little driving .. i'd probably sell them off after 4th year and use that money to partially recoup cost of news.
That aside, PS4 are nice tires, have lot of grip, are quiet, have immense wet grip .. but they are more street oriented then PSS, thus it's quicker to hit their limits when you overheat them on track. Then again, if your tire set lasted 6 years, i doubt you drive on track too, as then probably tire hardly would last one season .
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:28 AM   #3
boksajak

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Imho 6 years are way too long for use of tires, and if they last that long due little driving .. i'd probably sell them off after 4th year and use that money to partially recoup cost of news.
That aside, PS4 are nice tires, have lot of grip, are quiet, have immense wet grip .. but they are more street oriented then PSS, thus it's quicker to hit their limits when you overheat them on track. Then again, if your tire set lasted 6 years, i doubt you drive on track too, as then probably tire hardly would last one season .
Thanks! I don't track the car, once I do I'll get another set of wheels dedicated to that. After 6 years, these don't grip as they should. But since MPSS is not sold anymore in this size, I wasn't very keen on replacing them yet
Old 05-29-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I ran MPSS on my FD for a couple of years. At best, I thought they were a bit overrated. After 18 months, they lost any semblance of grip and became somewhat diabolical. I've never had a tire "age out" so quickly, with half tread depth remaining. I've since heard others suggest that max-perf Michelins in general have great grip when new and not-so-great with some wear, but take that with grain of salt...

If you are noticing a lack of grip on the street, at very low limits, as I did, it is past time to replace them!

I'm running Continental ExtremeContact Sports on my BRZ and I like them a lot. You might consider them as an alternative.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
SCFD (05-30-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
boksajak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
If you are noticing a lack of grip on the street....
I definitely do, in the wet it's like riding on sleds Thanks for the suggestion. Any thoughts on PS4? Compared to MPSS
Old 05-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boksajak View Post
I definitely do, in the wet it's like riding on sleds Thanks for the suggestion. Any thoughts on PS4? Compared to MPSS
No experience with PS4, I'm sure they're fine. But I do put less faith in all the Michelin-worship given my MPSS experience... I do like the Conti ECS better overall than MPSS, so far anyway.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If you're able to get 60k km out of pss then you probably won't notice the difference in the PS4.

Odd, tirerack doesn't list a good size for PS4 for us, looks like the PS4 is less aggressive then the ps4s from my two seconds of googling, probably a good fit for your use.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
No experience with PS4, I'm sure they're fine. But I do put less faith in all the Michelin-worship given my MPSS experience... I do like the Conti ECS better overall than MPSS, so far anyway.
I made the same move, from MPSS to ECS. You comment mirror my existences as well. I was very underwhelmed with MPSS after a few months. My ECS have served me well for 3+ years. It's soon time to replace them as well.

Op, based on the lack of wear you're seeing I'd suggest you look outside of the Michilen line up, and even explore dropping down a performance category or two. I'm planning on going with ultra high performance all seasons for my next set. Looking at Tirerack's testing they rate well and would likely work well with my climate. If you're in a hotter climate an ultra high performance summer might be a better choice. The more time I spend driving on performance tires the more I'm coming to the conclusion that temperature/climate is a large factor that is often ignored in the decision process. All seasons are designed to work well down to just above freezing, and even a little below. At 5°C my ECS are like bricks. I just wish I could test drive tires before I buy.

Edit, looking at the test results for the Pilot Sport All Season 4 vs the PS4S (with the suffix) is only 0.04g in max cornering forces. I'll give up that tiny reduction in hot weather max performance if it means the car isn't jarring to drive when it's cold out.

Last edited by Calum; 05-29-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #9
boksajak

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned I've only driven last 12k kilometers on these myself (since I bought the car), and I'm taking it regularly on the derestricted autobahn doing 200km/h and more, so I'll probably better stick with some performance tires. I'll take a closer look at ECS and PS4
Old 05-31-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I ran 215 MPSS for about 15 to 20k miles and replaced with 225 PS4S.

I basically notice no difference. The only thing i noticed is that the outer edge wore quicker than the rest of the tire (no wasn't my alignment, it's something to do with the rubber they use on the edges) and basically started to have those microcracks. PS4S has shown no signs of doing that. I vaguely remember the MPSS being stickier as in picking up every piece of debris and stone on the road, whereas i don't notice it too much on the newer tire.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
boksajak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I ran 215 MPSS for about 15 to 20k miles and replaced with 225 PS4S.

I basically notice no difference. The only thing i noticed is that the outer edge wore quicker than the rest of the tire (no wasn't my alignment, it's something to do with the rubber they use on the edges) and basically started to have those microcracks. PS4S has shown no signs of doing that. I vaguely remember the MPSS being stickier as in picking up every piece of debris and stone on the road, whereas i don't notice it too much on the newer tire.
Thanks! I've ordered PS4, I'm sure they'll be fine. PS4S isn't available here in 17 size and ECS isn't sold at all.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #12
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
boksajak: try bridgestone potenza sport. Only new tire of PSS class with 17 size in EU aswell.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
boksajak (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #13
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boksajak View Post
Thanks! I've ordered PS4, I'm sure they'll be fine. PS4S isn't available here in 17 size and ECS isn't sold at all.
Ah, i missed that little detail. My fault.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:17 AM   #14
boksajak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Ah, i missed that little detail. My fault.
No worries, good to know that Bridgestone is available and up par to MPSS I ordered what was available within a week shipping (that was PS4) because I can't drive now with that damaged tire - it started to bulge.