follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2021, 01:05 AM   #29
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can see more tire and wheel coming in the future. I put the summer tires back on this week. They're stock sized Pilot S4s. After having 235/45 AS Yoko Advans on this winter.

Noticeable difference between stock wheels on winter tires vs the stock size summer tire and RPF1s.

So far so good. The slippery slope will be replacing the dampers and likely moving into more urethane bushings. The new torque input has caused a bit of soft bushing feel when really laying into it. No rush to fix it as I don't have to track drive on my commute. But if I beat on it a bit, I can feel it needs more stiffness in places. Just not sure where all those are just yet.

Time to visit the suspension threads.

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I was kinda getting the feeling I'd be underwhelmed and have to keep going. I know I'm in the honeymoon phase still, but I don't see this car needing much more for my goals. I do have some clutch shudder, but that's largely the whiteline bushing I put in the trans mount. It was there before the SC after the clutch installation when I added it.

Last edited by jeepmor; 05-20-2021 at 07:49 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
Brz-123 (05-20-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #30
Brz-123

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
A few more days down the line, how does it feel?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Brz-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz-123 For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:15 AM   #31
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brz-123 View Post
A few more days down the line, how does it feel?
It's not all I thought it was initially and definitely has room to grow on my stock headers. But it's much more fun and passing is quite brisk now. A complete hoot to drive compared to stock. Another level for sure. As a base HKS provided tune. I'm happy because I know I'm safe with it.

It's a commuter, not a race car. I've never tracked it, but do enjoy a lot of mountain roads that I don't push the car to the limit through too much due to public roads and all. But I have warped the stock front rotor for reference. But I blame subaru for that, their rotors suck. Did that on my Outback too, twice. Went with Centric and HPS blue pads and stainless brake lines when I had the clutch changed. I had them on the bench, but never made the time to install them so I just got rolled in with the clutch work.

It still has the stock tune feel in regards it doesn't come on really hard until your about 4500 rpm. But you don't have downshift through the torque dip anymore, it's linear now.

I still like the grocery getting vs getting it on characteristic. Your just going faster everywhere with more ease now. First gear feels like it needs to be a bit taller anymore on a launch you have to shift so quick. But that's a 4.10 rear end for you.

Pulls are much better, but I'm still breaking in my new clutch and it has some chatter I have to wear in more. Stage 2 exedy clutch via Southbend. Started slipping it harder occasionally the past few days and it's finally breaking in. It was an issue before the SC install as my TOB failed about a month before it arrived so I beefed up all the clutch package. That bit was an expensive incidental as I also parked it for two weeks while parts came in and rented a car so I didn't grenade the TOB. Glad I did, the plastic slide bit of it was shot, and the metal housing was pretty mangled for still working. If I tried to drive it through that parts gap, it would have completely grenaded on me.

Last edited by jeepmor; 06-20-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Brz-123 (06-20-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #32
jeepmor

At the three month or so mark with the SC, I'm pretty happy. Still hasn't thrown a code or given a bother. I worried a bit about some noises, but can't find anything. Little bit of learning curve I guess.

I now think I understand my wheel hop issue better and am planning to use the Whiteline bushing kit(s) for the rear. I don't see more than Whiteline for those bushings unless anyone can steer me elsewhere. Read the DIY thread.

The added power and 350 ftlb clutch (almost a switch) makes it pretty noticeable when you goose it hard, or don't shift smooth enough. I've chirped the tires on a failed downshift recently letting off the clutch too fast and not rev matched.
Tatsu333 (11-11-2021)