follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2016, 08:45 PM   #29
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
I brought a set speaker off a white van before, same excuse like other white van. The seller claim it used same driver as Bose. I forgot what was the brand (unheard of) but the quality looks good for $150. I made sure it is exactly the same item they show me and went home tested it, it sounds really nice. Show it to my roommate and my friend, they were really impressed how clear and nice it sounds. They went out to hunt down the mini van and brought 2 set of same speakers.
If you were in Chicago I'd offer disabuse you of that false notion. On the other hand, enjoy?

My other big hobby is designing speakers.... I might be both picky and spoiled...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #30
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
If you were in Chicago I'd offer disabuse you of that false notion. On the other hand, enjoy?

My other big hobby is designing speakers.... I might be both picky and spoiled...
Are you on the AVSforum/DIY section or any of the other DIY speaker forums?

People who have never been exposed to great sound are happy with what they have because they don't know any better. Once they hear music they like in a well designed room with quality speakers, a whole new world opens up for them to spend money on.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #31
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Are you on the AVSforum/DIY section or any of the other DIY speaker forums?

People who have never been exposed to great sound are happy with what they have because they don't know any better. Once they hear music they like in a well designed room with quality speakers, a whole new world opens up for them to spend money on.
AVSforum is... well. No. I've tried to help out there but it seems a few too many audiophools... though not all. I have an account there and a handful of other sites, but now mostly publish my stuff on a site I set up for that purpose (all free for anyone to build for themselves or a friend.) Forums got too tough to follow, or have multiple posts on the same design. I've done some of the gatherings when I can, mostly Chicago but also InDIYana and the one in Iowa. Don't really want to go into it more, but if you're curious about more specifics feel free to PM me.

C
Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #32
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I'm on and off with AVS. There's a lot of good information there, but you have to dig through people asking the same questions every day and others insisting their cables are better. I don't have the tools, room, or knowledge to design my own speakers, so I'm happy to use others' proven designs.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #33
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I'm on and off with AVS. There's a lot of good information there, but you have to dig through people asking the same questions every day and others insisting their cables are better. I don't have the tools, room, or knowledge to design my own speakers, so I'm happy to use others' proven designs.
LOL! Sounds just like the forum at Head-Fi these days. The fight about silver vs copper cables as stiff as a coat hanger is a daily occurance and I no longer bother reading there. If I give a bad opinion on a headphone I listened to at a store, people would bombard me with a dozen PMs trying to tell me I'm wrong because what they bought is the best!

The white van speaker is one end of the spectrum, while on the other end of the spectrum I think there is also too much snake oil being sold to the wealthy folks these days.

BTW the same white van speaker scam exists but in the form of an SUV with an Italian dude claiming he needs to sell off some Armani sample products as he is going to miss his flight and wants to avoid paying taxes. It's really hilarious.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-07-2016 at 11:22 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #34
cjd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
LOL! Sounds just like the forum at Head-Fi these days. The fight about silver vs copper cables as stiff as a coat hanger is a daily occurance and I no longer bother reading there. If I give a bad opinion on a headphone I listened to at a store, people would bombard me with a dozen PMs trying to tell me I'm wrong because what they bought is the best!

The white van speaker is one end of the spectrum, while on the other end of the spectrum I think there is also too much snake oil being sold to the wealthy folks these days.

BTW the same white van speaker scam exists but in the form of an SUV with an Italian dude claiming he needs to sell off some Armani sample products as he is going to miss his flight and wants to avoid paying taxes. It's really hilarious.
I prefer mil-spec silver plated high purity copper that's PTFE insulated... it's awesome to work with, strips easily, bends easily but holds some shape, solders like a dream... I use almost nothing else for internal wiring any more. On surplus the price is good too. Oh yeah - the sound. Nothing to complain about there either.

C
Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 PM   #35
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I prefer mil-spec silver plated high purity copper that's PTFE insulated... it's awesome to work with, strips easily, bends easily but holds some shape, solders like a dream... I use almost nothing else for internal wiring any more. On surplus the price is good too. Oh yeah - the sound. Nothing to complain about there either.

C
Interesting. I purchased a set of Sony headphones last year that came with silver plated copper cables. The sound was quite fatiguing no matter what the format was (PCM, DSD64, Hi-Res flac, etc) or how I adjusted the source, felt a bit like listening to low bit rate mp3s. I ended up swapping the cables for the factory copper only offerings and it totally solved the issue for me.

Audio can get kind of subjective I guess.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #36
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
@MisterSheep is that you in the white van?

did @go_a_way1 put you up to this?
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (06-18-2016), Tectoniic (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 04:06 PM   #37
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
OK so they are doing a sales pitch, but that doesn't make it a scam.

People sell fairly large size home build type speakers out of a van. They embellish the sale with a story. The product is right there for you so touch, feel, etc.

A scam is when the no product is received or you receive one not as originally shown. When it's in front of your face you can examine the product, maybe even test it. If the buyer takes the guys word for it regarding the quality etc that's their choice.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
86kahl (06-18-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #38
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
i had a dude try to sell me discounted meat from his van when i was pumping gas once...chicken, ribs, steak, etc..even said it was gluten free haha

Last edited by FX86; 06-09-2016 at 11:56 AM.
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #39
itsAlex

Drives: 2016 4Runner / 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
OK so they are doing a sales pitch, but that doesn't make it a scam.

People sell fairly large size home build type speakers out of a van. They embellish the sale with a story. The product is right there for you so touch, feel, etc.

A scam is when the no product is received or you receive one not as originally shown. When it's in front of your face you can examine the product, maybe even test it. If the buyer takes the guys word for it regarding the quality etc that's their choice.
Every sales pitch these guys make begins with "my boss put in _____ extra pieces in my van and he didn't know, I need to get rid of them." What kind of intro is that? Besides, the guy got my attention by telling me he's selling a Bose system when in fact it isn't a Bose. If that's not a scam then I don't know what is.
Tcoat (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 AM   #40
illmatic_frs

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Woa this still happens?! And it happened in the 80's?! amazing. @OP I was approached in a parking same area near Heartland by two guys in a white van about 15 years ago in my 98 civic si. When I asked to prove they weren't a scam he showed me a large Ziploc full of weed lol and said he had nothing to lie about.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
illmatic_frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #41
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A scam would be; "hey come over here I have this ________ for cheap" and when your close they phone check you and take everything in your pockets.

These on the other hand are just stories of mobile entrepreneurs trying to make a living.
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #42
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Hopefully you guys arent also the type to buy 'meat' products from the door to door guys.

LOL Halloween decorations.

$200/$300 w/o insurance? I wouldn't go for it unless we did it through paypal lol This is one reason why I love the US. 1yr manufacturer guarantee and in other cases 30 day money back.