follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 PM   #15
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you want to do it yourself you can. Clutch job is super easy on this car.
Took me about 10 hours with a bad back and a beer in one had. Had my bro and one other buddy help me out on the actual removal of the tranny and install. Only cause of my bad back.

Zero air tools, just nice SUV jack stands and a harbor freight tranny jack made things go a lot smoother.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #16
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
If you want to do it yourself you can. Clutch job is super easy on this car.
Took me about 10 hours with a bad back and a beer in one had. Had my bro and one other buddy help me out on the actual removal of the tranny and install. Only cause of my bad back.

Zero air tools, just nice SUV jack stands and a harbor freight tranny jack made things go a lot smoother.

Agree it’s easy and 10 hours is on the very high side. Understandable with a bad back though. Took me about 4 hours but if I did it again I think I could cut that in half. There is a video on YouTube of someone dropping the tranny in 10mins.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:43 AM   #17
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddbutter View Post
That includes installation.
Which was also me sending the car on a flat bed cause the throwout bearing had shit itself, car arrived at the workshop at at 11am, car was ready by 4pm.
Chasers?

Throwing a Harrop on my car mid Sept so want to be prepared just in case I need one changed.

Agree re people posting from US. You can add and extra 50% on top of any US figure supplied..

Whats your opinion of the Exedy? Any opinions re Mantic Clutches?
Bodalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:30 AM   #18
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
Chasers?

Throwing a Harrop on my car mid Sept so want to be prepared just in case I need one changed.

Whats your opinion of the Exedy? Any opinions re Mantic Clutches?
yeah, Chasers, they smashed it out fairly quickly!

The Exedy is alright, took me ages to get use to it compared to stock.
It's a nice little upgrade from stock, but i don't think i would use the one i got for a car with more power.

Pretty sure mine was the TKY-8536HD, If i did it again, i'd probably go a more aggressive clutch, but i am a sucker for a pig of a car to drive :\

No real opinions on the Mantic, I nearly bought one years ago, but decided i didn't really need to spend the money at the time.
Made in Thomastown! So always good to support local and i guess if you had any issues, they are not far away.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #19
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Quote:
yeah, Chasers, they smashed it out fairly quickly!

The Exedy is alright, took me ages to get use to it compared to stock.
It's a nice little upgrade from stock, but i don't think i would use the one i got for a car with more power.

Made in Thomastown! So always good to support local and i guess if you had any issues, they are not far away.
Chassers will be doing it if it needs doing. Was it what Chassers’ recommended or what you decided on?

That local support is pretty important!

Harrop think the OEM will be fine. We’ll see I guess.

Thanks..

Last edited by Bodalenko; 09-10-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #20
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Quote:
Chassers will be doing it if it needs doing. Was it what Chassers’ recommended or what you decided on?

That local support is pretty imported!

Harrop think the OEM will be fine. We’ll see I guess.

Thanks..
They suggested the exeedy, offered me that or the stock, it was not much more than stock so thought i'd go with it.
I could have gotten away with not changing it, my throwout bearing had collapsed, thought i might as well change it since the box is out.

I have now been getting advertising for the Mantic clutches now i have looked at their site haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to fuddbutter For This Useful Post:
Bodalenko (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #21
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Well looks like I jinxed myself mentioning my clutch. Noticed a rattle from the drive train when in neutral that stops when the clutch is depressed. In my book that’s a thrust bearing on its way out. Of course it couldn’t have been there when I had the valve spring recall done. Would have made things a lot easier.. Selections for clutches seems pretty limited in Oz unless someone knows differently. The ACT seems to have a load of fans in the US but no one seems to stock them here.
I’ll call Mantic just to see what they think..
Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #22
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Quote:
Well looks like I jinxed myself mentioning my clutch. Noticed a rattle from the drive train when in neutral that stops when the clutch is depressed. In my book that’s a thrust bearing on its way out. .
Thats exactly what mine was doing too..
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #23
Bodalenko
Steve Bodalenko

Quote:
Thats exactly what mine was doing too..
Sometimes I just hate being right!

Have it booked in at Chasers for next Tuesday. Glenn’s looking in to whether to go for the one you had installed or the next one up. Told him you mentioned the next level up might have been a better option. He seems to think the clutch you had installed is up to dealing with the Harrop, which I’ve again had to postpone, this time because of this clutch.

Just wondering what the break in period is for them? I want to have the Harrop installed a week after the clutch is done and worried I might not have enough k’s on it to allow for pulls on the Harrop dyno.

UPDATE:

Cars booked in for the TKY-8536HDCB. $1300 installed. Dropping in today and picking up Tuesday.

Turned out to be Wednesday as I had the car serviced as well. First impressions of the TKY-8356HDCB? Very little travel before take up compared to the OEM. Gear changes are a LOT smoother and I say that as an owner who was lucky enough to have a well behaved box from new. Break in period is near on nil. Just drive as per normal and with common sense with no launches till a couple of tanks of fuel have been used. Not that I ever launch the car anyway.

What was strange is that according to my installer my car came with a pink HD Exedy clutch as OEM! Something he’s never seen before in any 86 he’s changed the clutch out of. Since I’m the original and only owner I know for a fact the clutch till the throwout bearing started getting noisy, has never been touched apart from when the recall was done and doubt Toyota decided to update it FOC. As it was the clutch and pressure plater were in excellent condition so will be going on the market very soon.

Last edited by Bodalenko; 09-19-2019 at 05:29 PM.