follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 AM   #29
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes, there is something you can do about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Evening all,

Just installed Greddy SP Elite Axleback 2 days ago and I'm a bit surprised. I was under the impression that the Greddy provided 'just a tick more grunt than stock', even when paired with a UEL.

...This is not the case however. In my opinion it is quite loud in the cabin. I'm running Gruppe-S UEL, stock FP, stock OP, Greddy SP Elite. During acceleration it is challenging to have a conversation. With that being said, I can cruise at very low volume, and there is little drone.

Had a buddy drive the car to show off today:

Revs

- Drive-by

I think the tone is great, but i'd like to lower the volume a tad. I'm under the impression that this won't be easy to do, as the Greddy seems to be nearly as 'quiet' as the q300 in popular opinion. Is there another way that I could lower the volume of the Greddy (perhaps by adding a resonator?). I'd like to retain the UEL header for the torque benefits.

Thoughts?
Your exhaust sounds great from outside the car, agreed? Well then, the change would have to be to the inside of the car. I just installed real 3 way component speakers, myself, in place of the lame stock rear speakers. I say this because I couldn't believe how loud my exhaust was without my side panels on, or seat back up. I had to check my exhaust to make sure something hadn't come loose. Enough about me.
Buy a sheet of memory foam, or a mattress-topper. Shred it into chunks. Remove the floor and side panels from the trunk. Stuff those chunks into the openings above the rear wheel wells till they won't take any more. Stuff chunks into any other openings between the trunk and cabin. Much quieter now isn't it? That fixes your exhaust noise problem. Your exhaust is fine, the noise is the problem, since the only thing between your ears and your exhaust tips is the fabric of the seat back, and the rubber seal of the trunk lid, insulation is the cure for it.
ajcarson11 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 02:49 AM   #30
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
either it is your header causing the noise, or you have exhaust leak.
I have Invidia Q300 on my car installed last year, it was just a bit louder than stock. So today i have tanabe overpipe and invidia front pipe installed and there is almost no difference of noise level. performance gain is barely
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:13 AM   #31
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
Your exhaust sounds great from outside the car, agreed? Well then, the change would have to be to the inside of the car. I just installed real 3 way component speakers, myself, in place of the lame stock rear speakers. I say this because I couldn't believe how loud my exhaust was without my side panels on, or seat back up. I had to check my exhaust to make sure something hadn't come loose. Enough about me.
Buy a sheet of memory foam, or a mattress-topper. Shred it into chunks. Remove the floor and side panels from the trunk. Stuff those chunks into the openings above the rear wheel wells till they won't take any more. Stuff chunks into any other openings between the trunk and cabin. Much quieter now isn't it? That fixes your exhaust noise problem. Your exhaust is fine, the noise is the problem, since the only thing between your ears and your exhaust tips is the fabric of the seat back, and the rubber seal of the trunk lid, insulation is the cure for it.
This is an interesting idea. It certainly is the inside that is the larger problem. With that being said, I've sound-deadened the rear quarter panels, trunk, back seats, and doors in full. Granted, that was with fatmat only (no MLV) so I will grab my decibel meter and do some testing with your theory!

Thanks!
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM   #32
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2th View Post
either it is your header causing the noise, or you have exhaust leak.
I have Invidia Q300 on my car installed last year, it was just a bit louder than stock. So today i have tanabe overpipe and invidia front pipe installed and there is almost no difference of noise level. performance gain is barely
It is absolutely the catless header that makes this setup so loud. No question. I don't think I have any exhaust leaks at time point!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #33
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Quote:
Evening all,

Just installed Greddy SP Elite Axleback 2 days ago and I'm a bit surprised. I was under the impression that the Greddy provided 'just a tick more grunt than stock', even when paired with a UEL.

...This is not the case however. In my opinion it is quite loud in the cabin. I'm running Gruppe-S UEL, stock FP, stock OP, Greddy SP Elite. During acceleration it is challenging to have a conversation. With that being said, I can cruise at very low volume, and there is little drone.

Had a buddy drive the car to show off today:

Revs

- Drive-by

I think the tone is great, but i'd like to lower the volume a tad. I'm under the impression that this won't be easy to do, as the Greddy seems to be nearly as 'quiet' as the q300 in popular opinion. Is there another way that I could lower the volume of the Greddy (perhaps by adding a resonator?). I'd like to retain the UEL header for the torque benefits.

Thoughts?
OMG this is exactly the sound I want and we have the same header. So looks like I need a Greddy exhaust.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #34
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
OMG this is exactly the sound I want and we have the same header. So looks like I need a Greddy exhaust.
Take a look at the TopSpeed Pro-1 (which is what i'm using here).. Should be a copy of the Greddy SP Elite, but if you read this thread it sounds like there is some question into which is louder.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
Yoda (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Yoda

Quote:
Take a look at the TopSpeed Pro-1 (which is what i'm using here).. Should be a copy of the Greddy SP Elite, but if you read this thread it sounds like there is some question into which is louder.
Thank will look into that. Just read the first page so far.

Update: Just ordered it.

Last edited by Yoda; 04-22-2016 at 10:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoda For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-22-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #36
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
who makes a really SHORT and very effective resonator / muffler I can put inline on my midpipe? The Vibrant one I like is just too long to fit by about 4-6 inches.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=46
Old 04-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #37
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
who makes a really SHORT and very effective resonator / muffler I can put inline on my midpipe? The Vibrant one I like is just too long to fit by about 4-6 inches.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=46

It's best to put it in the front pipe for the very fitment reason you are having(especially the stock front pipe so you have a cat and a resonator), Vibrant doesn't sell any shorter resonators than about 12 inches.

The shortest race mufflers they have however do fit you're size request:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1032_1257

However the inner diameter is .5 inch too big, unless you want to fabricate a cone on both ends
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #38
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Resonators not just reduce specific frequencies noise, they also do that depending on shape/size. I'm not sure it's worth to hunt for absolutely smallest .. will it do what you expect from it?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #39
lonborghini

Drives: '15 red FR-S SSC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
"...This is not the case however. In my opinion it is quite loud in the cabin. I'm running Gruppe-S UEL, stock FP, stock OP, Greddy SP Elite. During acceleration it is challenging to have a conversation."

A conversation, in an 86, during acceleration??? The idea never even crossed my mind. Single exhaust track pipe here.
lonborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lonborghini For This Useful Post:
ajcarson11 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #40
Yoda

Installed and love the sound! I see what u mean about it being a bit loud but it's manageable. Those bolts were rusted on there good couple of cuts but worth it. My only issues is that it's not perfectly aligned. The right exhaust needs to stick out maybe a 1/4". I will play with it in a few weeks and see.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #41
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Installed and love the sound! I see what u mean about it being a bit loud but it's manageable. Those bolts were rusted on there good couple of cuts but worth it. My only issues is that it's not perfectly aligned. The right exhaust needs to stick out maybe a 1/4". I will play with it in a few weeks and see.
I have the top speed pro 1 as well. I have learned to align mine by leaving the bolts loose at the flange where the rear pipe connects, shaking it, moving it around till it's aligned, then tightening the bolts. Also, lube all the hangers with soapy water, so they will flex out to their resting places.
Yoda (04-28-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #42
ajcarson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
It's best to put it in the front pipe for the very fitment reason you are having(especially the stock front pipe so you have a cat and a resonator), Vibrant doesn't sell any shorter resonators than about 12 inches.

The shortest race mufflers they have however do fit you're size request:
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1032_1257

However the inner diameter is .5 inch too big, unless you want to fabricate a cone on both ends
It is my understanding that there are TWO resonators in the stock setup. One in the front pipe, and one in the midpipe. If you add a resonator to the front pipe, you will have THREE resonators.

Just to clarify on that.