follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
Darknd666

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ABS Relocation

I want to relocate my ABS so i have more room for a bigger air filter. I have the JDL turbo kit. Cant do the cold air intake in the bumper because the oil cooler is there and the fanpack for it doesnt help the cause either. Not enough room for the CAI to fit. Cant do bumper filter because the turbo components are in the way. Ive relocated the washer bottle to a chase bays canister near the firewall passenger side. I need to know the AN fitting sizes on the ABS module so i can get flex hoses. Rather than lose ABS id rather keep it.

Input, options and ideas would be helpful.

On another note i dont have fog lights so a custom tube may be an option fitting to the furthest right position directly behind the fog light covers.
Darknd666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:21 PM   #2
Bolobao

Drives: 2022 GR86, 2013 BRZ (sold)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknd666 View Post
I want to relocate my ABS so i have more room for a bigger air filter. I have the JDL turbo kit. Cant do the cold air intake in the bumper because the oil cooler is there and the fanpack for it doesnt help the cause either. Not enough room for the CAI to fit. Cant do bumper filter because the turbo components are in the way. Ive relocated the washer bottle to a chase bays canister near the firewall passenger side. I need to know the AN fitting sizes on the ABS module so i can get flex hoses. Rather than lose ABS id rather keep it.

Input, options and ideas would be helpful.

On another note i dont have fog lights so a custom tube may be an option fitting to the furthest right position directly behind the fog light covers.
I was a TCS/VDC Calibration Engineer with Bosch (supplier for this platform) for 7 years, I don’t have all the answers but I’d be happy to share my personal thoughts.

TLDR: if you want to keep ABS/TCS/ESC and not compromise your braking system, don’t do it.

If your goal is to retain ABS, TCS, and ESC I would strongly advise against modifying the system with flex lines for a number of reasons:
•Just about all of the safety and performance functions in the ESC module rely on an accurate hydraulic model of the braking system to build brake pressure at each wheel. By changing from hard to flex lines, you compromise that model and the performance of all the functions that rely on it. During development, anytime there’s a change in the brake system (and therefore pressure response) the supplier takes great care to recheck and update models and check the effect on all functions
•There’s a reason these are hard lines and not flex lines. Even if you were willing to drive with ESC faulted and nonfunctional, I’d expect your brake pedal feel and performance to be very negatively impacted
•Whenever you open one of the lines to the ESC unit, a special bleeding procedure is needed to evacuate any air from the system. That block of medal the ESC ECU is connected to has a complicated network of passageways, accumulators, valves, etc.- lots of places for air to get trapped, requiring the bleeding procedure I mentioned. You’d have to take it to service center to get this done. Even then I’m not sure they would want to touch it.
•*edit* If you are relocating the ABS/ESC module to a different location in the engine bay, another thing to consider is whether or not the vehicle inertia sensors (ax, ay, yaw rate) are in the ESC unit or another ECU (for example, SRS). If it is stored in the ESC unit (not uncommon), the ax, ay, and yaw rate information is only valid if the module remains in the factory location - a recalibration of the sensors by a service department wouldn’t be enough to make it work again. The availability of this accurate information at no added cost is a big benefit to those who use data to improve their driving (a lot of people on this forum). By relocating the module, you could be losing access to all of this.

In conclusion, there’s a lot of reasons I strongly recommend against modifying the system. I’d take a step back and ask what is your end goal? If this is a track car, you are skilled at making new brake lines, and have the driving skills to handle the car without ABS/TCS/ESC then delete the unit altogether. If this is not the case, please consider keeping yourself and others safe by leaving the system alone and finding an alternative solution. I hope this helps, and that you find a solution that works best for you, good luck!

Last edited by Bolobao; 03-23-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Bolobao is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bolobao For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-24-2022), Captain Snooze (03-24-2022), churchx (03-23-2022), Compelica (03-24-2022), euniqe (10-19-2022), grumpysnapper (03-23-2022), Jdmjunkie (03-24-2022), Racecomp Engineering (03-23-2022), RedReplicant (03-23-2022), sato (10-25-2022), soundman98 (03-23-2022), Stonehorsw (03-24-2022), Tatsu333 (03-24-2022), Ultramaroon (03-24-2022), x808drifter (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:05 AM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
And "bigger air filter" seems to me by two orders less important then reliable brakes. Be it track-only toy or also car that is daily driven (where keeping all nannies working is extra beneficial due more uncontrollable situations/variables and lesser driver concentration/attention levels). Bolobao wrote great response. But you also did smart thing and first asked before blindly modding.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Bolobao (03-30-2022), Jdmjunkie (03-24-2022), Tatsu333 (03-24-2022), x808drifter (03-24-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:07 PM   #4
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Keep a small filter, or delete the ABS. If you are keen on keeping it then dont touch it and live with it. On heavily modified, track only cars (heavy aero, sticky tires and usually very stiffly sprung), ABS has been more of a pain than help. But on any street+track machine or any car that sees any street use at all its probably not necessary to touch/modify it.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
Darknd666

Drives: 2017 86
Thanks i will find another way, probably through structural modification and custom intake tubes. Damn turbo parts are in the way of everything.
Darknd666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #6
Ace23_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknd666 View Post
Thanks i will find another way, probably through structural modification and custom intake tubes. Damn turbo parts are in the way of everything.
Are you still looking for a way to relocate your ABS unit?

I am in the process myself and might end up tucking the unit up in my passenger-side fender well.

Either way, I am in search of someone who has done it too, but worst case, I will just do it myself.

My plan is to wire a new system with custom brake lines and all new sensors.

I'll keep you posted when I get to that point in my build.

V/R,
Ace
Old 01-05-2023, 12:07 PM   #7
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,206 Times in 513 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23_BRZ View Post
Are you still looking for a way to relocate your ABS unit?

I am in the process myself and might end up tucking the unit up in my passenger-side fender well.

Either way, I am in search of someone who has done it too, but worst case, I will just do it myself.

My plan is to wire a new system with custom brake lines and all new sensors.

I'll keep you posted when I get to that point in my build.

V/R,
Ace
The yaw sensor is internal to the ABS unit, I guess let us know how it behaves if you decide to move it...
I travel in the circles of MK60/MK60E5 ABS swaps in other cars and one of the common symptoms of the yaw sensor being installed backwards for example is what is generally referred to as 'ice mode'.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
Ace23_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
The yaw sensor is internal to the ABS unit, I guess let us know how it behaves if you decide to move it...
I travel in the circles of MK60/MK60E5 ABS swaps in other cars and one of the common symptoms of the yaw sensor being installed backwards for example is what is generally referred to as 'ice mode'.
Yeah, for sure, will do.