follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #1
Dububster

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nameless Axle back with header, Drone?

So right now, I am running a gruppe catless UEL header with an MXP Comp RS Catback... that's it. Since winter has started and it's been on the colder side, I've been driving with my windows up, and the drone is just gotten to be too much for me to handle. I know the MXP is known for droning, so I've been looking into a replacement. I've had my eyes on the Nameless 2.5 axleback with 5 inch mufflers for a bit now and have come across many posts talking about drone but really can't come to one consensus. So does can anyone help me out here, does this axleback drone, if so how much compared to the MXP if you know? Any other good recommendations with very minimal drone around this price point?

Last edited by Dububster; 12-03-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Dububster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
Suzuyans
Something something

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Vortech), 1993 R32 GT-R
Well, the amount of drone you can handle is subjective to be honest.

To me personally it's a 2/5 in terms of drone with 1/5 being little drone and 5/5 being headache inducing. It's there but not bad.

I have had that exact same setup (swapped for the Greddy Revolution RS because I like the old school single exit look) and let me tell you know it is much better than the Greddy Revolution RS and Borla Touring Axleback I had...and currently have.

Both of those exhausts gave me headaches on extremely long drives.

The Nameless Axleback with 5 inch mufflers pales in comparison to what those two deliver.

Although the Blitz Nur-Spec VS styleD was my favorite and to be honest I miss it dearly and wish I never sold it. It was a rare exhaust. Depending on your price budget, I recommend that catback for you.

I sadly do not have an interior sound clip but take my word for it that it's the least droniest of the exhausts I've had.

I would rate the Blitz exhaust drone level as a 1/5.

You may also want to look at the Perrin Catback. I haven't been in a BRZ/86 for that long in one but being the passenger in one, it's not that bad...and it's not that hard to find unlike the Blitz VS styleD.

EDIT: Just saw your price budget. I recommend saving up a little more. For 200 more you can get the CSG Spec Touring Exhaust which is very reasonable and I've also been in a car with that exhaust with Gruppe-S. 1/5 drone level from me.

There's also the Q300 which I have also had but, not with headers unfortunately. A fellow 86club member for the group I'm in says it's very reasonable though with UEL. Sadly, it's heavier than stock but not by much - and it won't matter much at all unless you're super ultra competitive racing.

Last edited by Suzuyans; 12-03-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Suzuyans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzuyans For This Useful Post:
Dububster (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 03:23 AM   #3
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dububster View Post
So right now, I am running a gruppe catless UEL header with an MXP Comp RS Catback... that's it. Since winter has started and it's been on the colder side, I've been driving with my windows up, and the drone is just gotten to be too much for me to handle. I know the MXP is known for droning, so I've been looking into a replacement. I've had my eyes on the Nameless 2.5 axleback with 5 inch mufflers for a bit now and have come across many posts talking about drone but really can't come to one consensus. So does can anyone help me out here, does this axleback drone, if so how much compared to the MXP if you know? Any other good recommendations with very minimal drone around this price point?
You'll get "some drone".

I wouldn't say it's deafening or irritating, but I definitely needed a couple hundred miles of driving to get used to it.

(I had the JDL UEL, though)

Even with stock headers, the nameless do have some drone but only in one or two situations, and it's not bad at all, just different.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dububster (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 03:58 AM   #4
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuyans View Post
Well, the amount of drone you can handle is subjective to be honest.

To me personally it's a 2/5 in terms of drone with 1/5 being little drone and 5/5 being headache inducing. It's there but not bad.

I have had that exact same setup (swapped for the Greddy Revolution RS because I like the old school single exit look) and let me tell you know it is much better than the Greddy Revolution RS and Borla Touring Axleback I had...and currently have.

Both of those exhausts gave me headaches on extremely long drives.

The Nameless Axleback with 5 inch mufflers pales in comparison to what those two deliver.

Although the Blitz Nur-Spec VS styleD was my favorite and to be honest I miss it dearly and wish I never sold it. It was a rare exhaust. Depending on your price budget, I recommend that catback for you.

I sadly do not have an interior sound clip but take my word for it that it's the least droniest of the exhausts I've had.

I would rate the Blitz exhaust drone level as a 1/5.

You may also want to look at the Perrin Catback. I haven't been in a BRZ/86 for that long in one but being the passenger in one, it's not that bad...and it's not that hard to find unlike the Blitz VS styleD.

EDIT: Just saw your price budget. I recommend saving up a little more. For 200 more you can get the CSG Spec Touring Exhaust which is very reasonable and I've also been in a car with that exhaust with Gruppe-S. 1/5 drone level from me.

There's also the Q300 which I have also had but, not with headers unfortunately. A fellow 86club member for the group I'm in says it's very reasonable though with UEL. Sadly, it's heavier than stock but not by much - and it won't matter much at all unless you're super ultra competitive racing.
You have no idea how much I really appreciate all the information. You helped me out way more than what I was expecting anyone to lol. I think I'm gonna look into the csg cat back a little bit more. Thanks again my man, all the best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dububster For This Useful Post:
Suzuyans (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 03:59 AM   #5
Dububster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
You'll get "some drone".

I wouldn't say it's deafening or irritating, but I definitely needed a couple hundred miles of driving to get used to it.

(I had the JDL UEL, though)

Even with stock headers, the nameless do have some drone but only in one or two situations, and it's not bad at all, just different.
I'll definitely take that into account. Thank you so much!
Old 12-03-2020, 05:29 AM   #6
e30cabrio

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the Nameless prototype header, 2.5"over front pipe with heimholtz & axleback. No drone, just loud (the car is loud stock) I put the OEM axleback back on it was that loud but I'm old.

The car drives great though.
e30cabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e30cabrio For This Useful Post:
Dububster (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #7
Dububster

Can anyone compare it to the MXP Comp Rs with headers?
Old 12-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
It's gonna be a loud combo. My tomie UEL+ stock FP and 5inch mufflers nameless axleback was loud and it got tiresome quickly. Kinda want to hear axleback with my new JDL 4-2-1

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Dububster (12-08-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have a 2.5" piping, 5" muffler, nameless axle back with a stock header. It does have a slight "drone" but it is just fine around town.

We WERE going to take a long road trip last summer and I was going to switch back to the OEM muffler for the trip, just to make it a bit quieter in the cabin.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dububster (12-08-2020)