follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2022, 11:41 PM   #29
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking like the 2nd Gen's are having this issue too now Mine does, just shy of 3000km.........
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #30
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Got my recall done this morning, filled up the car to full and fulel gauge only shows around half.

Called the dealer, they said try to disconnect the battery to reset the gauge and come over if that doesn't help. Disconnected and reconnected, gauge still shows low but appears to be slightly higher then before. Fingers crossed it will resolve itself over time/with the next fill up (I can gauge the amount of fuel by miles driven since the last fill up).
Updating - my fuel gauge acted exactly like @spcmafia reported - started out at half, after about 50 miles jumped up to 3/4, then continued to go down.
I filled up just now, with 300 miles driven and the gauge showed about 3/8 left. Pump stopped after 11.5 gallons. Started the car and the gauge shows full. I'll report back if it continues to misbehave or if it has corrected itself.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #31
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Updating - my fuel gauge acted exactly like @spcmafia reported - started out at half, after about 50 miles jumped up to 3/4, then continued to go down.
I filled up just now, with 300 miles driven and the gauge showed about 3/8 left. Pump stopped after 11.5 gallons. Started the car and the gauge shows full. I'll report back if it continues to misbehave or if it has corrected itself.

Sounds like it probably fixed itself. Which is good, just carry a jug in case you need to make a walking trip to the gas station if anything were to happen like it did to me.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #32
Ohio Enthusiast

Another update, hopefully the last one. Since the recall was done in late February the fuel gauge was acting wonky. Sometimes it would be almost fine, but eventually it would show that it isn't. Not getting up to full on a fill-up, lowering in a slower or faster rate, going suddenly up, etc.

I took it back to the dealer. They claimed that there are two fuel pumps (with a secondary one in the passenger side) and two fuel floats due to the saddle shape of the fuel tank. First time I heard this, but I guess it makes sense. They said that they verified that the floats are free to move and then did a hard reset on the fuel monitoring system. This also reset the clock and the average MPG, but didn't change the throttle response (like would happen with a battery disconnect).

After I took the car the fuel gauge looked better (with almost 300 miles since the last fill-up, it showed over a quarter left, where it should be almost empty). After a fill-up the gauge went to full (or almost full - I don't remember if fully filled up sets the needle to slightly above the top mark or at it).

Fingers crossed this will be the end of this, but the dealer tech did say that if this doesn't help they will replace the pump assembly again.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:24 PM   #33
spcmafia

Quote:
Another update, hopefully the last one. Since the recall was done in late February the fuel gauge was acting wonky. Sometimes it would be almost fine, but eventually it would show that it isn't. Not getting up to full on a fill-up, lowering in a slower or faster rate, going suddenly up, etc.

I took it back to the dealer. They claimed that there are two fuel pumps (with a secondary one in the passenger side) and two fuel floats due to the saddle shape of the fuel tank. First time I heard this, but I guess it makes sense. They said that they verified that the floats are free to move and then did a hard reset on the fuel monitoring system. This also reset the clock and the average MPG, but didn't change the throttle response (like would happen with a battery disconnect).

After I took the car the fuel gauge looked better (with almost 300 miles since the last fill-up, it showed over a quarter left, where it should be almost empty). After a fill-up the gauge went to full (or almost full - I don't remember if fully filled up sets the needle to slightly above the top mark or at it).

Fingers crossed this will be the end of this, but the dealer tech did say that if this doesn't help they will replace the pump assembly again.
Hly sht man, You've been going at this or longer than I did. They should've just replaced the whole assembly to begin with. I just hope they don't fill the tank up with 89 like they did with mine.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #34
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Hly sht man, You've been going at this or longer than I did. They should've just replaced the whole assembly to begin with. I just hope they don't fill the tank up with 89 like they did with mine.
Well, it was a long time on the calendar, but I only visited the dealer twice - once for the original recall work in February and once today. I always keep track of miles since fill up so the wonky fuel gauge wasn't really bothersome.

The dealer never volunteered to fill the tank, so it's all 93 by me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 02:15 PM   #35
spcmafia

Quote:
Well, it was a long time on the calendar, but I only visited the dealer twice - once for the original recall work in February and once today. I always keep track of miles since fill up so the wonky fuel gauge wasn't really bothersome.

The dealer never volunteered to fill the tank, so it's all 93 by me.

That would make sense. Part of the reason why I had to drive with the gauge being defective for so long was because of service availability.

The gas issue in my case was because they wanted to make sure that the gauge worked perfectly after a full tank. I thanked them for doing that, because it was nice of them, but once I started driving I could tell something was off, so I asked and that's when I found out they used regular gas.
Ohio Enthusiast (05-04-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:20 PM   #36
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
That would make sense. Part of the reason why I had to drive with the gauge being defective for so long was because of service availability.

The gas issue in my case was because they wanted to make sure that the gauge worked perfectly after a full tank. I thanked them for doing that, because it was nice of them, but once I started driving I could tell something was off, so I asked and that's when I found out they used regular gas.
Quote:

You guys had some serious perseverance, at that point I'd be emailing and calling SoA or the regional offices. I'm super surprised techs still don't know where everything in the car is or don't pre-read the service manuals to understand things.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #37
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
You guys had some serious perseverance, at that point I'd be emailing and calling SoA or the regional offices.
Can't speak for @spcmafia, but I only visited the dealer twice and both times were fairly hassle free. I doubt SoA would have sent a Master Tech to my house with a Techstream to reset the fuel gauge. The only slight annoyance is that I live smack-dab in the middle between the two local Subaru dealers so it's a 20 minute drive to either of them.
If anything, the second visit was actually for the best as I took a 2022 BRZ for a spin while there, something which I probably wouldn't have gotten around to doing otherwise.