follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #15
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Hahaha: this.

Don't sell your BRZ. It will love it over here where you can speed without having your car impounded and auctioned off by the state.

Or seized on the suspicion on being modified. Canada now takes a person's car even if they only suspect a modification without any proof needed. Exactly what a communist/nazi country would do.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #16
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzetto View Post
Or seized on the suspicion on being modified. Canada now takes a person's car even if they only suspect a modification without any proof needed. Exactly what a communist/nazi country would do.
Ontario ain't Canada if you're talking about street racing law..but this is news to me!

We had a provincial representative for the NB MVI (motor vehicle inspection) in our class, people asked about things such as modifications, and it is usually no problem (I've never heard of anyone of my friends getting into problems with modifications). He pretty much made a point that if everything looked safe to the mechanic's eye, it was all that was needed to be OK. Unless you go parade your fart cannon in front of the cops / and or break traffic laws, there isn't any problems. The province is well aware of the aftermarket business and the shitty economy and can't ticket people for crap all the time, we're definitly not nazis.

Last edited by Rayme; 01-04-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #17
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
Ontario ain't Canada if you're talking about street racing law..but this is news to me!

We had a provincial representative for the NB MVI (motor vehicle inspection) in our class, people asked about things such as modifications, and it is usually no problem (I've never heard of anyone of my friends getting into problems with modifications). He pretty much made a point that if everything looked safe to the mechanic's eye, it was all that was needed to be OK. Unless you go parade your fart cannon in front of the cops / and or break traffic laws, there isn't any problems. The province is well aware of the aftermarket business and the shitty economy and can't ticket people for crap all the time, we're definitly not nazis.
Ontario definitely had police state like laws when it came to cars, glad to know the rest of Canada doesn't consider Ontario part of it but they were taking peoples' cars away on suspicion alone and crushing them.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
SpiralGray

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ontario definitely had police state like laws when it came to cars, glad to know the rest of Canada doesn't consider Ontario part of it but they were taking peoples' cars away on suspicion alone and crushing them.
Being an ex-pat Canadian I'd love to see some articles related to this because this is the first I've heard of it.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #19
Kevstra

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Definitely keep the Canadian car! Like another poster said, no one will give a shit the odometer is in kms. Speedo can be switched to Mi.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralGray View Post
Being an ex-pat Canadian I'd love to see some articles related to this because this is the first I've heard of it.
It's definitely BS. Can't speak for all the provinces, but I know BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan have a hell of a lot of modified cars on the road, and nobody is getting their car stolen and crushed. There would be absolute mutiny if anything like that ever happens.

Wherever that story has come from (assuming there is any truth to it), there's probably a hell of a lot of back-story. I doubt that "A police officer thought a car was modified so he had it impounded and crushed without due process."

And cut the shit about Canada being a nazi or nanny state - we have health care. That's about the sum of the differences between Canada and the US.
SpiralGray (01-07-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993Fan View Post
But that won't work for mpg...
What?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
dodj

Drives: Rallye Blue BRZ
Quote:
No truth to that whatsoever. In fact, with less stringent pollution laws up here, you can probably do more extensive mods without government interference. I live in Ontario, Canada.
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dodj For This Useful Post:
SpiralGray (01-07-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #22
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralGray View Post
When I moved to the US from Calgary we brought my 1989 Supra Turbo and my wife's 1994 Camry (both Canadian model vehicles with speedo and odo in km, just to be clear).

I had no problem selling the Supra a couple of years later. When I advertised it I listed the converted mileage (i.e. I did the conversion from km to mi and listed the mi). When someone called about the car I told them it was a Canadian vehicle with the odo in km but in the ad I'd converted it.

We sold my wife's Camry just a couple of years ago and didn't have any problem there either. I followed the same thing I did with the Supra. The buyer didn't seem to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevstra View Post
Definitely keep the Canadian car! Like another poster said, no one will give a shit the odometer is in kms. Speedo can be switched to Mi.
i'm sure i can sell a canadian car in US, but would it affect the value of the car?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #23
Kevstra

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
i'm sure i can sell a canadian car in US, but would it affect the value of the car?
I very much doubt it. Americans to comment.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevstra View Post
I very much doubt it. Americans to comment.
Yes it does because cars cost more new in Canada. Then there's the fluctuating exchange rate which is now unfavourable to Canadians trying to sell into the US.

There's a thriving business transporting cars and especially pick ups across the 49 th but only when monetary conditions are in favour of higher prices in Canada for domestically produced vehicles.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #25
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You might be surprised at how many modifications made to cars in Canada are actually illegal modifications.

Window tinting, headlights, tail light colours, bumper height (that's a biggie if you drop your car) disabling ABS and so on can all theoretically result in seizure of your vehicle. Then there's the little issue of invalidating your insurance. You should check with your insurer if you make any modifications that might affect the rating of your car.

Just because you weren't ticketed or your car wasn't impounded doesn't mean it was legal for you to modify your car.

Impounding and destruction of vehicles as fixed penalties for certain offences are probably illegal laws in Canada. Fortunately only the idiots in BC and Ontario have tried to impose these irrational laws.

It'll get worse as the population ages. Most drivers are not competent to drive in North America. Driving scares most people at some point during their driving. Talk to any North American who has driven on vacation in Europe and chances are they will have some terrifying story to relate about how dangerous Europe is to drive in. It is if you can't drive.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
SpiralGray

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
I got exactly what I was asking for both the Supra and the Camry. My asking price for both vehicles was based on a combination of KBB and what similar cars were being advertised for locally.

I should mention though that you should forget about trying to trade it in. We found that most dealers don't want to deal with an out-of-country vehicle. Go into it knowing that you'll need to sell it yourself when/if you decide to get rid of it.
chenshuo (01-07-2014)