follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
soilent

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone tried the Powerbass OE direct replacement speakers?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iVLVPR...c&awug=9025150

Was searching for some stereo upgrade components and ran across these. Has anyone tried them and can confirm they fit? Would be really nice to have a direct fit replacement for the stock stereo. These aren't listed as fitting the 86/BRZ, but they look like they would and there is one review saying they worked in a '13 FRS. Let me know! Thanks.
soilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:56 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
the woofers look like they'd mount up, and the tweeter wiring connection looks correct.
i can't say if the tweeter mounting is correct though.

the built-in high pass crossover on the woofers means that they're incompatible with the bass-only setup of the factory amp-- the amp would need to be bypassed in order for them to work properly.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:41 AM   #3
soilent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the woofers look like they'd mount up, and the tweeter wiring connection looks correct.
i can't say if the tweeter mounting is correct though.

the built-in high pass crossover on the woofers means that they're incompatible with the bass-only setup of the factory amp-- the amp would need to be bypassed in order for them to work properly.
I have an amp and DSP to power them so that won't be an issue. I guess I'll just have to buy them and see if they're a direct fit. If not, I can always return them I suppose.
The Following User Says Thank You to soilent For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
soundman98

The tweeters look really easy to alter
Old 12-16-2021, 12:32 AM   #5
soilent

Quote:
The tweeters look really easy to alter
What setup are you running as far as your front stage goes? I'm realizing that a purely plug and play option may not work since the dash speakers are powered by the HU.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent View Post
What setup are you running as far as your front stage goes? I'm realizing that a purely plug and play option may not work since the dash speakers are powered by the HU.
these should allow another tweeter to be plugged in

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RMZ4C...lig_dp_it&th=1

but you need to roll your own crossover, or buy a tweeter with a built-in crossover.

personally, i'm currently running a full-active setup off an alpine v9 with peerless xt25sc90 ring radiators serving tweeter duty. previously, i've run dayton 3.5" point source, as well as dayton audio AMT, and hivi q1r at different times of restlessness.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #7
soilent

Quote:
these should allow another tweeter to be plugged in

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RMZ4C...lig_dp_it&th=1

but you need to roll your own crossover, or buy a tweeter with a built-in crossover.

personally, i'm currently running a full-active setup off an alpine v9 with peerless xt25sc90 ring radiators serving tweeter duty. previously, i've run dayton 3.5" point source, as well as dayton audio AMT, and hivi q1r at different times of restlessness.
Yeah, I figure if I'm going to run speaker wire anyway I might as well get something a little bit better. Not sure how good Powerbass is, just liked it for the plug n play ability. I still have some adapters from my last car, just need to figure out what I want to use. Last time I actually just ended up running the stock doors and some Image Dynamics tweeters all crossed over with my Dayton DSP. The tweets were part of a component set I ended up selling though. Have any recommendations on what I should go with? I've got 145w per channel to play with. Just want to get some speakers that will handle that power better and obviously be a sound upgrade as well. Doesn't have to be super high end.

I do have some BC25s lying around though. What do you think of those? The XT is probably a better off axis performer though huh?

Last edited by soilent; 12-16-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #8
soundman98

not really. i just tinker

i tend to find most car audio tweeters and hard domes too harsh, so i play more with custom audio stuff more in search of a more natural tone.

i tend to find myself gravitating towards dayton and peerless gear, not for any particular reason, other than the spec sheets seem to more lend themselves towards what i'm looking for in either tone, or just a different approach.

i recently bought a set of aiyima tweeters that copy the peerless design, but haven't had a chance to mount them up to try yet.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...9ddd6b7f6TURTa
Old 04-08-2022, 03:16 AM   #9
EmperorJJ1

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilent View Post
Yeah, I figure if I'm going to run speaker wire anyway I might as well get something a little bit better. Not sure how good Powerbass is, just liked it for the plug n play ability. I still have some adapters from my last car, just need to figure out what I want to use. Last time I actually just ended up running the stock doors and some Image Dynamics tweeters all crossed over with my Dayton DSP. The tweets were part of a component set I ended up selling though. Have any recommendations on what I should go with? I've got 145w per channel to play with. Just want to get some speakers that will handle that power better and obviously be a sound upgrade as well. Doesn't have to be super high end.

I do have some BC25s lying around though. What do you think of those? The XT is probably a better off axis performer though huh?
i used to work for a dealer that sold powerbass a decade and a half ago. at that time they were pretty entry level. if nothing changed id expect the woofers to perform ok but the tweeters to be pretty bad. probably not really much of an upgrade IMO
EmperorJJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EmperorJJ1 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-08-2022)