follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-08-2021, 05:42 PM   #5741
jkamelo
[jay-kuh-meh-low]

Drives: 2016 FRS RS2.0 #293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Why not just get it done remote like the fast majority of the owners that are boosted?
[QUOTE=PulsarBeeerz;3471828]Just let Zach at CSG handle your tune. He's great to deal with and has done hundreds of JRSC FA20. He tuned my SC setup as well a bunch of others here. 100% would recommend.[/]

Yeah, I'll just do this. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Why not just stay CARB legal? That's one of the major appeals to a supercharger.
I don't need to be since I'm not in Cali. Then again, I don't like the uncatted smell...
Old 10-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #5742
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamelo View Post
I don't need to be since I'm not in Cali. Then again, I don't like the uncatted smell...

They do stink

There's no point in paying the extra money for a CARB legal supercharger when you can get the same JR kit with the "tune it yourself" option and save 1k

https://jacksonracing.com/product/fr...harger-system/
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #5743
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
As I plan on getting this kit, I want to get some information as far as what mods are compatible-ish.

First off, going off from the CSG website, which JRSC kit is the one I'm supposed to get? I drive a 2018 Manual BRZ. I see a C30 and a C38, then there CARB tunes, tune it yourself, and factory tuned.

Second, I have a full exhaust with JDL UEL Catted headers, and I quote "Built for Turbo and Boost applications with GESI High Performance EPA Compliant Cat" rated at 500HP with the new GESI Cat. Will this compatible with the JRSC?
Third, Is it possible to tune with OFT? I would still be okay with getting ECUTek and working with CSG.

Aside from an oil cooler, maybe flywheel depending on how pedal happy I get, what other supporting mods are recommended? Other than gauge pods and what not.

I have read here and there that belts tend to snap, any recommendations on that?
How rough is this on a stock suspension, adding more power, as far I can understand, can have effects on the behavior of the vehicle, I am planning on upgrading my suspension too, probably before thinking about pulling the trigger on a supercharger.

I normally pump 93 fuel on the vehicle, I'm assuming is probably best to keep it that way, or is there a benefit to use 91? 85 is out of the question as Connecticut is very scarce, and 85 quality is very questionable. Thanks!
alphasaur (11-18-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 11:40 PM   #5744
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
As I plan on getting this kit, I want to get some information as far as what mods are compatible-ish.

First off, going off from the CSG website, which JRSC kit is the one I'm supposed to get? I drive a 2018 Manual BRZ. I see a C30 and a C38, then there CARB tunes, tune it yourself, and factory tuned.

Second, I have a full exhaust with JDL UEL Catted headers, and I quote "Built for Turbo and Boost applications with GESI High Performance EPA Compliant Cat" rated at 500HP with the new GESI Cat. Will this compatible with the JRSC?
Third, Is it possible to tune with OFT? I would still be okay with getting ECUTek and working with CSG.

Aside from an oil cooler, maybe flywheel depending on how pedal happy I get, what other supporting mods are recommended? Other than gauge pods and what not.

I have read here and there that belts tend to snap, any recommendations on that?
How rough is this on a stock suspension, adding more power, as far I can understand, can have effects on the behavior of the vehicle, I am planning on upgrading my suspension too, probably before thinking about pulling the trigger on a supercharger.

I normally pump 93 fuel on the vehicle, I'm assuming is probably best to keep it that way, or is there a benefit to use 91? 85 is out of the question as Connecticut is very scarce, and 85 quality is very questionable. Thanks!
You need a TIY kit. C30 or C38 is up to you.

You need Ecutek to tune.

The header is compatible with the JRSC, as long as you get the right tune.

You will also need a MAP sensor.

93 only please.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #5745
spcmafia

Quote:
You need a TIY kit. C30 or C38 is up to you.

You need Ecutek to tune.

The header is compatible with the JRSC, as long as you get the right tune.

You will also need a MAP sensor.

93 only please.

Thank you!. What is the difference between C30/C38?
Old 11-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #5746
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thank you!. What is the difference between C30/C38?
The size of the supercharger. Get the one matched to your needs. Everyone likes the *idea* of having the extra overhead of the C38, but few ever actually use it.
Old 11-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #5747
spcmafia

Quote:
The size of the supercharger. Get the one matched to your needs. Everyone likes the *idea* of having the extra overhead of the C38, but few ever actually use it.

You're definitely right. I would just stick with the C30 in that case. I have no intentions of making a lot of power.
CSG Mike (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #5748
CSG Mike

Quote:
You're definitely right. I would just stick with the C30 in that case. I have no intentions of making a lot of power.
C30 is the way to go for most, and is my personal choice
Old 11-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #5749
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is this the end of my baby boxer :(

So I finally decided to give my 100k old boxer the JRSC +CSG tune treatment. I finally got around to installing it on Halloween, but couldn't get around to driving until Monday this week. I just had the first iteration of the map. Did a pull in third gear from 2.8k to around 6, and 'explored' around the 3.5k - 6k rpm range in 4th and 5th gear as and when the opportunity presented itself on the drive. Clearly, I was rather eager in my exploration and soon after the boxer started complaining with a rattling noise.

Man, the car had never felt this good before and then the next second, the sound of :brokenheart. After that I went straight home.

Here is the video of it sitting in the driveway and reving up to 5k.

So I have stopped driving it now. Plan is to drain the oil and get the possible glittery bits analyzed. I'm hoping against hope its just rod and the crank.

Current spec:

Stock engine/internals.

JRSC C30 with engine oil cooler. Running pump gas only.

CSG tune.

Xcedy stage 1 clutch.

Stock everything else.

My goal was to put the least amount of stress possible and after having spoking to many wise people I thought this would work. Yet this happened..which is why this hurts so much...
Anyone here knows a reputable engine builder in Charlotte, NC area ? And if there is forged internals kit for FA20 please let me know. Trying to keep the cost to a maximum of 3k. So yeah IAG is out of the question at this price point.

I knew this day would come....I'm just heart broken it happened on my second drive. And yes I know I shouldn't have driven that hard,may be... But here I am...asking for help.. Thanks and Cheers!! - Arun
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dynarun55 For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (11-19-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (11-25-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #5750
dynarun55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
So I finally decided to give my 100k old boxer the JRSC +CSG tune treatment. I finally got around to installing it on Halloween, but couldn't get around to driving until Monday this week. I just had the first iteration of the map. Did a pull in third gear from 2.8k to around 6, and 'explored' around the 3.5k - 6k rpm range in 4th and 5th gear as and when the opportunity presented itself on the drive. Clearly, I was rather eager in my exploration and soon after the boxer started complaining with a rattling noise.

Man, the car had never felt this good before and then the next second, the sound of :brokenheart. After that I went straight home.

Here is the video of it sitting in the driveway and reving up to 5k.

So I have stopped driving it now. Plan is to drain the oil and get the possible glittery bits analyzed. I'm hoping against hope its just rod and the crank.

Current spec:

Stock engine/internals.

JRSC C30 with engine oil cooler. Running pump gas only.

CSG tune.

Xcedy stage 1 clutch.

Stock everything else.

My goal was to put the least amount of stress possible and after having spoking to many wise people I thought this would work. Yet this happened..which is why this hurts so much...
Anyone here knows a reputable engine builder in Charlotte, NC area ? And if there is forged internals kit for FA20 please let me know. Trying to keep the cost to a maximum of 3k. So yeah IAG is out of the question at this price point.

I knew this day would come....I'm just heart broken it happened on my second drive. And yes I know I shouldn't have driven that hard,may be... But here I am...asking for help.. Thanks and Cheers!! - Arun
Just want to say despite my experience, its been great to work with CSG. Rotrex had a massive shipping mishap in the summer. The customer service were prompt reply to any and all my concerns. The tuning was going great.. Until I had mechanical issues with the engine. So I would still recommend them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2021, 12:01 AM   #5751
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Ah man, that fucking blows. Hope you get it sorted! good luck! ~3k is going to be tough as that's near what used engines are going for.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #5752
drew_kar

Drives: WRB Brz / SR S14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

In Charlotte, the best Subaru shops are Exclusive Auto Garage and After Hours Racing. I know the individuals who work at/own these shops and they do some fine work.

However, speaking from experience with a current engine build (not FA, but EJ in my STi), for 3k you're far better off getting a used long block from a wrecker. All the parts required to rebuild this engine to OEM spec would be closer to 6k including labor. Anything that runs off oil pressure or has oil that flows through it in the engine will have to be replaced (oil pump, AVCS hardware etc) and definitely adds up at the end.

Last edited by drew_kar; 11-22-2021 at 12:47 PM.
drew_kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:05 PM   #5753
dynarun55

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_kar View Post
In Charlotte, the best Subaru shops are Exclusive Auto Garage and After Hours Racing. I know the individuals who work at/own these shops and they do some fine work.

However, speaking from experience with a current engine build (not FA, but EJ in my STi), for 3k you're far better off getting a used long block from a wrecker. All the parts required to rebuild this engine to OEM spec would be closer to 6k including labor. Anything that runs off oil pressure or has oil that flows through it in the engine will have to be replaced (oil pump, AVCS hardware etc) and definitely adds up at the end.
Thanks for all the info man. If I go the route of rebuilding this engine to OEM spec, and put the kit the back on...Do I risk blowing the engine out again ? I really thought I was going for the safest route running a JRSC with pump gas. Can someone from CSG comment on this ? I'm kinda dead in the water here , and I bet others would benefit from this info as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dynarun55 For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (11-22-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 01:17 AM   #5754
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Just want to say despite my experience, its been great to work with CSG. Rotrex had a massive shipping mishap in the summer. The customer service were prompt reply to any and all my concerns. The tuning was going great.. Until I had mechanical issues with the engine. So I would still recommend them.
First iteration for a Remote E-Tune is usually just you sitting in warm idle and logging or at most a 3K cruise light throttle. Doing a pull on first iteration is pretty rare. Can you clarify what you meant by "exploration"? usually you should stay at closed loop which is about 20-30% throttle until tuner says everything checked out and is safe.

By the sound of your engine it sounds more like spun bearing/rod knock which is more of an oil starvation issue that all FA20s have an issue with. Did you have an oil pressure gauge?
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote