follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2022, 11:54 AM   #43
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
My sister and her first husband went through cars faster than I go through underwear. They caused themselves a lot of grief in their 30 somethings stacking debt with a new car every 6 months.
Getting a new car is a complete hassle. I can't even imagine wanting to do this even if it were free.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (09-19-2022), Subito (09-16-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #44
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
Getting a new car is a complete hassle. I can't even imagine wanting to do this even if it were free.
Buying my FRS took about an hour. Test drove a manual and auto, had to try the auto. Bought the manual, of course.

Last edited by jeepmor; 09-19-2022 at 09:33 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 07:09 AM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Buying my FRS took about an hour. Test drove a manual and auto, had to try the auto. Bought the manual, of course.
Between my wife and I we have bought 13 new cars over the last 20 years. Not once did I have anything that I would call a hassle. I have had a harder time getting a meal I want at the local greasy spoon. Not exactly sure what sort of things could come up that make it a "hassle" in the first place.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:32 AM   #46
sidhuthe88

Drives: audi
Man, I REALLY want this car after reading and watching all of the glowing impressions. I went from a 10th gen Civic Si to a 340i, and even though my current car is significantly faster than the Civic in a straight line I really miss rowing through the gears and carrying less weight. It’s just way more fun.
https://www.routerlogin.net/
pikashow

Last edited by sidhuthe88; 01-21-2023 at 01:46 AM.
sidhuthe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:11 AM   #47
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Between my wife and I we have bought 13 new cars over the last 20 years. Not once did I have anything that I would call a hassle. I have had a harder time getting a meal I want at the local greasy spoon. Not exactly sure what sort of things could come up that make it a "hassle" in the first place.
Once you learn how to deal with dealerships it's a lot less of a hassle.

Until then, it can definitely be. And the more you do it the better you get at it.

Used car lots tend to be the worst - they play games to try to rip you off more than they already are by default. Actual dealerships are less trouble, and if you have the experience (and particularly, buying history) with them it's pretty straight-forward. The wife and I were in-and-out of the Toyota dealership we got the GR86 from in maybe 30 minutes, tops. I did a ton of legwork ahead of time and had everything lined up before we drove up.

But yeah, if you give them any indication you don't know exactly what you want and have the confidence to walk out if they jerk you around... it's going to be a hassle.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #48
CincyJohn

Quote:
First, I said getting a new car - to be more precise, I should have said changing cars.

Short list of things I find to be a hassle in changing cars:
(1)leg work/research/PIA of finding a new car at an agreeable price;
(2)leg work/research/PIA of selling my old car at an agreeable price;
(3)back when I used to finance, leg work/research/PIA of finding financing at an agreeable price;
(4) DMV time to change registration, insurance change, reprogramming home link, etc.;
(5) leg work/research/PIA of even just simple mods to get the car where it is acceptable (tint/PPF) not to mention more complex/expensive ones (wheels/exhaust/tune)
(6) leg work/research/PIA of demodding existing car (either to maximize value or, in the case of a tuned/decatted car, because you have to).

These are just the ones off the top of my head ...

Is any one of these a deal breaker? No. Is some of it even fun (buying the new car, researching the new car, etc.)? Possibly yes.

But at the end of the day I prefer my existing routine most of the time and things that break up my existing routine I consider a "hassle." And changing cars most definitely breaks up my routine.

Having said that, I bought my first new car ever when I bought my 2020 BRZ in September 2020. Despite that, I did all of the above when I switched to the 2022 in April 2022 (after starting the process in January). That was a case where I thought the hassle was well worth it. But I don't plan on doing that again anytime soon ...
Old 09-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #49
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Once you learn how to deal with dealerships it's a lot less of a hassle.

Until then, it can definitely be. And the more you do it the better you get at it.

Used car lots tend to be the worst - they play games to try to rip you off more than they already are by default. Actual dealerships are less trouble, and if you have the experience (and particularly, buying history) with them it's pretty straight-forward. The wife and I were in-and-out of the Toyota dealership we got the GR86 from in maybe 30 minutes, tops. I did a ton of legwork ahead of time and had everything lined up before we drove up.

But yeah, if you give them any indication you don't know exactly what you want and have the confidence to walk out if they jerk you around... it's going to be a hassle.
Never bought a used car off a lot in my life. All have been private sales.
My wife has been a Finance Manager for dealerships and RV places for almost 30 years now. She worked at one used car dealership that was as decent and honest as you can get. They closed up when the owner retired and she moved onto another. That was was the place that give used car dealers a bad name. All they sold were cars from auctions that the god dealers wouldn't touch. Cardboard and tar to hide holes in the floor, massively high finance rates for "guaranteed credit", safety certificates that weren't worth the paper they were written on and pushy sales guys that would pry on the naïve. She didn't stay there very long.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #50
Tcoat

Quote:
First, I said getting a new car - to be more precise, I should have said changing cars.

Short list of things I find to be a hassle in changing cars:
(1)leg work/research/PIA of finding a new car at an agreeable price;
(2)leg work/research/PIA of selling my old car at an agreeable price;
(3)back when I used to finance, leg work/research/PIA of finding financing at an agreeable price;
(4) DMV time to change registration;
(5) leg work/research/PIA of even just simple mods to get the car where it is acceptable (tint/PPF) not to mention more complex/expensive ones (wheels/exhaust/tune)
(6) leg work/research/PIA of demodding existing car (either to maximize value or, in the case of a tuned/decatted car, because you have to).

These are just the ones off the top of my head ...
1) About 10 minutes work unless you are trying to get deep discounts
2) Not hard at all unless you are asking way over what the value is or are expecting retail prices on a trade in which ain't gonna happen.
3) Maybe hard when you had to go to or call places. Maybe about as long as you took to write this in the age of internet.
4) Don't know about there but dealers do that here for new and can do online for used.
5) That is after the fact and has nothing to do with buying the car so is all on you not the dealer. In fact I get most of those things free or at very little cost by bundling them into the deal.
6) Thought we were talking new cars so totally irrelevant to my response but I wouldn't touch those cars anyway so no hassle here.

All in all it sounds more like you just get yourself worked up and the "hassle" really isn't bad at all.

Mind you I also enjoy moving so maybe I am the weird one!
Old 09-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #51
CincyJohn

Quote:

Mind you I also enjoy moving so maybe I am the weird one!
This is all you needed to say.
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 12:30 PM   #52
Tcoat

Quote:
This is all you needed to say.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #53
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
Either one of these cars would be awesome to own, I think they were trying a little too hard to be biased. Somewhat regret not taking my previous allocation but at the same time okay to wait for the 2023 in the event of all the RTV talk. Hard part is choosing one over the other from a stying perspective, at first I was team GR86 but the BRZ front end has really grown on me after seeing it with some basic aero...and now I cannot decide...maybe order both and what ever comes in first is the winner...going to have to wait either way.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:37 PM   #54
jeepmor

Quote:
I think it's the anxiety of the spend, and the pressure for the extended warranties and such. People not used to shopping for big ticket items can easily say yes too much. My first new car spend when we had a one year old and I had a crushing busy job showed me that.

The FRS, when purchased was the only spend, zero warranty beyond what came with it. Been fine, these cars are good. Albeit I still live by the 'don't buy the first year' mantra. Already seeing new gen sealing problems on the oil pan like the 13s debuted with. Must be a tradition.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:41 PM   #55
CincyJohn

Quote:
I think it's the anxiety of the spend, and the pressure for the extended warranties and such. People not used to shopping for big ticket items can easily say yes too much.
Maybe for somebody, not me. Zero anxiety of the spend, zero difficulties saying no. It’s exactly as I detailed it.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #56
jeepmor

Quote:
Maybe for somebody, not me. Zero anxiety of the spend, zero difficulties saying no. It’s exactly as I detailed it.
Me too, just saying, we're not the norm because extended warranties sell like hotcakes.