follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2022, 12:48 PM   #15
KOUKIBLUEBRZ

Drives: 23 Brz expected in August
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
If you look under the car is there still plastic left around the mount points and screws intact? Not sure about the Gen2 but there's something like 18 screws holding on the Gen 1 lip.
All the screws are gone except one. And the plastic around the bumper holes is still intact!
KOUKIBLUEBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KOUKIBLUEBRZ For This Useful Post:
2020BRZtS (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 12:54 PM   #16
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUKIBLUEBRZ View Post
I just don't get why it would make a difference if the speeding was made on track or not. The lip still f* off at that speed on a car who is made to go at that speed.

Because you expected the dealer to cover it.

Show me where it says the STI lip is designed for that? It is a vanity part after all.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I just don't get why it would make a difference if the speeding was made on track or not. The lip still f* off at that speed on a car who is made to go at that speed.
The speed itself is not the point. The fact that you hit something at some point at that speed is. You may not know you hit something but you did.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #18
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The speed itself is not the point. The fact that you hit something at some point at that speed is. You may not know you hit something but you did.

The fact that he hit something, at that speed, and that the lip was the only thing damaged, should be something to be thankful for. At least that's how I would see it.

Which is the exact reason why I have my lip kit, should I hit something, I rather have the lip kit be destroyed.
2020BRZtS (09-16-2022), Tcoat (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 02:35 PM   #19
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
All the screws are gone except one. And the plastic around the bumper holes is still intact!
Your situation sucks and hard to prove faulty installation or product. 60% of my time behind the wheel is spent at 80+ mph so I don't think speed is a factor in breaking it loose but hitting a small object at that speed can be a big factor. Ask anyone who replaced a windshield from a stone kicked from a truck.

My advice is this. Your time is worth more than trying to fight it and the outcome will likely not be in your favor. You can install a new one yourself in about 2 hours and reinforce it with 3M tape.

Buy a new lip from Subaru, have it shipped to the dealership and get your free shipping and 15% off parts discount (I don't know if the discount is universal but that's what I do.)

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #20
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It could have also failed from preexisting damage you didn't know about.

Maybe one time going out to eat you accidentally tapped the curb and didn't know it, caused a crack that slowly grew over time. Then when you decided to be boy wonder on the street the stressed part finally failed.

Either way, just buy a new lip on move on with your life.
NoHaveMSG (09-16-2022), soundman98 (09-20-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 09:52 PM   #21
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It's a consumable. It's like picking up a nail in a tire. It sucks but front lips break all the time. That's why I don't have one...However, my bumper is trashed lol
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:23 PM   #22
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Check underneath and see how many mounting points it was secured with.

Entirely possible it was not secured with all the available screws/bolts
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #23
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Out of curiosity, how are people installing front lips?
OP mentions all screws being gone but one - which I would assume to be the one that is holding the leftover lip piece in the picture.
I don't think any kind of screw could really hold a lip at such speeds if it is simply screwed through the bottom of the plastic bumper.
On my first gen, I was supplied with bolts and nuts which I used to secure the lip to the inside and outside of the bottom of the front bumper (not an STI lip). This would make it literally impossible to create the kind of scenario OP describes unless all the bolts were to come loose.
I was in a situation once on the highway in which the car in front of me had something unexpected fly out from the bottom of it and catch my lip. It broke the whole front half of it off. Bolts and nuts were still intact.
Attached Images

Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #24
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
Out of curiosity, how are people installing front lips?
OP mentions all screws being gone but one - which I would assume to be the one that is holding the leftover lip piece in the picture.
I don't think any kind of screw could really hold a lip at such speeds if it is simply screwed through the bottom of the plastic bumper.
On my first gen, I was supplied with bolts and nuts which I used to secure the lip to the inside and outside of the bottom of the front bumper (not an STI lip). This would make it literally impossible to create the kind of scenario OP describes unless all the bolts were to come loose.
I was in a situation once on the highway in which the car in front of me had something unexpected fly out from the bottom of it and catch my lip. It broke the whole front half of it off. Bolts and nuts were still intact.
the oem lip uses something like 12 wellnuts with bolts and 6 or so plastic clips, along with double sided tape on the ends where it flares up onto the bumper

after installing my oem sti lip, i gave it multiple good yanks and it wanted to pull the bumper off more than anything

OEM body parts are usually secured very well and are made to cause the least amount of stress and damage to body panels in the event of an accident(hence the well nuts, not a nut/bolt and washer, that can likely rip the bumper itself should the lip get snagged and pulled)
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:29 AM   #25
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
At that speed the air pressure probably pushed down the lip and it touched the ground.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racingfool For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (09-29-2022), Midnightsky (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 08:51 AM   #26
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
the oem lip uses something like 12 wellnuts with bolts and 6 or so plastic clips, along with double sided tape on the ends where it flares up onto the bumper

after installing my oem sti lip, i gave it multiple good yanks and it wanted to pull the bumper off more than anything

OEM body parts are usually secured very well and are made to cause the least amount of stress and damage to body panels in the event of an accident(hence the well nuts, not a nut/bolt and washer, that can likely rip the bumper itself should the lip get snagged and pulled)
Good to know. Though I don't necessarily see how the well nuts would protect the bumper itself from ripping off any more than the standard nut/bolt combo. But I can see how it would be of slight benefit and a cleaner installation.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfool View Post
At that speed the air pressure probably pushed down the lip and it touched the ground.
This is possible. Even a slight rise in the road surface could catch it and BOOM. There isn't enough profile for the wind (even at that speed) to rip it off on it's own but deformation and contact would do the job.
DylanJZA (09-29-2022), Midnightsky (09-20-2022), x808drifter (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:24 AM   #28
Dzmitry

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This is possible. Even a slight rise in the road surface could catch it and BOOM. There isn't enough profile for the wind (even at that speed) to rip it off on it's own but deformation and contact would do the job.
But it is interesting, because the lip is literally tiny as hell. Maybe 1-2 inches out past the connection points? I'm just basing that off of a picture of one. The car is quite high up off the ground as well and based on OPs photo, he looks to be at stock ride height. If he were to scrape the ground due to a slope or something going at such speeds, That would only be a scrape from the bottom. But as many mentioned, it has to be something that caught it and ripped it down under. OP states he has no screws/bolts/whatever left aside from one. And as far as I understand, sounds like OP endured no damage whatsoever to the bumper. So it had to be the cleanest hit ever to catch the half inch of lip that pokes out, rip it clean off with all the hardware, and have no effect on the bumper at all.

Might be harder to see from my photo, but my bumper did endure some damage even though the object barely caught my lip. In fact, it tried to pull the whole bottom portion down, and you can see the bottom grille popped out of its clips. The bumper also endured solid scrapes and paint fully rubbed off near the connection points of the lip.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-20-2022)