follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
Jonboy73

Drives: Toyota GT86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ditching the tweeters? Advice or suggestions please.

So the current setup is a set of 3.5" speakers mounted in the dash coupled with a set of components in the doors, using the original oem wiring layout.
One of my speakers has gone so Im looking at changing the setup by dropping the tweeters and just fitting a pair of 6.5" 2 way coaxials in the doors to go along side the 3.5" speakers in the dash.
The headunit is oem but all the speakers are connected to an external amp (UK model so no amp in the boot). Has anybody gone this route?? Am I ok to use the existing oem wiring or will this cause issues because of how the fronts are originally wired in. Any advice or thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.
Jonboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i always prefer to run my own wiring once i start ditching the factory setup. it's a very easy way to make sure some engineers cost-savings/bright idea doesn't get in the way of my bright ideas.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i always prefer to run my own wiring once i start ditching the factory setup. it's a very easy way to make sure some engineers cost-savings/bright idea doesn't get in the way of my bright ideas.

I second this reply. The front speaker wiring is kind of a bird's nest the way it was designed, at least here in North America. It may be different in the EU models.

I ran two new pairs of speaker wires from my trunk to the dash when I installed my 3" mids and 1" aftermarket drivers. However, I am still using the factory door speaker wiring from the trunk amplifier connection, but I ran new wiring from my aftermarket amp to the factory amp connector where the door speaker wiring starts.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-05-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #4
Jonboy73

Drives: Toyota GT86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
So an update.
Tweeters have been removed and a set of 6.5", 2 ways coaxials installed in the doors to go along with the 3.5" in the dash. Bypassed the OEM wiring at the front and rewired the doors directly to the external amp. This totally changes the front sound stage and I wish I had done it sooner. Now the tweeters have been removed I may even upgrade the dash ones to a 4" but for now happy with the results.
Jonboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonboy73 For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (08-10-2021), soundman98 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #5
Teppka

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tweeters in doors is not a good idea. While bass speaker location is mostly irrelevant since bass has no direction, mids are already preferred to face you directly. More so for tweeters. Hence tweeter location is always on the upper area of the dash and if possible facing driver and passenger directly. Having62 way speakers in doors will defeat this purpose as tweeters location in the bottom facing your legs will basically not allow you to hear them.

Another point is once you change any speakers you have to setup speaker delays and intensity properly. Which I don't think is possible with factory unit.

I also have European model but did much more costly update to mine, 3 way Focals, mids/tweets in the dash, midbass in the doors and custom made sub cabin in the spare tire with 20cm audison sub. I didn't use Focal crossovers, instead used Audison amplifier with DSP. I also updated the head unit to Kenwood double DIN. And let me tell you manual setup for speaker delays was impossible to do. Installer used automatic calibration mics and software by Audison which set delays perfectly and now I have insanely music scene in front of me. Back speakers are removed.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Teppka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teppka For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 12:33 AM   #6
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teppka View Post
Tweeters in doors is not a good idea. While bass speaker location is mostly irrelevant since bass has no direction, mids are already preferred to face you directly. More so for tweeters. Hence tweeter location is always on the upper area of the dash and if possible facing driver and passenger directly. Having62 way speakers in doors will defeat this purpose as tweeters location in the bottom facing your legs will basically not allow you to hear them.

Another point is once you change any speakers you have to setup speaker delays and intensity properly. Which I don't think is possible with factory unit.

I also have European model but did much more costly update to mine, 3 way Focals, mids/tweets in the dash, midbass in the doors and custom made sub cabin in the spare tire with 20cm audison sub. I didn't use Focal crossovers, instead used Audison amplifier with DSP. I also updated the head unit to Kenwood double DIN. And let me tell you manual setup for speaker delays was impossible to do. Installer used automatic calibration mics and software by Audison which set delays perfectly and now I have insanely music scene in front of me. Back speakers are removed.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

There really isn't anything like going four-way full active with digital signal processing. My system is similar to yours with Dayton drivers in every spot in front and a first generation survivor 12" Orion HCCA sub in my personally custom-designed sealed enclosure. Running all my drivers off of eight channels between 3 Cerwin Vega amplifiers, all controlled by my new Pioneer DEH-P99RS head unit.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote