follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2016, 01:44 AM   #57
GT86_PRAGUE

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
So...
I ditched Kartboy & Anarchy knob combo for CAE. It is very different as you can already imagine. It feels more appropriate for my car, it is audible - nice mechanical click noise on shifting and constant transmission whining under throttle. Nice addition to my wanna be urban racecar.
I dont think it is faster than Kartboy, frankly I dont have the guts to smash the gears faster, but it is probably the same. The position closer to the wheel is awesome and that mechanical noise is calming.

I have this installed by my mechanic, it was pretty quick, except finetuning reverse gear. That was PITA and costs me fortune. They had to shorten reverse pin by rasper, because I was not able to shift to reverse in any position of shifter even all the way back. He also had to bend lower plate a bit. Basically he told me, that this product is very awesome, very professionally maid, but with few basic flaws:
- The reverse wire is on top and the nut holding it is the reason of cutting a panel, which could be prevented if the placement of this was different.
- The bottom plate didnt matched the CAE and he had to bend it somewhere.
- I mention the reverse pin. You can adjust other pins but not this one. Insane.
- They still dont include installation manual!
- They didnt reply to any of my emails about ETA or how to adjust the reverse issue, they only took money and send a product. ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

So, I am a bit disappointed about details mentioned above, but quite happy afterall. Lets see how much beating can this transmission hold with CAE.

Does anyone know Subaru partcode for the dust boot under shifter?
GT86_PRAGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #58
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86_PRAGUE View Post
So...
I ditched Kartboy & Anarchy knob combo for CAE. It is very different as you can already imagine. It feels more appropriate for my car, it is audible - nice mechanical click noise on shifting and constant transmission whining under throttle. Nice addition to my wanna be urban racecar.
I dont think it is faster than Kartboy, frankly I dont have the guts to smash the gears faster, but it is probably the same. The position closer to the wheel is awesome and that mechanical noise is calming.

I have this installed by my mechanic, it was pretty quick, except finetuning reverse gear. That was PITA and costs me fortune. They had to shorten reverse pin by rasper, because I was not able to shift to reverse in any position of shifter even all the way back. He also had to bend lower plate a bit. Basically he told me, that this product is very awesome, very professionally maid, but with few basic flaws:
- The reverse wire is on top and the nut holding it is the reason of cutting a panel, which could be prevented if the placement of this was different.
- I mention the reverse pin. You can adjust other pins but not this one. Insane.
- They didnt reply to any of my emails about ETA or how to adjust the reverse issue, they only took money and send a product. ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE.

So, I am a bit disappointed about details mentioned above, but quite happy afterall. Lets see how much beating can this transmission hold with CAE.

For that kind of money there should be zero issues...
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:22 AM   #59
GT86_PRAGUE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Yes, I also expected flawless installation, functionality, manual and support.

But I can tell you about my cracked Cosworth manifold and other issues I had with whole Cosworth kit including ZERO CUSTOMER CARE, that would bring this to another level.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT86_PRAGUE For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #60
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
God I wish this thing was 1/2" shorter. If I didn't have to cut up my console, my credit card would already be screaming in agony.

Also, I want this. LOL

Damn it... E36
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ne-Mounts.aspx
Old 06-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #61
derek1ee

Drives: BRZ/FRS/STI/M3
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, I have a different expectation for consumer/tuner parts vs. race oriented one.

I want consumer/tuner parts to have a larger tolerance, and install without any modification. For race parts, it will have a tighter tolerance, and some modification may be required. I was just watching "Journey to le mans" and you will see even professional teams have to deal with it.

The CAE shifter is a race oriented part IMO, with the reach it provides, the length below the pivot has to be very short to keep the throw short, it would have been great if no modification was needed, but I didn't mind doing some grinding.
derek1ee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derek1ee For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #62
derek1ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
God I wish this thing was 1/2" shorter. If I didn't have to cut up my console, my credit card would already be screaming in agony.

Also, I want this. LOL

Damn it... E36
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ne-Mounts.aspx
You do know that people buy it because it's taller, right?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #63
raven1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1ee View Post
Well, I have a different expectation for consumer/tuner parts vs. race oriented one.

I want consumer/tuner parts to have a larger tolerance, and install without any modification. For race parts, it will have a tighter tolerance, and some modification may be required. I was just watching "Journey to le mans" and you will see even professional teams have to deal with it.

The CAE shifter is a race oriented part IMO, with the reach it provides, the length below the pivot has to be very short to keep the throw short, it would have been great if no modification was needed, but I didn't mind doing some grinding.
The thought of taking a grinder to a $1000 shifter just sounds scary to me lol
Old 06-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #64
derek1ee

Quote:
The thought of taking a grinder to a $1000 shifter just sounds scary to me lol
You grind the OEM selector rod, not the shifter.
The Following User Says Thank You to derek1ee For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #65
raven1231

Quote:
You grind the OEM selector rod, not the shifter.
Oh I see, well that's better than I guess ha ha
Old 06-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #66
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
You do know that people buy it because it's taller, right?
I'm talking about the mounting hardware/housing. :|
If it was 1/2" shorter, you wouldn't have to chop up the center console to install it.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #67
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86_PRAGUE View Post
So...

By reverse pin are you talking about the set screw next to the other set screws for gears 1-2 and 5-6 throw adjustment, or the actual release rod that is in the spring assembly on top of the housing? All three adjustment set screws should have no issues being adjusted in or out...reverse has a slightly longer end for locking out the shift lever. If I remember correctly though, it is on there REALLY tight compared to the other two and I don't remember if I actually could turn it...it fit fine as it came so I didn't have to adjust it. Best to have the selector in neutral with the transmission mounting screws a little loose and adjust the shifter housing position so the shift lever is as straight up as possible.

What engine and transmission mounts are you running as well? it is highy recommended to go with stiffer or solid mounts with the CAE Ultra shifter.

It's not a plug-and-play shifter unfortunately, have to fit it to the car. I've notice on mine there's a difference in the OEM bushings that go onto the pins of the rod between the transmission and shifter. The replacement OEM bushings fit differently than the original ones that came with it. The OEM replacement rod is also a little different....car manufacturers always seem to change things even if the part number is the same.... my FR-S is an early 2012 build, bought it before the official release date.

If you are talking about the shift boot under the car that covers the rod and shifter shaft, might be easier to just tie wrap two layers of a heavy duty clear plastic bag (I cut the two corners off a gallon sized freezer bag and made my own boot quick and cheap... it held up fine even when the pin broke...contained everything and kept the elements out.) Much easier than wrangling that stupid thin OEM rubber boot around the catch pin without tearing it...and then tearing it... LOL

I'm not even running a boot now with the temporary stock setup.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #68
derek1ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
I'm talking about the mounting hardware/housing. :|
If it was 1/2" shorter, you wouldn't have to chop up the center console to install it.

I'm sure there are some common parts shared between other shifters they offer for other cars, and if this is designed specifically for the twin to begin with, the problem won't exist. I run mine with out the center console, but I do understand people use this is street legal cars and want to retain the console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 AM   #69
GT86_PRAGUE

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
By reverse pin are you talking about the set screw next to the other set screws for gears 1-2 and 5-6 throw adjustment, or the actual release rod that is in the spring assembly on top of the housing? All three adjustment set screws should have no issues being adjusted in or out...reverse has a slightly longer end for locking out the shift lever. If I remember correctly though, it is on there REALLY tight compared to the other two and I don't remember if I actually could turn it...it fit fine as it came so I didn't have to adjust it. Best to have the selector in neutral with the transmission mounting screws a little loose and adjust the shifter housing position so the shift lever is as straight up as possible.
Other two pins could be adjusted easily, but not this one. He damaged three imbus keys trying to adjust it.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #70
M1K3

Drives: vrooom...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just installed mine over the weekend and drove it Today. I don't know if you can justify a $1000 shifter, but this thing sure makes a solid case. I had a Kartboy shifter before this and loved it, but you can't even compare it to the CAE Shifter, which is in a totally different league.

M1K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M1K3 For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (06-14-2016)

Tags
cae ultra shifter