follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Lowering springs regrets ?

so, Ive had my Swift springs for about a year. I miss my 'cush' ride and its getting to the point where I want my original suspension back ? ok , maybe its because im 'over-the'hill but still ---- anyone else go thru withdrawals ?

yea, it looks better but im thinking of packing it up and calling it a phase. TI also question the real advantage ? it seemed that with the stock suspension I had a bit more travel and on mtn runs, it seemed to sway a bit more but its more forgiving on the bumps and I don't think im doing my stock shocks a favor either ?

thoughts - suggestions ? im about to pull them out.
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
get koni yellows.

problem solved
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are you still using the original bump stops?

edited, damn fat fingers.

Last edited by Calum; 11-03-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
so, Ive had my Swift springs for about a year. I miss my 'cush' ride and its getting to the point where I want my original suspension back ? ok , maybe its because im 'over-the'hill but still ---- anyone else go thru withdrawals ?

yea, it looks better but im thinking of packing it up and calling it a phase. TI also question the real advantage ? it seemed that with the stock suspension I had a bit more travel and on mtn runs, it seemed to sway a bit more but its more forgiving on the bumps and I don't think im doing my stock shocks a favor either ?

Save and get RS-R Black-i's. Could be right up your alley.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ghlight=blacki
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliverBrz View Post
get koni yellows.

problem solved
Agree with this. A lot of what you are feeling has to do with the actual shock. Obviously the springs plays a little into it, but my M3 smoothed out A LOT when I swapped to Koni's from the factory shocks. I was running H&R race springs, so they were pretty stiff. I'm assuming (Just an assumption, as I haven't done it) that this car will be the same.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #6

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I am waiting for blestin B8 to use with my swift springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VOLK LE37 17X7.5, SWIFT Springs, Bilstein B8, HKS intake duct, Cosworth Air Filter, HKS headers, PLM Over Pipe, EVS Down Pipe & Exhaust, FD 4.55, GFB pulleys, Axle-Exchange Drive Shaft, Mishimoto oil cooler, Cusco F&R strut bar, TRD door stabilizer, Innovate SC, Delicious Tuned
8686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
MidnightRunner

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
ok , maybe its because im 'over-the'hill
Yeah I think that might be it. :sly: All jokes aside, as stated by everyone here, swapping the shocks could have a huge difference for you. I have flat roads with minimal potholes so my swifts on stock shocks work fine for me. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
if I end up doing the ylw konis, don't you then have to mess around with the strut stop .. and a lot of other things ? I need to read up on that - I thought I heard something about having to do some mods or change some bolts on the struts etc.etc.

idk, maybe i like the look but i just wonder about the stiffer ride and what its buying me other than a cooler look .

i thought aobut what the difference would be if i went stock height and put some 18's x 8 or 7.5 instead just to fill the gap a little more.. hmm
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
DougW

Drives: FR-S stock for now
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

If you can wait the Bilstein Damptronic package will restore your ride and give you great handling. I just got back from a drive from SC to Detroit to SC with a bad back and enjoyed the ride. Austin took the same package to Roebling Roads race track and drove it like a race car with the flip of a switch. About $3200 for the package.
DougW
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DougW For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-26-2014)
Old 11-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
The front koni shocks are inserts so you'll have to sacrifice your own or buy one in the classifieds. There is some adjustment stuff to read up on but it's easy to adjust.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I have Eibach Sportlines and sometimes I feel like it's too low for my taste. I think I should've gone with a Pro-Kit, but I'm not sure.

About half the pics I see with a Pro-Kit look great, while the other half you can barely tell the car is dropped.

Who knows...maybe after seeing my car on a Pro-Kit I'd want the Sportlines back.
ericmpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
Raven23

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
I have Eibach Sportlines and sometimes I feel like it's too low for my taste. I think I should've gone with a Pro-Kit, but I'm not sure.

About half the pics I see with a Pro-Kit look great, while the other half you can barely tell the car is dropped.

Who knows...maybe after seeing my car on a Pro-Kit I'd want the Sportlines back.
Dang, I have the same problem. Thinking about going sportline but afraid it might be too low for a DD. I don't want to settle for pro kit and see a huge wheel gap tho. Sigh. The pros and cons haha
Raven23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raven23 For This Useful Post:
ericmpena (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
The wheel gap with pro springs is an inch or very close to front and back even, it isn't too much IMO.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have 20,000 miles on my Eibach Pro kit. My stock shocks are still doing ok. I do plan on upgrading the shocks in the future though. I am happy with the ride quality, the height, and the look. I only scraped with three people on a steep driveway one time.

I read every post on springs before making a decision. My opinion is that most mild drop springs will work better than the more aggressive drop springs. Meaning if you lower an inch or less, your ride quality and shock longevity will be better.

My budget at the time would not support even "cheap" coilovers. Though after reading reviews, I decided that buying "cheap" coilovers was not the way to go.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote