follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2024, 07:02 PM   #1
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diagnose these issues- separate or same

So timeline:

Car is track only. After running hard it will hard start. But it always started so nbd.

Engine rebuilt. No issues

Later starts having battery drain. Fast. 3 hours and it's too low to start. One time I swore I heard an electrical humming on the lift, but I couldn't investigate much as I was in a rush. I didn't really care much because I was about to install a kill switch.

2 weeks ago, while idling in hot pits, it dies wont start. Seemed like battery was low, but then even with a jump box, it wouldn't start. Definitely felt like no fuel and got Code P0087. 1/3 tank of gas (and based on normal usage, I definitely had more left in the tank). Tow to garage. Add 1 gallon of gas and starts right up! Weird. Go to fill it up and it only takes 8 gallons. Weird. No problems all day.

Next week, go back to the track. Starts right up (on battery tender). Back up, about to let it warm up and it stalls again. Wont start up again. UGh. Run a different car all day, come back and the battery is super low as expected. Gets to one "click". Push it in the garage and notice clicking coming from fuse box under the hood. Remove key and it stops.

I ordered a new fuel pump (it has an aftermarket one in there)

Engine wise, it's stock aside from CAI/Exhausts/Headers/Tune. No power adders or anything. I unplugged everything aftermarket I can think of (which is really just data loggers).

Fuel pump + unrelated battery draw?
Cam position sensor + unrelated battery draw?
Other? All 3?
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:56 PM   #2
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
So timeline:

Car is track only. After running hard it will hard start. But it always started so nbd.

Engine rebuilt. No issues

Later starts having battery drain. Fast. 3 hours and it's too low to start. One time I swore I heard an electrical humming on the lift, but I couldn't investigate much as I was in a rush. I didn't really care much because I was about to install a kill switch.

2 weeks ago, while idling in hot pits, it dies wont start. Seemed like battery was low, but then even with a jump box, it wouldn't start. Definitely felt like no fuel and got Code P0087. 1/3 tank of gas (and based on normal usage, I definitely had more left in the tank). Tow to garage. Add 1 gallon of gas and starts right up! Weird. Go to fill it up and it only takes 8 gallons. Weird. No problems all day.

Next week, go back to the track. Starts right up (on battery tender). Back up, about to let it warm up and it stalls again. Wont start up again. UGh. Run a different car all day, come back and the battery is super low as expected. Gets to one "click". Push it in the garage and notice clicking coming from fuse box under the hood. Remove key and it stops.

I ordered a new fuel pump (it has an aftermarket one in there)

Engine wise, it's stock aside from CAI/Exhausts/Headers/Tune. No power adders or anything. I unplugged everything aftermarket I can think of (which is really just data loggers).

Fuel pump + unrelated battery draw?
Cam position sensor + unrelated battery draw?
Other? All 3?

You have not mentioned anything about voltage readings. It's very difficult to diagnose vehicle electric systems without the proper tools. Have you been taking any voltage readings with your multimeter? What are the voltages at the lead battery posts and then at the clamps connected to each post while you are experiencing the problems described?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:41 AM   #3
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would start with alternator and battery. Motor rebuilt? Maybe there's a ground hanging off somewhere? If there's a draw, get a voltmeter on it and start pulling fuses.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:21 AM   #4
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I didn't see any loose grounds, but i'll look for them. I'll also get a voltage reading next time I go up the track.
Is there a diagram/schematic of all the grounds?
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:42 PM   #5
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
As with anything electrical get a volt meter and start checking where you are losing voltage.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote