follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #15
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Thats not true. This group is for people to learn. YOu can't just step onto a track and instantly know everything there is to know....
Maybe it was just me then? My first trackday was a shitshow in novice group. People coming on track bythemselves during lead follow because they missed the call to get ready. There was some asshole, who to do a point by just rested his arm out the window and didn't slow down enough for the cars without power to pass. It was a mess because, like I said, people were not taking it seriously. Most of the things they were doing were covered in the drivers briefing.

I am not saying I am fast on the track, but I take being safe very seriously because I don't want to damage my car or have to pay for someone else's car. Behavior like I say is not just disrespectful it is outright dangerous!
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jdmjunkie For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-09-2021), soundman98 (04-09-2021), timurrrr (04-11-2021), why? (04-13-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #16
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thats not true. This group is for people to learn. YOu can't just step onto a track and instantly know everything there is to know....
I would attest that it's very true, just like on public roads. You are going to run into hotheaded and arrogant individuals who do think they instantly know everything there is to know and as such drive like hot shit until the point they crash and take someone out in the process.

Good example of that is right here. Now whether or not the organization is to blame is an entirely different matter that I do not feel I am qualified to discuss, but you get the idea.

It's one thing for a newbie to acknowledge that they aren't the best and that there is much to learn; it's another thing entirely to completely disregard everything said in the driver's meeting and endanger everybody around them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #17
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S View Post
I would attest that it's very true, just like on public roads. You are going to run into hotheaded and arrogant individuals who do think they instantly know everything there is to know and as such drive like hot shit until the point they crash and take someone out in the process.

Good example of that is right here. Now whether or not the organization is to blame is an entirely different matter that I do not feel I am qualified to discuss, but you get the idea.

It's one thing for a newbie to acknowledge that they aren't the best and that there is much to learn; it's another thing entirely to completely disregard everything said in the driver's meeting and endanger everybody around them.
Yes there are some bad apples but I feel these people are a small percentage.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #18
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes there are some bad apples but I feel these people are a small percentage.
And that small percentage is enough for me to get track day insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-13-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
My first ever track day was an SCCA TNiA and it was a shit show. No instruction except for where to pass and you had to have a point by. That was it. Cars that shouldn't have been on track at all since you tech'd your own car. That supercharged CRV was no joke in my other post, stock drums on the rear, all season tires. You could see pieces of brake shoes coming off of that thing along with a huge cloud of smoke from the brakes when you where behind it. Bunches of cars quit. Our last session was pretty much in the dark since they were so far behind schedule.
Jdmjunkie (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 05:02 PM   #20
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
My first ever track day was an SCCA TNiA and it was a shit show. No instruction except for where to pass and you had to have a point by. That was it. Cars that shouldn't have been on track at all since you tech'd your own car. That supercharged CRV was no joke in my other post, stock drums on the rear, all season tires. You could see pieces of brake shoes coming off of that thing along with a huge cloud of smoke from the brakes when you where behind it. Bunches of cars quit. Our last session was pretty much in the dark since they were so far behind schedule.
All the groups I run with are highly organized and would not tolerate that kind of shit. But to your point a fellow 86 cup member had a incident where he hit another car that had spun(cheap stripped out Civic) and it caused significant front end damaged. He had track insurance.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-09-2021), Jdmjunkie (04-09-2021), timurrrr (04-11-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #21
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
All the groups I run with are highly organized and would not tolerate that kind of shit. But to your point a fellow 86 cup member had a incident where he hit another car that had spun(cheap stripped out Civic) and it caused significant front end damaged. He had track insurance.
Yeah, all other run groups I have been with are good. SpeedSF was the next worse to SCCA, and they are pretty good. SCCA was just a shit show, Forza public lobby bad.
Jdmjunkie (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 06:27 PM   #22
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
The insurer knows the odds way better than you do. You can rest assured their risk is WAY beyond covered. Skip track insurance. Drive within your limits. For sure if you're going to be doing this for a while, there's no way it's worth it.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #23
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
The insurer knows the odds way better than you do. You can rest assured their risk is WAY beyond covered. Skip track insurance. Drive within your limits. For sure if you're going to be doing this for a while, there's no way it's worth it.
I both agree and disagree with this.

I do buy insurance sometimes, when I'm at riskier venues.

Insurance is like safety gear. You hope you never have to use it, but always feel like you pay too much when you get it!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (04-09-2021), jkamelo (04-10-2021), KR-S (04-09-2021), Sapphireho (04-09-2021), soundman98 (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 10:08 PM   #24
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Yeah, all other run groups I have been with are good. SpeedSF was the next worse to SCCA, and they are pretty good. SCCA was just a shit show, Forza public lobby bad.
Track Night in America isn't representative of any of the other SCCA disciplines.

I know at my local tracks, incidents are so few and far between that I've never bothered with insurance (just over 100 events in the last 3 years alone). I've only seen a few events and most of them were like when a BMW lost its brakes and plowed through a tire barrier waay off track, and when Mustang rolled over after spinning off track into a drainage ditch (typically on the side of the track least likely for someone to have an off on). There are a couple local track groups that have gone over a decade without car to car contact at their events (I believe the longest dates back 16 years).

Now, if I raced at more dangerous tracks, then the idea of track insurance might be more appealing. I do have an emergency fund to replace/repair my track vehicle, so I guess I'm self-insured.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #25
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post

Now, if I raced at more dangerous tracks, then the idea of track insurance might be more appealing. I do have an emergency fund to replace/repair my track vehicle, so I guess I'm self-insured.
I think you're on to something regarding the track itself. I live in central Ohio so Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course is my "home" track. There are plenty of blind turns and other areas where things can go wrong if you make a mistake and you can really be punished if that happens. I get track insurance because it's reasonably priced ($160 for my car) and my experience level just isn't high enough for me to feel comfortable with not doing it just yet.

I also ran Pitt Race once outside of Pittsburgh. I really didn't feel like it had the same kinds of concerns that I have at Mid-Ohio. It's a much different track but I would still get insurance for my BRZ there. For one of my other race cars I wasn't as concerned so I wouldn't have gotten it for that car.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:33 PM   #26
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
for $300, it being your only car, i'd do it. consider it $300 to keep the status quo and learn something new.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:54 PM   #27
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
My car was balled up at an autocross by an incredibly talented driver. It hurt him pretty badly financially... And since I was better able to absorb some loss, I took some of the hit. Just because he didn't deserve it.

Insurance is paying a little so you don't pay everything you've got and then some. Or maybe less...

If you're up for that, by all means. Someone is covering costs when shit happens. The question is who.
RT-BRZ (04-10-2021), soundman98 (04-09-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #28
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
Track Night in America isn't representative of any of the other SCCA disciplines.
Didn’t say it was, the SCCA TT event I went to was run okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk