follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #43
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post
Bluf for op: oil cooler and done.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
He probably doesn't need a dedicated oil cooler at all. In fact, it could be a problem. He is only using it for daily driving, and he is in Canada. I run the Forester XT oil regulator, and I don't have any issues with heat, and I am in California. He would be fine with something like that.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #44
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
One time my wife's PT Cruiser (now has an Audi Q5) was due for an oil change and probably was a quart or more low. We were on a mountain pass doing aggressive driving to get home, and when corning the oil warning light would come on. I could imagine a pressure gauge working well to alert a driver to pressure drops in high speed cornering, especially in mild cornering if oil levels were getting low. My wife's Audi has a coolant warning light that alerted us that coolant was low. We didn't even know the coolant pump was leaking because there were no puddles, nor was there a smell and the leak slowly dropped the level in the reservoir by an inch or two every few days.
Every time that light flickered on, it was an oil starvation event. It just happened to be that the event was small enough to not cause any immediate damage. However, if you're seeing the lap come on over and over, don't you think it's prudent to... stop making the light come on?

My question to you, has zero relation, to what I do myself. That's why I ask you a question, so that I can determine what you are doing. I don't work based on assumptions, only off of data and ultimately, the end results.

Funny how the RSR you chose has no gauges whatsoever.

You often base your conclusions on good known facts/science, but often draw wildly incorrect conclusions.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:59 PM   #45
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Every time that light flickered on, it was an oil starvation event. It just happened to be that the event was small enough to not cause any immediate damage. However, if you're seeing the lap come on over and over, don't you think it's prudent to... stop making the light come on?

My question to you, has zero relation, to what I do myself. That's why I ask you a question, so that I can determine what you are doing. I don't work based on assumptions, only off of data and ultimately, the end results.

Funny how the RSR you chose has no gauges whatsoever.

You often base your conclusions on good known facts/science, but often draw wildly incorrect conclusions.
We didn’t care all too much. $300 dollar car on the open market, and we did slow down, but a change in pitch sometimes reactivated it too. It wasn’t a sustained long turn.

They moved to a digital gauge. It says oil pressure on the screen and says 5 bar. They never stopped using gauges. The gauges just changed shape in their race cars. As the Nascar article highlighted (not Porsche), it is required and not entirely accepted because of fear the electronic dash could “go black” mid race.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:52 PM   #46
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
He probably doesn't need a dedicated oil cooler at all. In fact, it could be a problem. He is only using it for daily driving, and he is in Canada. I run the Forester XT oil regulator, and I don't have any issues with heat, and I am in California. He would be fine with something like that.
I'm just going to agree to disagree on this one. He has a turbo kit and you don't know how heavy his right foot is.

ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ybotspawn For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-21-2020), Irace86.2.0 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #47
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I'm just going to agree to disagree on this one. He has a turbo kit and you don't know how heavy his right foot is.

It isn’t the extra heat. It is the excessive cooling. In that case, something with a thermostat or something like the Jackson racing oil cooler radiator would be better than an open oil cooler for a year round daily driver in Canada.
DarkPira7e (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #48
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

My AVO turbo 86 daily lives thru 40+° c summers here in AU with only a Forester heat exchanger and 5w30.

My right foot weighs the same as Thors hammer.

So there is that

It's more about use, the street where you want fast warm up and there is a limit on how much you can beat on it, is far different than lap after lap, at your local track.

Meh, OP, in the end, if you do get an air to oil cooler, get a high temp thermostat (90°c) and be prepared to block it durning winter.

Me, I like my oil the be 80-90°c before I beat on it, and I'm happy with temps up to about 120°c.

I have had thoughts on getting a bigger O2W, but so far I haven't needed it.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-21-2020), Irace86.2.0 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #49
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
It isn’t the extra heat. It is the excessive cooling. In that case, something with a thermostat or something like the Jackson racing oil cooler radiator would be better than an open oil cooler for a year round daily driver in Canada.
Since I ended up blocking off/disconnecting my oil cooler in the winter, I do want to advocate that even with the Mishimoto oil cooler with a thermostat, I had a very hard time getting my oil above 65c (~150f) most days unless it was blocked off.

On the flip side of that, I never had a problem with the oil not reaching a higher operating temp. It's below freezing temp here from October until April/May, and even through plenty of blackstone reports ( for what they're worth) I never seemed to have fuel or water contamination in the oil. It always came back healthy. And then Toyota did the recall. Anyway, if I could do it over, I would've gotten the Jackson Racing radiator/oil cooler combo. Helps get it UP to temp faster, helps moderate it better.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-21-2020), tomm.brz (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #50
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
i agree with you with the too much cooling of the oil radiator.. but then a cooler like the Forester/wrx one isn t then enough sometimes if you are really pushing it, and then it needs to have ignition timing relaxed, and more heat is produced with less power.. and so on until you are completely heatsoaked

what I find to work perfectly is a behind the fender radiator like the hks cooler, and a cardboard covering it
it stops to cool too much
i don t get the warming thing the OEM cooler gives, but my car warms up the oil quickly anyway with the supercharger, and I use a lean afr of 15.5 during closed loop
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #51
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Since I ended up blocking off/disconnecting my oil cooler in the winter, I do want to advocate that even with the Mishimoto oil cooler with a thermostat, I had a very hard time getting my oil above 65c (~150f) most days unless it was blocked off.

On the flip side of that, I never had a problem with the oil not reaching a higher operating temp. It's below freezing temp here from October until April/May, and even through plenty of blackstone reports ( for what they're worth) I never seemed to have fuel or water contamination in the oil. It always came back healthy. And then Toyota did the recall. Anyway, if I could do it over, I would've gotten the Jackson Racing radiator/oil cooler combo. Helps get it UP to temp faster, helps moderate it better.
Interesting.

Even in freezing (under 32F/0C) weather, I can get my oil to 75C (post-cooler) cruising without issue. I've literally never seen over 110C, even on the hottest of summer track days, and my turbo is oil cooled.

GReddy oil cooler w/ race shroud, for those wondering which cooler I use.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:25 PM   #52
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

Yeah, your comments mirror my sentiments. I recall someone who lived in a cold/snowy area who was finding that his oil never got up to temperature during his commute (I don’t recall how far it was to be honest). I do recall him saying oil temps actually dropped initially (maybe this was a garaged car that then saw a drop after hitting the cool open air).
Old 02-21-2020, 06:22 PM   #53
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Ive been using the forester heat exchanger to bring temps up quicker in tandem to my oil cooler kit i made using a mocal thermostat plate that i swapped a 92C / 197F thermostat in. Normal mocal thermostat is 82C / 180F but they always allow 10% flow and start opening allowing more flow 30F below full open temp. So 180F thermostat starts opening at 150F which cruising on the freeway can make it difficult to get over 160F as its already flowing a decent amount by then. With the 197F thermostat it starts opening at 167F making it quicker and easier to get to the 170s and forester heat exchanger helps speed it up a little as well.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 10:26 PM   #54
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Interesting.

Even in freezing (under 32F/0C) weather, I can get my oil to 75C (post-cooler) cruising without issue. I've literally never seen over 110C, even on the hottest of summer track days, and my turbo is oil cooled.

GReddy oil cooler w/ race shroud, for those wondering which cooler I use.
It gets freezing in Orange County? lol Just kidding, but honestly, although I'm sure your car has traveled to cold areas, but was it to Vermont-like cold areas? I'm truly curious because it is fricken freezing there, and it is why I suggested the OP (who is from Canada, and possible of a more northern latitude) could possibly go without a dedicated oil cooler for daily driving his car.

Quote:
The annual mean temperature for the state is 43 °F (6 °C)
Quote:
The lowest recorded temperature was −50 °F (−46 °C), at Bloomfield, on December 30, 1933; this is the lowest temperature recorded in New England alongside Big Black River, which recorded a verified −50 °F (−46 °C) in 2009.
Quote:
The United States Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones for the state range between zone 3b, no colder than −35 °F (−37 °C), in the Northeast Kingdom and northern part of the state and zone 5b, no colder than −15 °F (−26 °C), in the southern part of the state
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont#Climate

I have never heard of this rating system (hardness zones), so I looked it up and got this image, which may illustrate the climate differences that might explain the disparity between your experience and the experience of @DarkPira7e and potentially the OP's. Maybe it was a wind chill factor and humidity in Vermont or the car was sitting in -20°C all night, so it was colder to begin with, but it seems reasonable that both of your experiences were likely normal and expected:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardiness_zone

Old 02-22-2020, 12:37 AM   #55
CSG Mike

Quote:
It gets freezing in Orange County? lol Just kidding, but honestly, although I'm sure your car has traveled to cold areas, but was it to Vermont-like cold areas? I'm truly curious because it is fricken freezing there, and it is why I suggested the OP (who is from Canada, and possible of a more northern latitude) could possibly go without a dedicated oil cooler for daily driving his car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont#Climate

I have never heard of this rating system (hardness zones), so I looked it up and got this image, which may illustrate the climate differences that might explain the disparity between your experience and the experience of @DarkPira7e and potentially the OP's. Maybe it was a wind chill factor and humidity in Vermont or the car was sitting in -20°C all night, so it was colder to begin with, but it seems reasonable that both of your experiences were likely normal and expected:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardiness_zone

I'd say I've done my share of cold weather driving with the BRZ, and enough to have quite a bit of data from it, considering I log 100% of my driving.

The last pic was taken here:

The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-22-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 01:30 AM   #56
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I'd say I've done my share of cold weather driving with the BRZ, and enough to have quite a bit of data from it, considering I log 100% of my driving.
Well, it was just a hypothesis.