follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
diy

oil costs $19+$7 right now, and the filter+crush washers are always $10.
https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-Syn...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Not everybody has the space nor even the inclination to change their own oil.
I haven't changed my own in almost 20 years. And you know what? I don't miss it one little bit.
Dadhawk (12-03-2020), HaXx (12-03-2020), soundman98 (12-05-2020), StE92ve (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #30
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not everybody has the space nor even the inclination to change their own oil.
I haven't changed my own in almost 20 years. And you know what? I don't miss it one little bit.
Yep, same. I even have the tools and that's just one of those things I don't do haha. I'll put other parts on and save a bunch of money, but changing oil just becomes a job. I buy my own like HaXx said, take it to a good private shop I've been going to for years, and he charges me a simple 20 bucks every time. He's also within 5 minutes of my residence, vs. the closest dealership, which is more like 20 minutes from me.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
HaXx (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #31
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
A little background: Back in the day when I used to put 25-30,000 miles/year on my car, I would buy engine oil and filters by the case and do the changes myself but still brought it to a shop to have other maintenance performed. Not putting anywhere near that mileage on my cars these days, been having my dealer do all the maintenance, which I've been very satisfied with.

At this point, I'm leaning towards an 86 and if given the fact that either dealer has a reputable service department, is there any issue/benefit having an 86 serviced at a Subaru dealer rather than the Toyota dealership?
If you bought the 86 new, you should go to a Toyota dealership for the first 3 services, it's free through your included Toyotacare.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
StE92ve (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 07:01 PM   #32
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
If you bought the 86 new, you should go to a Toyota dealership for the first 3 services, it's free through your included Toyotacare.
I'm also reviewing dealer ratings for sales and service departments. I'm fortunate to live in an area that has multiple Subaru & Toyota dealers.
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #33
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
the cars are really the same, some of the springs/struts are slightly different, but none significantly different, some come with forged PP wheels, some with brembos, some better tires, some with sport exhausts. but other than that, its really a toss up for brand identity, which company you want to represent in this materialistic society.

to give a definitive answer to the initial question, the service departments in my eyes are the same, and would not be a factor to influence my decision.

and i cant believe im being ostracized for changing my own oil
Old 12-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #34
theoc86

Drives: 2019 Performance pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
do you have to get a toyota to service to not void the warranty?
theoc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 AM   #35
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoc86 View Post
If I understand your question, no, at least not in the US. Regular maintenance can be done by anyone as long as you have the documentation to prove it if asked, and in theory the warranty work has to be directly caused by a lack of preventative maintenance.

Also, warranties technically are only voided if you have a salvage car. A warranty claim and be denied but that does not mean the warranty is voided on the car as a whole.

Honestly though, I've never been asked for records when getting warranty work done, including an engine replaced under warranty, and a car that was repainted under warranty.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #36
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My Subaru BRZ has seen a Subaru dealership once for it's first service. Not much needed to be done, basically just oil and filters. It took very long and I had a feeling they overcharged me. That was the last time it went to a dealer.
My Toyota Tacoma has seen the Toyota dealership once for it's first service. Not much needed to be done, basically just oil and filters. It took very long and I had a feeling they overcharged me. That was the last time it went to a dealer.

I have a good relationship with an independent garage. They are not the cheapest but go the extra mile to do a good job. I have been bringing all my vehicles there. Needless to say the BRZ and Taco both are in service there.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #37
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
the cars are really the same, some of the springs/struts are slightly different, but none significantly different, some come with forged PP wheels, some with brembos, some better tires, some with sport exhausts. but other than that, its really a toss up for brand identity, which company you want to represent in this materialistic society.

to give a definitive answer to the initial question, the service departments in my eyes are the same, and would not be a factor to influence my decision.

and i cant believe im being ostracized for changing my own oil
Nobody has said anything bad about you changing your own oil. Certainly no ostracizing going on. Not even a little bit. I don't even see how you could read that into what was said.
Every time the subject of service and oil changes comes up there is usually a strong majority that say everybody should change their own oil since it is so easy and cheap. I always point out that it is simply not a viable nor desired option for many people and several reasons. Most certainly NOT saying it is a bad thing in any way shape or form simply that it is not for everybody. I could probably fill a tanker (well a small one) with the oil I have changed over the decades but have now reached a point in my life where it is no longer worth my while to do it to save $50.
alone1i (12-06-2020), Dadhawk (12-04-2020), HaXx (12-04-2020), StE92ve (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #38
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
My Subaru BRZ has seen a Subaru dealership once for it's first service. Not much needed to be done, basically just oil and filters. It took very long and I had a feeling they overcharged me. That was the last time it went to a dealer.
My Toyota Tacoma has seen the Toyota dealership once for it's first service. Not much needed to be done, basically just oil and filters. It took very long and I had a feeling they overcharged me. That was the last time it went to a dealer.

I have a good relationship with an independent garage. They are not the cheapest but go the extra mile to do a good job. I have been bringing all my vehicles there. Needless to say the BRZ and Taco both are in service there.
I don't take my car for service to the huge dealer I bought it from. They are very good and I have no complaints but they do a massive volume of work so getting an appointment can be hard, there are 20 techs so you never know who will be doing the job and you sort of blend in with the crowd.
I take it to the small dealer in the town I work in. Their prices are on par with the local independent shops, their techs have been there for decades not months, they remember me and the car and one of the staff owns a BRZ (it is a a Toyota dealer) so they are up on the latest issues. All in all it is just like going to a small independent shop that happens to have a Toyota sign out front.
alone1i (12-06-2020), Dadhawk (12-04-2020), Guru Woodman (12-05-2020), soundman98 (12-05-2020), StE92ve (12-04-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:23 AM   #39
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoc86 View Post
I can only speak about Australia, but no, here you do not. What you do need to do, to preserve your warranty, is have each log book service carried out to spec and on time by a qualified mechanic. That could be any service centre, or even an independent mechanic. I don't think doing it yourself counts (but I'd need to look that up to confirm).
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #40
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,249 Times in 602 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StE92ve View Post
No obstacles, time frame allows me to wait until Gen2 hits the showrooms. Liked what I experienced when I test drove the 2020, so excited to see the 2022 in the flesh before placing order.
You sound as horribly cautious as me. I loved the FRS when it came out but waited til 2017 to join groups on FB and really start paying attention to it. As soon as a second gen was announced, I jumped on the 2020. The last year of a car will have less aftermarket goodies but will be as worked out as can possibly be in terms of issues.

If you get a 2022, welcome to a new model that'll have all new issues. Will they most likely be covered under warranty? Sure. Were the 2013 FRS valve trains covered under warranty? LOL. I've had two xxxx.5 first model year cars and one was great (95.5 isuzu rodeo) and one was a wretched piece of trash (00.5 VW Jetta).

Good luck in your decision as I don't expect you'll be disappointed driving either car. I love this 2020 and would love the new 2022 but I'll probably keep this thing until it literally falls apart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wally86 For This Useful Post:
alone1i (12-08-2020), Red-86 (12-08-2020), StE92ve (12-08-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #41
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
If I understand your question, no, at least not in the US. Regular maintenance can be done by anyone as long as you have the documentation to prove it if asked, and in theory the warranty work has to be directly caused by a lack of preventative maintenance.

Also, warranties technically are only voided if you have a salvage car. A warranty claim and be denied but that does not mean the warranty is voided on the car as a whole.

Honestly though, I've never been asked for records when getting warranty work done, including an engine replaced under warranty, and a car that was repainted under warranty.

I think the only exceptions to this rule would be Hyundai/KIA’s 10 yr warranty, or VW’s 10 yr warranty (I know they stopped offering that). Both of those companies are notorious for being adamant that all maintenance be done by them, or it could void your warranty. Basically they are looking for any excuse not to cover things under warranty.
Toyota and Subaru have never given me any hassle at all over warranty work. In fact I’ve had some things covered under warranty even after the bumper to bumper warranty was over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #42
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
I think the only exceptions to this rule would be Hyundai/KIA’s 10 yr warranty, or VW’s 10 yr warranty (I know they stopped offering that). Both of those companies are notorious for being adamant that all maintenance be done by them, or it could void your warranty.
Technically, that is illegal in the US but the bottom line is you have to have meticulous records and be willing to fight them if they deny you. The FTC guidelines on it are here and are pretty clear.

With maintenance intervals being longer on modern cars, and warranties being typically under 5 years, it isn't really a problem. In fact I've had warranty work done on cars I bought used and had zero records for. Most reputable dealers aren't going to fight warranty work since it is money for them. I suppose something where they feel the work is more hours than they can justify might be different.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
JesseG (01-05-2021), StE92ve (12-16-2020)