follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #1569
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I did speak to the dealer that fucked mine up a second time and they said they'd be happy to tear it down and see what went wrong but I would need to pay the $1600 teardown fee before they started. They also said that I should expect to be buying a new engine because it is so far outside the 12 month period now even though when I first called it was only 13 months back in August. Just getting the car to them would cost nearly $200 so I'd be on the hook for $1800 and they're backed up until February so it has to sit in my driveway for another 4 months. I'm going to end up throwing the damn thing out for scrap value soon because nobody seems to want it and that really sux, I can't keep it in the driveway much longer because I don't want to keep paying for insurance and it's time to reregister it anyway. Can't take the plates off, which means I can't take the insurance off, because my town doesn't allow unregistered vehicles to be stored on residential properties and the only place I have to keep it is the front of the yard along the street where it's really obvious it's not registered and the snowplows will eventually clip it anyway.

Fuck Subaru and their shitty service.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #1570
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That doesn't look bad. Were the o-rings on the timing cover in place? Not distorted? If not properly seated on assembly, they pop out under pressure.
I didnt get pic of the timing cover. Just got these pics. Not giving me much info or being very direct in terms of cause.
Attached Images

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-24-2020), Ultramaroon (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #1571
Ezmarii

Drives: 2013 brz used
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just wanted to update on this. After the repaur work was done the noise came back, identical. They replaced the same hardware and presumably more but I didnt know what to ask and they didnt full parts list the paperwork since it was all done on their dime. Now have 7k miles on the car somce and no issues. They say it was likely metal burrs on the back of the newer flywheel or something. Enjoyed the dealerships ownership of the issue and no problems since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
Stay on top of this. Mine had the same exact symptoms post recall servicing and I complained about it. They kept telling me it's a normal boxer tick. But in the 8 years driving this car, I have never heard that noise before. After back and fourth for about 3 months. 4000 miles later. My motor is now blown again for the second time since the recall. First time being about 500-700 miles after the service.
Ezmarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #1572
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I did speak to the dealer that fucked mine up a second time and they said they'd be happy to tear it down and see what went wrong but I would need to pay the $1600 teardown fee before they started. They also said that I should expect to be buying a new engine because it is so far outside the 12 month period now even though when I first called it was only 13 months back in August. Just getting the car to them would cost nearly $200 so I'd be on the hook for $1800 and they're backed up until February so it has to sit in my driveway for another 4 months. I'm going to end up throwing the damn thing out for scrap value soon because nobody seems to want it and that really sux, I can't keep it in the driveway much longer because I don't want to keep paying for insurance and it's time to reregister it anyway. Can't take the plates off, which means I can't take the insurance off, because my town doesn't allow unregistered vehicles to be stored on residential properties and the only place I have to keep it is the front of the yard along the street where it's really obvious it's not registered and the snowplows will eventually clip it anyway.

There has to be interest in buying your car? Even for someone wanting to build a track car?
Could you let the registration expire, store it in the garage, and do an engine swap later? It seems like such a shame to let the car go to a salvage yard.

For anyone that has had the valve spring recall done more recently, did you stress the point of the tech being careful with the sealant application? It sounds like Toyota and Subaru are well aware of the issue now. At the very least the service advisor could emphasize that the old sealant needs to be cleaned very carefully, and the new sealant applied exactly how Subaru requires.

It just really sucks to hear about failed engines at this point in the recall process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:40 AM   #1573
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:

I feel your pain. I'm sorry you are going through this nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (10-27-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #1574
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
There has to be interest in buying your car? Even for someone wanting to build a track car?
Could you let the registration expire, store it in the garage, and do an engine swap later? It seems like such a shame to let the car go to a salvage yard.

For anyone that has had the valve spring recall done more recently, did you stress the point of the tech being careful with the sealant application? It sounds like Toyota and Subaru are well aware of the issue now. At the very least the service advisor could emphasize that the old sealant needs to be cleaned very carefully, and the new sealant applied exactly how Subaru requires.
There was some interest right after it happened but that tailed off pretty quickly as more and more cars started coming available cheap with blown motors. I wish I had a garage

I also spoke with the tech before the work was done and a few times after when problems started cropping up. The dealer even had the car back in the shop twice to "correct" the problem. Both times they dropped the oil pan and cleaned debris out of the pickup but refused to dig any deeper because "that's all that's necessary". The old warranty manager even promised me that they would extend the coverage to 18 months and 18k miles with 300 mile towing coverage if it failed. Well, he got fired for providing good customer service and they refused to honor what he said because he never documented anything he said. I tried to talk to the dealership manager the other day but he wouldn't come downstairs to discuss this with me because, in their words, "there is nothing to discuss"! I posted a few pages back that SOA told me that since the car is beyond their expected service life at 138k they have no interest in helping me to solve the problem.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #1575
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
There was some interest right after it happened but that tailed off pretty quickly as more and more cars started coming available cheap with blown motors. I wish I had a garage

I also spoke with the tech before the work was done and a few times after when problems started cropping up. The dealer even had the car back in the shop twice to "correct" the problem. Both times they dropped the oil pan and cleaned debris out of the pickup but refused to dig any deeper because "that's all that's necessary". The old warranty manager even promised me that they would extend the coverage to 18 months and 18k miles with 300 mile towing coverage if it failed. Well, he got fired for providing good customer service and they refused to honor what he said because he never documented anything he said. I tried to talk to the dealership manager the other day but he wouldn't come downstairs to discuss this with me because, in their words, "there is nothing to discuss"! I posted a few pages back that SOA told me that since the car is beyond their expected service life at 138k they have no interest in helping me to solve the problem.
so sorry to hear of your experience. This is common. After mine went the dealership Irvine Toyota that did the recall work wouldnt return emails or calls.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (10-24-2020), JesseG (10-25-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #1576
gravitylover

Strangely enough today when I sold my rustbucket Durango the guy that bought it told me about a JDM importer place in NJ that has FA20 motors in stock for a surprisingly good price. If so I might grab one and get the car going again then unload it. It would be worth so much more running that it would make it worth the effort. Now I need to get rid of an 06 Outback that's been sitting in the driveway for 2 years, anyone need an '06 5 speed OB for cheap that needs a little TLC?
Old 10-25-2020, 03:32 AM   #1577
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Strangely enough today when I sold my rustbucket Durango the guy that bought it told me about a JDM importer place in NJ that has FA20 motors in stock for a surprisingly good price. If so I might grab one and get the car going again then unload it. It would be worth so much more running that it would make it worth the effort. Now I need to get rid of an 06 Outback that's been sitting in the driveway for 2 years, anyone need an '06 5 speed OB for cheap that needs a little TLC?
What's the name of the place and do they ship? lol

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #1578
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
What's the name of the place and do they ship? lol
I'm waiting for the info. I'll post it as soon as I have it. Actually I'll probably wait until I contact them to see what's what.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #1579
gravitylover

@finch1750

The info I got earlier this morning was wrong. Here's the info for the JDM importer in NJ https://www.jdmenginedepotinc.com/

edit: Here's another one but the guy on the phone doesn't quite get it so you have to know what you need https://jdmnewyork.com/ He was trying to tell me that the 2.0 Turbo FA20 he has (with a cracked timing cover) will be a plug and play.

Last edited by gravitylover; 10-27-2020 at 06:01 PM.
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #1580
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasting View Post
I thought the issue was two possibilities. It could also break off in the head and clog the return oil passages leading back down to the oil pan/sump, starving the crank.

Just because the sump isn't clogged doesn't mean the silicone at the valve cover gasket isn't blocking other areas. Right?
This is what get's missed by so many! The pickup will show you the material that made it to the sump. Depending on where the sealant was introduced to the system there could be clogged channels well before anything ever made it back to the pan. It just takes one small channel in the wrong place to be even partially blocked to reduce flow to catastrophic levels.
alxtheoreo (10-27-2020), Ganthrithor (12-23-2020), gravitylover (10-27-2020), TommyW (10-27-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #1581
pasternak

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Had the recall work done over the summer. Have driven the car infrequently and gently since. Just got my first CEL :/ P00B.
pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #1582
gravitylover

How big is this motor? Would it fit inside a typical full sized SUV? I think I found one finally and need to go get it.

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue