follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 10-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #73235
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
First I heard of it was about 15 years ago.

But all that story really does is make me reminisce about the days of my brother and I riding our bikes to the neighborhood Blockbuster and trying to find movies and video games to rent.

There's no real experience like it anymore.
Now that reminds me of back-in-the-day when I would ride my bike to town (about 4 miles) to mow my aunts yard (big yard, about a half days work).

After I finished she would let me come into her house, sit in front of the fan and watch TV. Yes, they were well off and had a TV. We didn't have a TV on the farm. One day she came into their living room where the TV was and ask me why I kept watching the news. I said because that's what was on. She showed me that there was TWO other channels. OH MY! - what an experience.

Then I would ride my bike home, do the chores and lay in front of the radio and listen to whatever my parents wanted to listen to. When the mystery radio programs came on, we would make up the pictures in our minds.

Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86MLR (10-23-2020), p1l0t (10-22-2020), soundman98 (10-22-2020), Ultramaroon (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #73236
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
No, I am technically do not have a management position and don't treat anyone as if they are under me.

The issue between him and me is his son was fired last year. He thinks I am one of the ones that pushed for it. I had no decision in the matter but he thinks his son was fired to put me in his position.
hmmmm....... seems to me you have a few courses of action available to you.

* do nothing, just put up with it.

* try to get him fired

* quit your job

* have a talk with him and try to get an understanding

* the Bubba solution: Take him out back of the shop and do some "gravel scrapping".

The Bubba solution reminds me of a back-in-my-college days story. While going to school, I was working at the university agricultural research station. In amongst the crew of about 15 students there were two older fellows from India. The were always fighting because where they came from, they were two "casts" apart.

One hot summer day, the farm manager just had it with the two and sent both of them, equipped with corn knives (like machetes), back to a corn plot at the back of the farm to chop down and weigh corn plots.

I was next in line for an assignment and saw what he had done. I mentioned to him that wouldn't that be dangerous sending them back there together with big knives. He spit out some tobacco and said "I'm fed up with those two and their "cast system", whatever that is, differences and fights, so I don't give a shit IF only ONE of them comes back alive"!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-22-2020), p1l0t (10-22-2020), soundman98 (10-22-2020), spike021 (10-25-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #73237
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

* try to get him fired

* quit your job

* the Bubba solution: Take him out back of the shop and do some "gravel scrapping".

The Bubba solution reminds me of a back-in-my-college days story. While going to school, I was working at the university agricultural research station. In amongst the crew of about 15 students there were two older fellows from India. The were always fighting because where they came from, they were two "casts" apart.

One hot summer day, the farm manager just had it with the two and sent both of them, equipped with corn knives (like machetes), back to a corn plot at the back of the farm to chop down and weigh corn plots.

I was next in line for an assignment and saw what he had done. I mentioned to him that wouldn't that be dangerous sending them back there together with big knives. He spit out some tobacco and said "I'm fed up with those two and their "cast system", whatever that is, differences and fights, so I don't give a shit IF only ONE of them comes back alive"!

I have spoken with him a couple times. There is no reasoning with him. Everyone is out to get him, the company doesn't take care of him, ect ect ect.... He is too vested to fire and they won't anyway and he will never quit.

I'm looking at possibly getting out anyway since being shutdown due to covid has wreaked us. I don't see it recovering in the next year or two.
humfrz (10-22-2020), p1l0t (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #73238
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
That's what happened with us. We would have a DVD for weeks, then send it back sometimes without watching it.
This wasn't recent, but the longest I recall we kept a single DVD was Ben Hur (the original). It had a run time of just short of 4 hours, and we could never bring ourselves to just sit down and watch it. If I recall correctly we had it for 6 months before we watched and returned it. Now, the other 3 DVDs on our subscription churned over multiple times, usually at a rate of at least once a week, but in the end that was an expensive rental. No telling how many copies I could have bought with that one.

Where we really saved money though was with GameFly (for those that don't know it's basically Netflix for games). With three sons each 4 years apart in age and with different tastes, that was a constant churn of $40 to $60 games at a steep discount. During the 5 years we had that subscription, had we bought every game they played we would have probably spent well into 5 figures. It wasn't that they played constantly either, it was just with the thought of a "new game coming" they churned through them when they did have screen time.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-22-2020), Sapphireho (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #73239
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,181 Times in 3,470 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I am technically do not have a management position and don't treat anyone as if they are under me.

The issue between him and me is his son was fired last year. He thinks I am one of the ones that pushed for it. I had no decision in the matter but he thinks his son was fired to put me in his position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

* try to get him fired

* quit your job

Quote:
I have spoken with him a couple times. There is no reasoning with him. Everyone is out to get him, the company doesn't take care of him, ect ect ect.... He is too vested to fire and they won't anyway and he will never quit.

I'm looking at possibly getting out anyway since being shutdown due to covid has wreaked us. I don't see it recovering in the next year or two.

I was going to say that you ignore him, do your job and deal with him on a professional basis ie discuss work stuff only. Remember, you can't choose your family or your workmates, so you have to just go with the flow.. However, if it gets too much then seek out another job, you should not be carrying his baggage..
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:54 PM   #73240
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I was going to say that you ignore him, do your job and deal with him on a professional basis ie discuss work stuff only. Remember, you can't choose your family or your workmates, so you have to just go with the flow.. However, if it gets too much then seek out another job, you should not be carrying his baggage..
That is typically how I deal with him. He works in production, I'm service and R&D. I can go weeks without seeing him. He goes out of his way to mess with stuff for no reason and I usually just shake my head and get on with things. Not just to me either. It's not uncommon for me to be working on a project in an area of production that is not being used, go upstairs to take a phone call or meeting for a couple hours, and come back down stairs to find my project not only moved, but purposefully buried somewhere because it was "in the way." I'll ask why and typically don't get any kind of an answer.
humfrz (10-22-2020), JD001 (10-22-2020), p1l0t (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #73241
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm not trying to be political but is this like for real? That's crazy if it is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 10:55 PM   #73242
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I'm not trying to be political but is this like for real? That's crazy if it is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Do I need to go watch some things now? I figured it would be a bit pointless after the prequel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (10-22-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 01:41 AM   #73243
humfrz

Well, I just finished watching a special hour and a half TV program tonight.

WOW! Just WOW!

Sometimes I feel like just disappearing for a while. Which brings to mind a back-in-the- day story.

It was in the late 60s when I was to arrange for a fishing trip for a few west coast university researchers as a reward for doing research on our experimental pesticides. Oh yes, it was a pesticide technical conference also -

Me and my co-worker flew down to Cabo San Lucas on a Friday, in our west coast corporate jet, to make the final arrangements. This wasn't hard because there was only one hotel in Cabo at the time (the Hacienda) (seen in the attached picture).

As my gringo buddy (who spoke fluent Spanish, but didn't let on that he did) (which came in real handy on several occasions) was making arrangements, I decided to take a walk on the beach (see the red line in the next (recent) picture) which was about 2 miles long. On the whole walk down the beach, I saw only one other person. He was camped out on the beach grass under a lean-to type tent.

I stopped to chat for a while and he offered be a drink of water, which I declined for obvious reasons (Mexico in the 60s). He was a well spoken, young man in his 30s and was an American. I asked him what he was doing down there and he said he lived down there about 6 months out of the year and that he actually had a room in a house in the village.

Now, keep in mind, there were no cell phones and to place a call on a land line one had to go to what they called the "radio shack" and the operator would patch you into a land line in La Paz. Obviously, no English written newspapers, no TV, no internet and no English speaking radio stations.

I asked him if it bothered him about being out of contact with the world for months on end. He said, no, his family knew how to contact him in an emergency and anything else the directly effected him, he would be personally aware of.

At the time, I thought, HOW could a person live like that!

Some days, these days, I feel like unplugging all the communication devices in our household and just being concerned with just immediately effects me and my family.

But, I can't go back, in the last picture, see what Cabo looks like today.

Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-24-2020), NoHaveMSG (10-23-2020), soundman98 (10-23-2020), Spuds (10-23-2020), Ultramaroon (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #73244
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (10-24-2020), humfrz (10-23-2020), Kiske (10-25-2020), NoHaveMSG (10-23-2020), Spuds (10-23-2020), Ultramaroon (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #73245
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,935 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
Nyooom...
Any person on this forum that has not sat in a car and made this noise at least once in the their life should just delete their account and leave now....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-23-2020), p1l0t (10-23-2020), ScoobsMcGee (10-23-2020), soundman98 (10-23-2020), Spuds (10-23-2020), Ultramaroon (10-23-2020), x808drifter (10-25-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #73246
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Any person on this forum that has not sat in a car and made this noise at least once in the their life should just delete their account and leave now....
I have absolutely done that. This week.

Sort of related, but does it annoy anyone else when someone asks to sit in your car, you let them, and they immediately grab the shifter and start aggressively slamming gears while parked?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-23-2020), Spuds (10-23-2020), Ultramaroon (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #73247
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Had a dream my phone started smoking and then caught on fire. No more melatonin for a while....

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-23-2020), soundman98 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #73248
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Had a dream my phone started smoking and then caught on fire. No more melatonin for a while....
Mine was just about going to the gym. Probably because I haven't gone this week

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis