follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #15
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Meguiars pretty much always puts out good stuff. I personally avoid wash and wax formulas now. My belief is that a good soap with no residues or waxes should do the cleaning, then apply your protection as a dry aid/post dry.
That said it if works for you then use It, I am OCD about my paint and my system has worked for the past 3 years/75,000km .

I used meguiars gold class then started experimenting with the "pro" or less consumer known brands.

I go back and forth between optimum car wash, Adams car shampoo and carpro reset. Reset is the most expensive stuff but works amazingly well if you have a good ceramic sealant or coating already on the car.

The other two are solid soaps I use on and off. Optimum soap is cheapest of the three so I rent to keep a 32oz on hand and use that exclusively in my wheel bucket.
RToyo86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (05-14-2021), Wally86 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 07:10 AM   #16
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
You guys might look at the reviews of 303 graphene compared to waxes and ceramic coatings. Not the $1000 but the self applied.

Of course, this is just another alternative being that it was so cheap, for a huge bottle, that yielded great results. I'll probably buy that product and do another review.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:17 AM   #17
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Meguiars pretty much always puts out good stuff. I personally avoid wash and wax formulas now. My belief is that a good soap with no residues or waxes should do the cleaning, then apply your protection as a dry aid/post dry.
That said it if works for you then use It, I am OCD about my paint and my system has worked for the past 3 years/75,000km .

I used meguiars gold class then started experimenting with the "pro" or less consumer known brands.

I go back and forth between optimum car wash, Adams car shampoo and carpro reset. Reset is the most expensive stuff but works amazingly well if you have a good ceramic sealant or coating already on the car.

The other two are solid soaps I use on and off. Optimum soap is cheapest of the three so I rent to keep a 32oz on hand and use that exclusively in my wheel bucket.

I was a bit skeptic at first too, but it was $15 so it was a win/win situation. I normally do the same as you, I normally use gold wash as it foams incredibly well ( I just like lots of foam) and it gives me a clean car to work on for sealant/wax. But I was impressed on how well this product made the car look even after the first rinse. Not to the mention the second rinse. I need to post an update and see how it hold against the summer weather with all the pollen and rains we get locally.
RToyo86 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #18
RToyo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I was a bit skeptic at first too, but it was $15 so it was a win/win situation. I normally do the same as you, I normally use gold wash as it foams incredibly well ( I just like lots of foam) and it gives me a clean car to work on for sealant/wax. But I was impressed on how well this product made the car look even after the first rinse. Not to the mention the second rinse. I need to post an update and see how it hold against the summer weather with all the pollen and rains we get locally.
If it works with your routine that's all that matters.
There is enough stuff out there that you can pretty much build your own routine and it'll more or less end up with similar results. Given you applied the ceramic paste wax with a buffer that is now your primary protection which will probably last a couple months on its own. The wash and wax can be a decent booster layer. I know megs sells a ceramic wash and wax. It probably has similar mixture as the paste wax, but who knows if there's any noticeable difference between the Costco variant and the ceramic one. Should be a good combination for you with good results.

I don't like mixing wash and wax with my routine as it messes with the hydrophobics of my ceramic coating and topper. You can really notice if a soap has residue or waxes in it as the paint doesn't sheet water as well after it has been cleaned.

If you like suds using optimum no rinse would throw you for an absolute loop. The first time I used it.. felt so wrong. After that I started to view suds differently as I was convinced I'd scratch my paint but it just works.
Now I try to pay attention to the lubricity of the soap in the bucket, though I do like my suds.

Asphalt is a PITA to maintain. It's lovely when it's clean but like black paint it shows swirls easily.

Up close it pops
Old 05-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #19
spcmafia

Quote:

Asphalt is a PITA to maintain. It's lovely when it's clean but like black paint it shows swirls easily.

Up close it pops

My last car was black so I feel your pain, silver does a good job at hiding pollen, salt, and overall dirt. No matter that I did with my last car, the shine would never last more than a day.
RToyo86 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #20
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
For any of these products, preparation is key for lone life. I had to use a strong stripper before application to have it last. I had been using Nu finish, and getting it off was a problem. (I still use Nu finish on the trucks that sit out side all year. But may try the 303 on one next time.)
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #21
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
For any of these products, preparation is key for lone life. I had to use a strong stripper before application to have it last. I had been using Nu finish, and getting it off was a problem. (I still use Nu finish on the trucks that sit out side all year. But may try the 303 on one next time.)
I went wash/dry/clay/303

I just wiped down after clay but I guess I could try IPAing instead.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #22
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
There are several good chemical strippers made by Mothers and others. The old waxes need to be removed. Polishing or paint correction is not needed, and could still leave wax residue.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #23
RToyo86

Carpro iron-x works really well but does it ever stink. Not sure why they bother advertising scents when they all smell awful
I've got a bottle of carpro eraser which is a good out of the box paint prep. IPA mix is probably the way to go as a more cost effect alternative.

I have been meaning to try optimum ferrex but haven't got around to picking up a bottle. You can use Optimums clay towel in conjunction with ferrex which also acts as a clay lube. I watched a friend do it who's a opti-coat installer and it saves a bunch of time during the decontamination step as you combine chemical and physical decontamination together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
ls1ac (05-14-2021), Wally86 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #24
RToyo86

Has anyone heard of meguiars wash plus?
It was a gem of a soap they released 3-4 years ago and nobody bought it so they discontinued it. It was the sort of a stripper soap that had small abrasives in it. You directly apply the soap to a wash mitt and wash the paint vs Using a bucket.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I wonder how it is compared to the Ultimate Wash & Wax. I've always been a fan of the Gold Class and just recently picked up a jug of the Ultimate.

I liked the Ultimate spray wax/detailers as well and have recently switched to the Hybrid Ceramic series.
All of these meguiars products are great. Easy to find, cheap and go on sale often. Hard to tell the difference in beading and color depth vs say Colonite or other traditional carnuba waxes and a fraction of the effort.
I have tried many detail sprays and found that the Ultimate Quick Detailer was the only thing that works at all with my ceramic coating. Everything else just sort of sat on top and didn't clean.
For washing the only thing I will use is the Gold Class shampoo since I don't want/need a wax while cleaning.
My car is easy but a product that will bring this result to the wife's poor neglected black beast will work on anything!
Attached Images

RayRay88 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #26
RToyo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have tried many detail sprays and found that the Ultimate Quick Detailer was the only thing that works at all with my ceramic coating. Everything else just sort of sat on top and didn't clean.
For washing the only thing I will use is the Gold Class shampoo since I don't want/need a wax while cleaning.
My car is easy but a product that will bring this result to the wife's poor neglected black beast will work on anything!
Crappy tire started carrying Adams products recently. You can get their car shampoo. I notived it was on sale this week.

Fiance and I had one of those for 2 weeks on loan. They drive decently but the top trim infotainment drove us nuts.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Crappy tire started carrying Adams products recently. You can get their car shampoo. I notived it was on sale this week.

Fiance and I had one of those for 2 weeks on loan. They drive decently but the top trim infotainment drove us nuts.
They did a bunch of updates on the HU and now it is fine. There were some bizarre things for a while though.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #28
RToyo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They did a bunch of updates on the HU and now it is fine. There were some bizarre things for a while though.
Does yours have the integrated Hvac controls built into the screen?