follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List
Crosscharge, go_a_way1, MisterSheep, poudre

Old 05-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #19083
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Because of the pandemic, I haven't driven my BRZ very much in the past year (the timing couldn't have been worse, I bought it November 2019).

So, hankering to break the self-imposed house arrest just a little, thanks to vaccinations we decided to take a little trip. Yesterday we drove the BRZ. 7 hours, for a little getaway on the Canadian border (since the Canucks won't let us in).

The first hour was exhilarating. Even just on the highway, it reminded me all over again why I bought and love this car. The second hour was almost as much pure fun.

After the third hour, it started to get a little... tiring. After 7 hours, the noise and jittery ride were a little... much (at least for this 60-something aging body).

I guess sometimes, there can be too much of a good thing. I think future drives will be limited to no more than 3 hours a day. The car is an absolute blast to drive. But it's not the best choice as a highway cruiser for long days.

How about anyone else? What's the longest ride you've taken your car on? And what's the longest ride for which it was honestly enjoyable?
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (05-11-2021), soundman98 (05-11-2021), spike021 (05-12-2021), The Red One (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #19084
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post

How about anyone else? What's the longest ride you've taken your car on? And what's the longest ride for which it was honestly enjoyable?
I love long road trips. I did 9ish hours from Salem, OR to Willows, CA to drive at Thunderhill.

I also used to drive from Salem to a place a little east of Sacramento for practice about every 4-6 weeks. About 9ish hours each way too.
AnalogMan (05-11-2021), Dadhawk (05-11-2021), spike021 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #19085
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

If the rides were not enjoyable it would get sold real quick!

Bought if in late April 2019 for my 64 th birthday and as a retirement present for myself… put 38k KM on it the first 7 months.
Did my first cross country trip and tried desperately to get lost on the way back.

Last year had knee issues come out of nowhere and could not walk but I still put another 10 Km on it when I could get to it.

Most happy just going nowhere these days and if it takes all day then my day is complete.
It usually takes me an hour to get to some hills that hide the real twisties so I pack a lunch and do a stop to regen.

Just can’t get enough…
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (05-11-2021), Capt Spaulding (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #19086
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've taken numerous day trips (3 to 6 a year) of between 500 and 800 miles round trip with zero issues and 100% enjoyment.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (05-11-2021), Capt Spaulding (05-11-2021), NoHaveMSG (05-11-2021), soundman98 (05-11-2021), spike021 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #19087
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Because of the pandemic, I haven't driven my BRZ very much in the past year (the timing couldn't have been worse, I bought it November 2019).

So, hankering to break the self-imposed house arrest just a little, thanks to vaccinations we decided to take a little trip. Yesterday we drove the BRZ. 7 hours, for a little getaway on the Canadian border (since the Canucks won't let us in).

The first hour was exhilarating. Even just on the highway, it reminded me all over again why I bought and love this car. The second hour was almost as much pure fun.

After the third hour, it started to get a little... tiring. After 7 hours, the noise and jittery ride were a little... much (at least for this 60-something aging body).

I guess sometimes, there can be too much of a good thing. I think future drives will be limited to no more than 3 hours a day. The car is an absolute blast to drive. But it's not the best choice as a highway cruiser for long days.

Several years ago my wife and I drove ours from very deep South Texas to Arlington, VA - roughly 1800 miles> The plan was to limit mileage to 500 miles a day and with one exception we kept to that. It was a wonderful experience. As far as ride quality goes, I think it's a little less harsh than my wife's Camry SE V6. Sharp edged bumps don't have the "shot to the kidneys" feel that the Camry does.

We stuck to the ' blue highways" whenever possible, went up through central Louisiana into northern MS and Alabama. We took a couple of runs up and down the Dragon and, a little carsickness aside, had a great time. At the time I was 64, I think. My wife a couple of years younger.

The only downside we noticed was road noise. That can wear you down over a longish day, but we stopped every 100 to 200 miles to sightsee or leg stretch and that kept noise fatigue from becoming too much of a problem.

Since then, I've added a substantial amount of sound damping to the rear half of the car and a few 100 - 200 mile hops suggest it's made a difference, If the pandemic allows, we're going to take it up to Seattle, if not this summer, then next. Before that, I'll probably swap the stock struts for Bilstein B6s. They're rumored to take a bit more of the edge off bumps.
AnalogMan (05-11-2021), soundman98 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #19088
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
Since then, I've added a substantial amount of sound damping to the rear half of the car and a few 100 - 200 mile hops suggest it's made a difference, If the pandemic allows, we're going to take it up to Seattle, if not this summer, then next. Before that, I'll probably swap the stock struts for Bilstein B6s. They're rumored to take a bit more of the edge off bumps.
How did you add sound dampening? I appreciate that this car isn't meant as a plush highway cruiser and I don't want to turn it into one. But a little less road noise at 70+ mph would go a long way.

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #19089
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

There's a "how-to" in the DIY section that I used as an inspiration. Basically, I used about 15-20 sq ft. of adhesive butyl sound deadening mat rolled onto the floor of the trunk spare time well, wheel arches, and the inside of the trunk lid. I used a product called Noico. There are a number of other Dynamat clones as well as the original on Amazon. Over that I used a layer of mass loaded vinyl and close cell foam under the trim panels on the sides of the trunk and under the carpet mat covering the trunk floor. It's all easy to find on Amazon.

edit: The guy who did the DIY pulled most of the interior apart along with the doors and insulated all of it. He may have even done the roof. It's always seemed to me most of the noise is coming from the rear wheels, suspension and differential so I focused on that. I'm pretty happy with it. I still have a fair amount of the Noico mat. One of these days I may pull out the rear seats and bring the deadening material up to the rear of the doors.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 05-11-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (05-12-2021), Tcoat (05-12-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 10:37 PM   #19090
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
i'm at 50k miles for a car i only drive occasionally on the weekends. in a similar time span, i put about 20k mi on my daily driver...

200-400 miles is no big deal with this car. 1200 starts to get a little tiring
Old 05-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #19091
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
I drove mine a 3rd of the way up the east coast of Australia. I took 2 days and it was an effort.
BrahmaBull1990 (05-12-2021), soundman98 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #19092
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spaulding View Post
There's a "how-to" in the DIY section that I used as an inspiration. Basically, I used about 15-20 sq ft. of adhesive butyl sound deadening mat rolled onto the floor of the trunk spare time well, wheel arches, and the inside of the trunk lid. I used a product called Noico. There are a number of other Dynamat clones as well as the original on Amazon. Over that I used a layer of mass loaded vinyl and close cell foam under the trim panels on the sides of the trunk and under the carpet mat covering the trunk floor. It's all easy to find on Amazon.
Thank you! The process you described sounds like it should have a noticeable improvement in noise levels. But all the layers also seem like it could meaningfully reduce trunk space!
Old 05-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #19093
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

For the first 4 years with the FRS (on lowering springs and TRD exhaust) I spent between 15 and 20 hours a week on the highway. Now I am down to about 6 or 7 with the 86.
Not once was I ever bothered by noise, jarring, seat comfort, etc.
I will add the disclaimer though that for many years I drove very loud military vehicles, straight piped big block V8s, old (50s) cars with all steel interiors or rotted out shit boxes with soup can holding the exhaust together or worn out and outright broken suspensions so the FRS and 86 are like whisper quite, riding on a cloud luxury machines in comparison.
Anybody that thinks these things are noisy or bouncy inside never spent to in a jacked up 67 Dart!
AnalogMan (05-12-2021), Capt Spaulding (05-12-2021), Dadhawk (05-12-2021), DriveDriftDogfight86 (05-17-2021), JD001 (05-16-2021), soundman98 (05-12-2021), ToySub1946 (05-13-2021), Willpower (05-28-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 10:47 AM   #19094
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Quote:
Thank you! The process you described sounds like it should have a noticeable improvement in noise levels. But all the layers also seem like it could meaningfully reduce trunk space!
I know, right? But the beauty of it is the materials are very thin and overwhelming majority of the volume they take up is in the voids behind the existing trim panels. I used an adhesive backed close cell foam product and attached it to the mass loaded vinyl. The resulting composite is 1/4 inch thick. It fits pretty easily behind the trim. The only measurable loss of trunk volume is the 1/4 inch MLV/CCF panel under the trunk carpet. The 1/4 inch, while measurable is, to me not noticeable.

It does add a bit of weight. I'd guess about 20 pounds in my case. I'm easily 30 pounds over weight - so maybe I'll use this as a reason to lose some weight. Or not.

edit: I didn't want to plug specific products so I didn't put any links (other than the name of the butyl mat) in the post. I you like, I'll be happy to give you those in a PM.

Last edited by Capt Spaulding; 05-12-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Capt Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Spaulding For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #19095
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not once was I ever bothered by noise, jarring, seat comfort, etc.
I will add the disclaimer though that for many years I drove very loud military vehicles, straight piped big block V8s, old (50s) cars with all steel interiors or rotted out shit boxes with soup can holding the exhaust together or worn out and outright broken suspensions so the FRS and 86 are like whisper quite, riding on a cloud luxury machines in comparison.
Anybody that thinks these things are noisy or bouncy inside never spent to in a jacked up 67 Dart!
Yea, the FRS is the quietest car I've ever daily driven.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-12-2021), Tcoat (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #19096
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Can anyone compare the loudness to a subcompact like a Yaris or compact like a Corolla?

The last time i test drove one of these i think iI was going 80-100km or something around there, and i didnt find it all that much louder than my other car (Honda fit?) at the time. When i get a chance i'll test drive the 2020 86 GT nearby and see for myself.

I never understood the sound complaints, interior quality complaints or the power complaints. IT was all on par with a compact car to me....
does that mean my expectations were too low, just right for this particular car, or i should have expected more because RACECAR!!!?
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
+20 hp, :popcorn:, bragging because we can, brz driving master race, brz whore, damn daniel, dirty frs peasants, fart can, how to waste energy, how to waste money, how to waste time, i like turtles, lazy mods, many tagz, omg pages are fixed…, outlawstar98isanoob, pages are fucked up, pages still fucked, ricers, riflewuzhere