follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
What typically changes alignment if nothing bends?

For those of us that track or race these cars - we sometimes leave the course, bang a curb or worse - bang into other cars.

When I got punted into Totemo, the nose of my car was taken off by his fender/door and very little contact was made to either of our tires. However both of our cars had misaligned toe. Nothin is visibly bent or out of shape on either car.

He did a toe adjustment at the track and everything spec'd out fine after that and I haven't tried to adjust mine since it's in pieces but I'm curious...

If the toe change isn't the result of something changing shape - what else is likely the culprit? Subframe, pick up point for LCA moved off center? Or is something bent and it's just not discernable by the eye?
Old 03-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I am not sure, but even over the course of doing a few track days my wheel starts to go off center. I'd guess possibly subframe shifting but I don't really know, I have considered paint marking the subframe where it mounts to see if it is shifting.
rice_classic (03-31-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I think crush tubes and bolts take up the small play they have in a different position.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:35 AM   #4
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Usually bolts and anything threaded slipping ever so slightly. It doesnt take much for the toe to get out of whack at the front. Also, even if not visible, the whole front of the car is a crumple zone, it can very well bent and move without it being visible at the naked eye by very small impacts.

My alignment doesnt change very much (or at all) with track usage, even when hitting/jumping curbs regularly, but it does shift every time I've hit a wall (some hard, some small bumps or grazes).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
For what it's worth, my OEM 14mm "crash" bolts did not come loose after a rally-x...

The OEM rear toe arms don't inspire me with confidence...I have mine back on the car temporarily so I've been keeping an eye on them. I've been doing a ton of alignments recently and have not noticed issues with front tie rods.

On the other hand, I've seen loose jam nuts on aftermarket toe arms and lower control arms somewhat frequently. I don't know if they weren't torqued properly initially or if that's the result of vibration and general abuse.

I'm trying to get in the habit of marking my nuts, and I'm thinking about a few other real solutions. A 2 nut combo properly installed in some locations and maybe nylon locking nuts in others (where I won't hate myself if I have to remove them).

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
Autoxer62

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you're trying to keep a fastener from backing off, I use Loctite. Things that stay on for a long time get red, blue for things I'm likely to take apart soon. Before someone repeats what the package says, the difficulty in removing a nut with red Loctite is overstated. For the subframe you might try a shot of paint on one of the surfaces, then assemble while wet. It will both help keep things where you put them and visually indicate if they've moved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Autoxer62 For This Useful Post:
jkamelo (04-02-2021), RT-BRZ (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
For what it's worth, my OEM 14mm "crash" bolts did not come loose after a rally-x...

The OEM rear toe arms don't inspire me with confidence...I have mine back on the car temporarily so I've been keeping an eye on them. I've been doing a ton of alignments recently and have not noticed issues with front tie rods.

On the other hand, I've seen loose jam nuts on aftermarket toe arms and lower control arms somewhat frequently. I don't know if they weren't torqued properly initially or if that's the result of vibration and general abuse.

I'm trying to get in the habit of marking my nuts, and I'm thinking about a few other real solutions. A 2 nut combo properly installed in some locations and maybe nylon locking nuts in others (where I won't hate myself if I have to remove them).

- Andrew
I check my car at least twice a year, and immediately after if I have an off track. I have found my rear LCA lock nuts come loose so I cross drilled one of them and threaded it for a nylon tipped set screw. No problems since. I am trying to get in the habit of marking fasteners as well.
Racecomp Engineering (04-02-2021), SCFD (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
SCFD

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I check my car at least twice a year, and immediately after if I have an off track. I have found my rear LCA lock nuts come loose so I cross drilled one of them and threaded it for a nylon tipped set screw. No problems since. I am trying to get in the habit of marking fasteners as well.

Are you using stock LCAs / lock nuts?
SCFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFD View Post
Are you using stock LCAs / lock nuts?