follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2019, 03:58 AM   #1
Polmtree

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need opinions on replacing clutch please

Hey,

I have a 2014 Scion FR-S just about to hit 100k miles. The clutch and throw out bearing need to be replaced and they are stock from factory. I use my Scion as a daily driver but I also like to have some fun and drift with it, or at least attempt to drift. I put shy of 30k miles a year on it and so my questions are-

1- which clutch do you recommend for someone driving like me? I’m currently looking at duralast from autozone (cheaper option) and the exedy pro kit. I’m open to any suggestions here however.

2- Should I replace the flywheel as well since I’m going to have to drop the transmission anyway?

Thank you.
Polmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:06 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polmtree View Post
Hey,

I have a 2014 Scion FR-S just about to hit 100k miles. The clutch and throw out bearing need to be replaced and they are stock from factory. I use my Scion as a daily driver but I also like to have some fun and drift with it, or at least attempt to drift. I put shy of 30k miles a year on it and so my questions are-

1- which clutch do you recommend for someone driving like me? I’m currently looking at duralast from autozone (cheaper option) and the exedy pro kit. I’m open to any suggestions here however.

2- Should I replace the flywheel as well since I’m going to have to drop the transmission anyway?

Thank you.
Hi ya, Polmtree, and welcome to ye ole forum -

For your type of driving, I would suggest you replace the clutch and pressure plate with the OEM parts. Make sure they (you) replace the TOB with the new, improved one.

I doubt the flywheel needs replacing, maybe resurfacing, depending on its condition.

Also, be sure to lub the clutch fork.

Congratulations on getting 100k out of your TOB!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:16 AM   #3
Polmtree

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hi ya, Polmtree, and welcome to ye ole forum -

For your type of driving, I would suggest you replace the clutch and pressure plate with the OEM parts. Make sure they (you) replace the TOB with the new, improved one.

I doubt the flywheel needs replacing, maybe resurfacing, depending on its condition.

Also, be sure to lub the clutch fork.

Congratulations on getting 100k out of your TOB!

humfrz
Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply, i was thinking the OEM would do fine also and it’s good to know I don’t need to replace the flywheel. One last question I forgot to add, is there anything else you recommend I do once I get the trans off besides the clutch and TOB? I would like to only drop the trans once and repair/replace anything else preemptively. It hasn’t had any service besides the usual oil change, brakes etc. And thank you again for the info.

Last edited by Polmtree; 04-05-2019 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to add everything
Polmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polmtree For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-05-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Exedy OEM replacement clutch (comes with new TOB) + flywheel.

The general rule of thumb is either replace the flywheel or have it resurfaced before the new clutch goes in. Replacing it is usually easier and you don't have to have the car on stands while the flywheel is machined, especially for a DD.

Only other thing would be to make sure you get new gearbox fluid too, as can be easily overlooked and needs to come out when you drop the transmission. If you are interested in any of the short throw shifter kits, or the mtec shifter springs, it's a good time to do it too.

Tags
clutch, flywheel