follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
6MT Transmission Grind -> Warranty Replacement (Subaru)

Has anyone in central/south NJ or eastern PA experienced a repeating transmission grind when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear at an RPM greater than 5500 as described in these threads? (I'm sure there are more)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64281
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37129
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47531
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57813

There are also many cases of a 4th to 5th gear grind, and thankfully, I haven't had that issue arise (yet).

If so, which Subaru dealership have you gone to? My experience at Subaru of Cherry Hill has been a joke. The service advisor I spoke to last night when dropping my car off said that I shouldn't be shifting that high, that it's not meant to go that high, and that just because the redline is at 7400, doesn't mean it should get that high. This morning, the advisor calls back and says they had two different technicians take my car out and collectively put on about 30 miles trying to reproduce the issue and were unable to. He said they were shifting "normal" despite my mentioning the night before that it happens during quick shifts (not even overly aggressive shifts). It's like it never occurred to them that one might drive a rear-wheel drive sports car in a...sporty manner. You'd think the dealership in the same city as Subaru of America's headquarters would be better than this.

If you haven't had this issue or your transmission replaced, what Subaru dealership did you have a good experience with when getting warranty work done? Did the service advisors understand the actual point of the car and not look at you like you're crazy for driving your car as it was meant to?

Thanks for any feedback!
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 WRX (sold) 2013 brz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
Has anyone in central/south NJ or eastern PA experienced a repeating transmission grind when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear at an RPM greater than 5500 as described in these threads? (I'm sure there are more)

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64281
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37129
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47531
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57813

There are also many cases of a 4th to 5th gear grind, and thankfully, I haven't had that issue arise (yet).

If so, which Subaru dealership have you gone to? My experience at Subaru of Cherry Hill has been a joke. The service advisor I spoke to last night when dropping my car off said that I shouldn't be shifting that high, that it's not meant to go that high, and that just because the redline is at 7400, doesn't mean it should get that high. This morning, the advisor calls back and says they had two different technicians take my car out and collectively put on about 30 miles trying to reproduce the issue and were unable to. He said they were shifting "normal" despite my mentioning the night before that it happens during quick shifts (not even overly aggressive shifts). It's like it never occurred to them that one might drive a rear-wheel drive sports car in a...sporty manner. You'd think the dealership in the same city as Subaru of America's headquarters would be better than this.

If you haven't had this issue or your transmission replaced, what Subaru dealership did you have a good experience with when getting warranty work done? Did the service advisors understand the actual point of the car and not look at you like you're crazy for driving your car as it was meant to?

Thanks for any feedback!
Even if you do get your transmission replaced under warranty which many have. The problem always comes back as it was never fixed. I would just wait it out until they recall these transmissions. I have an issue with 5th gear at the moment.
Rocket.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
Even if you do get your transmission replaced under warranty which many have. The problem always comes back as it was never fixed. I would just wait it out until they recall these transmissions. I have an issue with 5th gear at the moment.
Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Question still stands though, for when that day does come: anyone have any recommended dealerships?
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
shehan1212

Drives: stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
6MT Transmission Grind -> Warranty Replacement (Subaru)

And I heard that people have issues with going from 1st to 2nd gear too.
I have an AT. I shift at 7k all day long with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shehan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Hmmm, never really noticed problems like that. I have the typical difficulty putting the car into 2nd when the car's really cold
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 WRX (sold) 2013 brz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
Hmmm, never really noticed problems like that. I have the typical difficulty putting the car into 2nd when the car's really cold
Don't worry in time the horrors will come. I promise
Rocket.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Really? My car has 20k on it, and the trans has been fine between daily driving, touge runs and drift events
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
kroper

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
This is where I am at. Transmission replaced and the issue isn't resolved still super notchy and grinds into second
kroper is offline   Reply With Quote