follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
Grosbard

Drives: 2022 BRZ coming
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Connected Services on Limited only

Hi all! Wanted to get more info on this. I ordered a BRZ Limited 6MT because I want the rear Cross Traffic Alert and the better tires, but looking at the more detailed specs, I see that Limited comes with "SUBARU STARLINK Connected Services" but Premium does not.

I looked up what the "Connected Services" are, and it seems like a bunch of things that track your usage patterns and location, and that info will be used to:

1. provide services if you want them (and are still within your free subscription period, and/or you have paid for addition time on the subscription)

AND

2. that info will be used by Subaru for knowing more about you and your usage, and sold to other companies to help them market to you.

Based on this, I think I would rather not have the "Connected Services", so I'm thinking about changing my order to Premium (I can always get different wheels and tires right after purchase). So my question is which of these two do you think is the likely situation:

1. Both Premium and Limited have the exact same hardware and therefore do the same tracking and selling of your information, it's just that Limited is the only version that allows you to take advantage of those services if you want to use them. (In which case, Limited sounds better than Premium to me)

2. Premium doesn't have all the necessary radios and antennas needed for the "Connected Services" to track your usage and location, so they don't have the ability to track your usage even if they wanted to. (In which case, Premium sounds better to me)

I think #1 seems more likely since Subaru would probably not bother with the expense of making 2 separate versions of the car hardware for this (especially since the "feature" we're talking about is actually valuable to them...it's one feature they really want you to have, so they'd happily give it to you for free).

Would love to hear sincere and constructive feedback on this topic. Thanks!

Last edited by Grosbard; 09-18-2021 at 12:56 AM.
Grosbard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grosbard For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-21-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
If they are bothering to collect your information in one, I'd be very surprised if they weren't doing it in both. The times we live in are strange.
JesseG (09-21-2021), soundman98 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 10:04 PM   #3
slimfit

Drives: ‘22 BRZ
I have a hard time believing they would keep a detailed record of driving habits and location of every vehicle equipped with this. That would be a huge waste of data and resources. They most likely would watch in real-time if at all.

My wife’s Forester has all the connected services except for the concierge plan. It’s great for remote start, remote locking/unlocking anywhere on earth, vehicle location, stolen vehicle recovery…etc. for only $75 for 3 years.

Totally worth it IMO!

PS, we never noticed any extra solicitation or issues from Subaru or any other company since we had it.

Last edited by slimfit; 09-17-2021 at 10:14 PM.
slimfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i think you're buying in the wrong era to avoid being tracked or marketed to.
weederr33 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:17 PM   #5
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosbard View Post
Hi all! Wanted to get opinions on this. I ordered a BRZ Limited 6MT because I want the rear Cross Traffic Alert and the better tires, but looking at the more detailed specs, I see that Limited comes with "SUBARU STARLINK Connected Services" but Premium does not.

I looked up what the "Connected Services" are, and it seems like a bunch of things that track your usage patterns and location, and that info will be used to:

1. provide services if you want them (and are still within your free subscription period, and/or you have paid for addition time on the subscription)

AND

2. that info will be used by Subaru for knowing more about you and your usage, and sold to other companies to help them market to you.

Based on this, I think I would rather not have the "Connected Services", so I'm thinking about changing my order to Premium (I can always get different wheels and tires right after purchase). So my question is which of these two do you think is the likely situation:

1. Both Premium and Limited have the exact same hardware and therefore do the same tracking and selling of your information, it's just that Limited is the only version that allows you to take advantage of those services if you want to use them. (In which case, Limited sounds better than Premium to me)

2. Premium doesn't have all the necessary radios and antennas needed for the "Connected Services" to track your usage and location, so they don't have the ability to track your usage even if they wanted to. (In which case, Premium sounds better to me)

I think #1 seems more likely since Subaru would probably not bother with the expense of making 2 separate versions of the car hardware for this (especially since the "feature" we're talking about is actually valuable to them...it's one feature they really want you to have, so they'd happily give it to you for free).

First, if you
A. Have a smartphone
or
B. Use any social media, Google, YouTube, Amazon, etc.
You are already having your data collected. This is not even me trying to be a smartass, because it’s basically true.

Also, I’m fairly certain the Subaru Connected Services require a subscription after like 6 months or something.
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kona61 For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-21-2021), weederr33 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:44 PM   #6
s30series

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Pulling up my phone to lock my car while at a soccer match is amazing.

Pulling up my phone to crank the car up and adjust the heating in the winter time before I arrive is amazing.

Pulling up my phone to see my wife is leaving her boyfriend's is amazing

It's worth the Subaru ads on Hulu
s30series is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to s30series For This Useful Post:
Kona61 (09-18-2021), slimfit (09-18-2021), SockMonkey (09-18-2021), stilesg57 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 12:05 AM   #7
Kona61

Drives: ‘22 CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by s30series View Post
Pulling up my phone to lock my car while at a soccer match is amazing.

Pulling up my phone to crank the car up and adjust the heating in the winter time before I arrive is amazing.

Pulling up my phone to see my wife is leaving her boyfriend's is amazing

It's worth the Subaru ads on Hulu
Well I can’t say the third applies to me, but the first two are pretty cool
Kona61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:55 AM   #8
Grosbard

Hardware differences

Let’s try to keep this thread focused on the facts (I.e. what hardware differences there are between Premium and Limited) instead of opinions (I.e. what data are you comfortable with sharing). Since I don’t think in this case it would be very productive to try to sway someone else’s opinion.

Anyone know if there are actual hardware differences between the two trim levels?
Old 09-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosbard View Post
Hi all! Wanted to get more info on this. I ordered a BRZ Limited 6MT because I want the rear Cross Traffic Alert and the better tires, but looking at the more detailed specs, I see that Limited comes with "SUBARU STARLINK Connected Services" but Premium does not.

AND

Hi Grosbard,

There is information on how to disable this online - found it a few months back looking for the same kind of solution.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...3#post-5946760
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blighty For This Useful Post:
dowroa (09-20-2021), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (09-18-2021), Pete (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
Grosbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Hi Grosbard,

There is information on how to disable this online - found it a few months back looking for the same kind of solution.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...3#post-5946760
Hi Blighty! Wow, thanks for the great info! On that page, did you go with dfranke's solution (the surgery) or walker's solution (just unplugging the 2 or 3 antennas)? Walker's certainly seems easier and easily reversible!
The Following User Says Thank You to Grosbard For This Useful Post:
Blighty (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #11
soundman98

i would just unplug the antenna's.

de-pinning connectors is never fun, and more involved than needed.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #12
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Like others have said, it’s not hard to disable. I had a 2017 STI that came with it. I made sure to pull out the plug to the antenna. The last thing I need is Subaru knowing about my driving habits. Nobody buys a WRX, STI, or BRZ to drive it slow
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGoober For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #13
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
Like others have said, it’s not hard to disable. I had a 2017 STI that came with it. I made sure to pull out the plug to the antenna. The last thing I need is Subaru knowing about my driving habits. Nobody buys a WRX, STI, or BRZ to drive it slow
yay! another person that lol's when their insurance agent calls about 'we can lower your rate, just plug this thingie into your cars OBD port to send data back to the mothership that blindly assigns pre-determined invisible metrics to your account!'
Old 09-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #14
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
yay! another person that lol's when their insurance agent calls about 'we can lower your rate, just plug this thingie into your cars OBD port to send data back to the mothership that blindly assigns pre-determined invisible metrics to your account!'
my favorite part of this is that its such a small discount to tattle on your own driving habits.

and fwiw, just because google and fb can create a marketing profile of your likes/posts/ect doesn't mean that Subaru can't make a small profit selling your data.

fuck these assholes and anyone else trying to sell your data for almost no real money just because they're desperate.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-18-2021)