follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2023, 09:55 AM   #631
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Stupid Owner Tricks

I'm sitting in my car this morning waiting to pick someone up when I notice the time between the 1980's era clock in the FRS is off by about 2 minutes (running slow as it tends to do over time).

I update minutes but see that it is still off by about 30 seconds from my cell phone. Well, given it's 6:18am I think to myself, I'll never remember to synch it at the top of the hour with the :00 button.

Then it dawns on me, I wait until 6:19am push the :00 button as my cell phone changes (making it 6:00am), then update the minutes to 6:19am.

6:20am rolls around and AMAZINGLY, both my cell phone and clock change at the same time.

Sometimes it's the little things that make us happy, and escape us for 12 years of ownership.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-14-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-13-2023), Dzmitry (06-14-2023), JD001 (09-23-2023), Jdmjunkie (06-13-2023), M&M_Hwy9 (11-28-2023), soundman98 (06-13-2023), Spuds (06-17-2023), Ultramaroon (06-13-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 08:02 PM   #632
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

How to break your car without really trying...

Went on a 1,000 mile round trip road trip this weekend to visit my favorite aunt how is going through some health issues and I hadn't seen her in a while.

On the way back, I noticed every once in a while, the radio/nav would restart. I thought, geez radio must be going out, but heck I want to upgrade anyway. It did these two or three times over 75 miles.

Then I noticed it did it when the car bumped. Agh, something must be loose, but it's only the radio, no big deal will fix it when I'm home.

Didn't happen again for 150 miles.

Then I went over one of those bridges that really needs repaving. The car bumped several times in a row and cruise control went out with the radio. Then about 5 bumps later the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, but the car never stop running. Before I could slow down and pull over it did it about 4 more times. Everything stopped by the time I pulled over.

The car now will not turn over, even though all the lights on the dash are on. I can't put it in park, the radio doesn't work and the windows won't roll down. The A/C is off (in 98-degree weather with 100% humidity in South Carolina).

I get out and what I find is that the backside of the battery tie down is missing, and the other two pieces are laying on top of the battery. The battery itself was exactly where it should be but I suspect it was shorting out on the hood or grounding on something around the battery when it "jumped".

Call emergency services, get the car towed to the nearest dealer as I don't know any of the shops in North Augusta, SC (300 miles from home). This is Sunday afternoon.

Fortunately, MomHawk found me a real nice place to stay, and the innkeeper and his wife were very helpful and accommodating.

(Free plug, if you are ever looking for a place to stay in the Augusta, GA area I highly recommend https://www.lookawayinn.com). The rates were better than ANY hotel that was more than 1 star and the accommodations were great, which is good since I was stuck there Sunday through Tuesday AM. They even drove me to the dealership.

Turns out that the main fuse block for the alternator tripped, as well as about 4 others. And of course, the battery tie down.

The Toyota dealership did not have the right fuse block, or the tie down, so had to wait an extra night. Kudos to them though because they were very busy in their Service Department but took the time to put me at the front of the line and keep me update.

Honestly, I've always been leery of the battery tie down in the FRS. It's an overly complex piece of junk. I'm surprised others haven't had issues with it.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-18-2023 at 08:13 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bcj (07-19-2023), Code Monkey (07-18-2023), humfrz (07-19-2023), soundman98 (07-18-2023), Spuds (07-18-2023), tarzan_nojane (07-18-2023), Teseo (07-18-2023), villainous_frx (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 10:11 PM   #633
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

Honestly, I've always been leery of the battery tie down in the FRS. It's an overly complex piece of junk. I'm surprised others haven't had issues with it.
Time to buy an aftermarket battery tie down, would nice project while drinking a beer
Teseo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-19-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 11:44 PM   #634
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Glad you solved your issue! Had similar issue while back, but this was due to “ignoring” the battery tie down *cough* negligence *cough* and not keeping up with basic eyeball checks. I tried using a aftermarket tie down made of polyester… then the battery acid started turning it ugly brown and I returned to OEM tie. Going to replace it sometime soon too. Want something to look more interesting.
Old 07-19-2023, 12:38 AM   #635
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Went on a 1,000 mile round trip road trip this weekend .
UGH! What a story - glad you made it out alive.

Man, even duct tape and baling wire wouldn't have fixed that.

However, #9 wire could have fixed it right up. Wire the battery down in place and uses pieces of the wire to jump the fuses.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #636
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
UGH! What a story - glad you made it out alive.

Man, even duct tape and baling wire wouldn't have fixed that.

However, #9 wire could have fixed it right up. Wire the battery down in place and uses pieces of the wire to jump the fuses.

Bailing wire would have worked had I stopped and looked the first time it did it. Not much work for duct tape here though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 02:49 PM   #637
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Time to buy an aftermarket battery tie down, would nice project while drinking a beer
Had one at one time, at least the top bar. It was the one made by @GrimmSpeed right after the car was released that was the opposing pistons.

It started to corrode though and the a couple of batteries ago it no longer fit (the stays weren't long enough) so I went back to the OEM one, but that's been about 5 years now.

Old 09-21-2023, 04:11 PM   #638
jkamelo
[jay-kuh-meh-low]

Drives: 2016 FRS RS2.0 #293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just want to say that I love this series and how long you've kept it going.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #639
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkamelo View Post
Just want to say that I love this series and how long you've kept it going.
Thanks, wish I had more to contribute of late but after a while it's just "driving the car and nothing new".

Old 09-22-2023, 08:41 AM   #640
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Not 86 related, but to close the loop on the 2016 Ford Focus transmission drama, SonHawk, who recently completed his Masters and landed the job he wanted as a school psychologist decided "to hell with the cheese, I want out of the trap" and got rid of the demon.

It had started running funny again, and to me it seemed it was slipping first gear but drove fine. It was going in the shop on Monday to be checked out, this time at the independent shop we use for our cars.

In the mean time he had started the replacement search.

He's a 4-door sedan type of guy and really wanted a Volvo S60 (his first car was a Volvo he did a modest restoration on as his Senior Project in high school). They were out of his price range. We found a nice 2022 KIA K5 with about 20K miles on it at a fair price.

He went in on his own to only test drive it, but I knew when he went in he'd be leaving with the car (we all know how that goes).

They offered him slightly more the KBB for his car, and that combined with the Focus needing work, he decided it was time to let it go.

Then the real adventure began.

Between the Focus and some cash he was putting about 10% down. He has a 10 year work history (at 26) because he's always paid his own expenses. We paid for his undergrad, and he paid for his Master's (no debt). Problem is he has no credit history.

So, the first offer was a payment of over $900 on an $18,000 loan with an interest rate of 30%! That's what being fiscally responsible gets you.

Anyway, after some haggling about pulling garbage fees off the invoice (we removed about $5,000 of extended warrranty, paint protection, "dent protection", etc) and with Dad as a cosigner, he got the deal we wanted and he is all good with the "new" car and the demon car is gone!

Last edited by Dadhawk; 09-22-2023 at 12:26 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-22-2023), blsfrs (09-22-2023), jkamelo (09-22-2023), Spuds (09-23-2023), villainous_frx (09-22-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 03:16 AM   #641
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Went on a 1,000 mile round trip road trip this weekend to visit my favorite aunt how is going through some health issues and I hadn't seen her in a while.

On the way back, I noticed every once in a while, the radio/nav would restart. I thought, geez radio must be going out, but heck I want to upgrade anyway. It did these two or three times over 75 miles.

Then I noticed it did it when the car bumped. Agh, something must be loose, but it's only the radio, no big deal will fix it when I'm home.

Didn't happen again for 150 miles.

Then I went over one of those bridges that really needs repaving. The car bumped several times in a row and cruise control went out with the radio. Then about 5 bumps later the dash lights up like a Christmas tree, but the car never stop running. Before I could slow down and pull over it did it about 4 more times. Everything stopped by the time I pulled over.

The car now will not turn over, even though all the lights on the dash are on. I can't put it in park, the radio doesn't work and the windows won't roll down. The A/C is off (in 98-degree weather with 100% humidity in South Carolina).

I get out and what I find is that the backside of the battery tie down is missing, and the other two pieces are laying on top of the battery. The battery itself was exactly where it should be but I suspect it was shorting out on the hood or grounding on something around the battery when it "jumped".

Call emergency services, get the car towed to the nearest dealer as I don't know any of the shops in North Augusta, SC (300 miles from home). This is Sunday afternoon.

Fortunately, MomHawk found me a real nice place to stay, and the innkeeper and his wife were very helpful and accommodating.

(Free plug, if you are ever looking for a place to stay in the Augusta, GA area I highly recommend https://www.lookawayinn.com). The rates were better than ANY hotel that was more than 1 star and the accommodations were great, which is good since I was stuck there Sunday through Tuesday AM. They even drove me to the dealership.

Turns out that the main fuse block for the alternator tripped, as well as about 4 others. And of course, the battery tie down.

The Toyota dealership did not have the right fuse block, or the tie down, so had to wait an extra night. Kudos to them though because they were very busy in their Service Department but took the time to put me at the front of the line and keep me update.

I tried the ICE in my BRZeeeee just the once and never again... God knows what it sounds like now, speakers and electronics not been exercised for almost 10 years!!
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-24-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #642
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Not 86 related, but to close the loop on the 2016 Ford Focus transmission drama, SonHawk, who recently completed his Masters and landed the job he wanted as a school psychologist decided "to hell with the cheese, I want out of the trap" and got rid of the demon.

It had started running funny again, and to me it seemed it was slipping first gear but drove fine. It was going in the shop on Monday to be checked out, this time at the independent shop we use for our cars.

He's a 4-door sedan type of guy and really wanted a Volvo S60 (his first car was a Volvo he did a modest restoration on as his Senior Project in high school). They were out of his price range. We found a nice 2022 KIA K5 with about 20K miles on it at a fair price.

He went in on his own to only test drive it, but I knew when he went in he'd be leaving with the car (we all know how that goes).

They offered him slightly more the KBB for his car, and that combined with the Focus needing work, he decided it was time to let it go.

Between the Focus and some cash he was putting about 10% down. He has a 10 year work history (at 26) because he's always paid his own expenses. We paid for his undergrad, and he paid for his Master's (no debt). Problem is he has no credit history.

So, the first offer was a payment of over $900 on an $18,000 loan with an interest rate of 30%! That's what being fiscally responsible gets you.

Anyway, after some haggling about pulling garbage fees off the invoice (we removed about $5,000 of extended warrranty, paint protection, "dent protection", etc) and with Dad as a cosigner, he got the deal we wanted and he is all good with the "new" car and the demon car is gone!
That's crazy. I got something under 5% on the FRS at 23, with 1 year of actual work history. I did make a 10-15k down payment though so maybe that makes a difference?

Edit, well if you count jobs like tutoring and referee then I had more than 1 year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-24-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 08:20 PM   #643
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I've recently worked on a transit 250 (abs module) and a couple Fiestas (tcm and dct rebuild). Ford software is a problem. Even the dealer couldn't program one fiesta and the transit abs module had to be frankensteined to get the idiot lights off. I wouldn't touch a ford.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-24-2023), soundman98 (09-23-2023)
Old 09-23-2023, 08:47 PM   #644
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
yeah, that was exactly why i got a store credit card as soon as i could at 18. just having the reporting later on made this painless. even though i didn't use it all that much.
Dadhawk (09-24-2023)

Tags
dadhawk, first86