follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
TurboBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Project BRZ Intake Manifold Development

Last night a member from the So Flo BRZ/FR-S group came by and left me with a beautiful little present:

He showed me his ideas for what he wanted to achieve in creating a new intake manifold, but lacks the CAD skills to create it. So I have partnered up with him to develop the CAD side of the manifold - while he is skilled in MasterCAM and thus will be running the 5-axis CNC machines to cut the flanges and manifold base.

Right now we are shooting for an equal-length runner design with a single massive collector just behind the throttle body where they split. As the design comes along I'll post some updates for everyone. Right now we are only planning to build 2 of these (1 for my car and 1 for his), but we'll see how things go and what our finished costs are.

I Rebuild BRZ's for Breakfast.
TurboBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TurboBRZ For This Useful Post:
BatStig (07-30-2015), Brzerker (07-30-2015), Calum (07-30-2015), Captain Snooze (08-03-2015), fika84 (07-30-2015), projectXTR (07-30-2015), shifter907 (07-30-2015), Starkiller (08-03-2015), Valentino (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBRZ View Post
Last night a member from the So Flo BRZ/FR-S group came by and left me with a beautiful little present:

He showed me his ideas for what he wanted to achieve in creating a new intake manifold, but lacks the CAD skills to create it. So I have partnered up with him to develop the CAD side of the manifold - while he is skilled in MasterCAM and thus will be running the 5-axis CNC machines to cut the flanges and manifold base.

Right now we are shooting for an equal-length runner design with a single massive collector just behind the throttle body where they split. As the design comes along I'll post some updates for everyone. Right now we are only planning to build 2 of these (1 for my car and 1 for his), but we'll see how things go and what our finished costs are.
*plenum
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
TurboBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
*plenum
Thanks, but I use the terminology supplied by the manufacturer and although the word plenum is used in other countries, it's nowhere to be found on the manufacturer's specifications:

The Following User Says Thank You to TurboBRZ For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting,
You do know there are several companies in the US with the Fuji Heavy complete car in CAD you can dismantle each individual component. I can name 4 off the top of my head.
Unfortunately they will not relinquish the info, I wonder how to obtain these CAD files.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
D K
Stig's dark passenger

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
*plenum
Plenum is only one part of the manifold.

What this engine needs is s TWIN plenum, twin throttlebody type of manifold.

Plus, it would be easier to make.

D
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks, but I use the terminology supplied by the manufacturer and although the word plenum is used in other countries, it's nowhere to be found on the manufacturer's specifications:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Plenum is only one part of the manifold.

What this engine needs is s TWIN plenum, twin throttlebody type of manifold.

Plus, it would be easier to make.

D

I wasn't talking about the whole intake manifold, I was talking about the collector, that why that word is in bold in my quoted text.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
TurboBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Interesting,
You do know there are several companies in the US with the Fuji Heavy complete car in CAD you can dismantle each individual component. I can name 4 off the top of my head.
Unfortunately they will not relinquish the info, I wonder how to obtain these CAD files.
You hire someone like me to reverse-engineer them

Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
TurboBRZ

Garage
Part 1 - The Flange

Here is my rough sketch of the flange built off the stock manifold. I have a few more finishing touches to add (fillets mainly) but other than that it's nearly ready to create a prototype on my 3D printer to test fitment.

Next step is the injector ports and runner adapter for the flange.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #9
TurboBRZ

Garage
Flange Complete

Here is the completed flange that has had some factory areas modified for easier machining. I'll be 3D printing off a sample of this soon to line up with the stock manifold to make sure everything is perfect before proceeding to the next step.

After that I will build the injector ports with the adapter flange that converts the oval into a 2.5" circle so we can weld on some custom mandrel bent tubing to the collector.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
Here is the completed flange that has had some factory areas modified for easier machining. I'll be 3D printing off a sample of this soon to line up with the stock manifold to make sure everything is perfect before proceeding to the next step.

After that I will build the injector ports with the adapter flange that converts the oval into a 2.5" circle so we can weld on some custom mandrel bent tubing to the collector.

Wish I went to school for SW or CAD This is me playing around a few years back. I need a setup at 52mm Round port. 2.5" OD is too large it will cause issues

The flange is easy I have had that done for 2 years now. Additionally to save costs I have a gasket made in a flat design to avoid the additional cost of CNC for the rubber Oring>

Difficult part is Port injector placement, and angle then loft the oval to round.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
TurboBRZ

Garage
Quote:
Wish I went to school for SW or CAD This is me playing around a few years back. I need a setup at 52mm Round port.

The flange is easy I have had that done for 2 years now. Additionally to save costs I have a gasket made in a flat design to avoid the additional cost of CNC for the rubber Oring>

Difficult part is Port injector placement, and angle then loft the oval to round.
Yeah, my base flange is done, next part I will build is the injector mount. I'm solidworks certified (free program offered through Broward College) and use the software frequently, so doing the more advanced stuff for me isn't that difficult, it just takes some time. Right now I don't have a lot of extra time so it's a bit difficult.

By the end of the week I hope to have the injector part completed so I can move on to the throttle body plate.

I already printed off one copy of the flange which fits perfect. It will use the stock rubber gaskets.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, my base flange is done, next part I will build is the injector mount. I'm solidworks certified (free program offered through Broward College) and use the software frequently, so doing the more advanced stuff for me isn't that difficult, it just takes some time. Right now I don't have a lot of extra time so it's a bit difficult.

By the end of the week I hope to have the injector part completed so I can move on to the throttle body plate.

I already printed off one copy of the flange which fits perfect. It will use the stock rubber gaskets.
You do know left and right flange are not mirror opposites right? Differences on them
Old 08-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
TurboBRZ

Garage
Quote:
You do know left and right flange are not mirror opposites right? Differences on them
Yes, minor differences. The ports are about 3mm moved in one direction on one side compared to the other, and one of the mounting holes is about 10mm down and 7mm over (roughly).

Old 08-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Sorry, I don't know what it is that is being designed here.
Am I correct this is going to be a tuned length intake mimicking free to air trumpets?
That is, another interpretation of the Velox manifold?

*starts fantasizing about another 10 na hp*

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote