follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #71
mkxr

Drives: honda fit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
If you still can't see the "T"... there's a problem with your eyes
Not sure that was necessarily intended to be a 'T,' just a nice interlocking pattern that's repeated in the cluster panel, rear bumper, front grill, and probably couple other places on the car.
I do agree that this large piece of plastic does look cheap though. The BRZ one doesn't look much better, but at least it's not trying to be something it's not.
mkxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #72
Klinn

Drives: '20 Pure Red BRZ, '20 Torch Red C8
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastuch View Post
Other than a Miata and cars that are now out of production I can't see any other fun sports cars.
Unless you are willing to go the lightly-used route. Then you could consider things like a Boxster or an Elise, although the latter has a pretty limited pool of used vehicles to choose from.

In my case, a couple of years ago I decided to get a 2-year-old Corvette. I absolutely needed <cough> to experience a car with a silly amount of power and sweet V8 exhaust note and it fell under your price cap.
Klinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #73
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkxr View Post
Not sure that was necessarily intended to be a 'T,' just a nice interlocking pattern that's repeated in the cluster panel, rear bumper, front grill, and probably couple other places on the car.
I do agree that this large piece of plastic does look cheap though. The BRZ one doesn't look much better, but at least it's not trying to be something it's not.
T stands for toyota, its all over the car in various places

same t used on the tundra rims

go to a toyota dealership you ll see the t in various places on different cars

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #74
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
He didn't say japanese..he just said cars in general. I'm not hating on the brz/fr-s. its a awesome car. Just..its not the end all be all of sports cars is all I'm saying.
I know but he does have a point by mentioning there hasn't been a car that fit those categories regardless of it was Japanese, European or American.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #75
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Quote:
Other than a Miata and cars that are now out of production I can't see any other fun sports cars.

Note: I've driven almost every "sporty" car under $40000 and I hate everything.
are you serious?

RX-8, EVO, STi, GTi, Miata, are all fun sporty cars, just to name a few. If you don't think any car besides the miata is fun, why don't you drive a miata? And yes- I have driven all of them (STi and EVO were '07 and '06 models though). Each car is unique and has its pros/cons, but each car is def. fun and sporty in its own way.

There is a large difference between a sporty car, a sports car, and a track-ready car....

You're entitled to your own opinion but I really find it hard to believe you can't have fun in any car besides a miata...In fact, I would argue we are in a golden-era of automobiles. As enthusiasts we have such a wide variety of sporty, reliable, and efficient cars, the BRZ/FR-S just takes this to the nth degree AND comes in at a very low price-point...
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #76
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkxr View Post
It is intended to be a "T", there is a video somewhere on this forum of the designer from toyota talking about the design of the GT86 and pointed out all the places where they use the "T" shape.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #77
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:

Note: I've driven almost every "sporty" car under $40000 and I hate everything.
What did you think of the BMW 128i? I had thoughts of one of those used. Not anymore. FR-S all the way
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #78
Grateful Dave
2nd 86 member

Drives: 2013 Asphalt AT FR-S
Quote:
Here's the dash look

Zoomed in more

If you still can't see the "T"... there's a problem with your eyes
I saw the T. The reviewer and hadn't really looked at it. It is carbon fiber looking dash. oh well. I'm not sweating the small stuff and either was he. Also it looks better than the BRZ dash.
Grateful Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #79
Hanzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
I saw the T. The reviewer and hadn't really looked at it. It is carbon fiber looking dash. oh well. I'm not sweating the small stuff and either was he. Also it looks better than the BRZ dash.
I agree, it looks better than the silver trim on the BRZ.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #80
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
are you serious?

RX-8, EVO, STi, GTi, Miata, are all fun sporty cars, just to name a few. If you don't think any car besides the miata is fun, why don't you drive a miata? And yes- I have driven all of them (STi and EVO were '07 and '06 models though). Each car is unique and has its pros/cons, but each car is def. fun and sporty in its own way.

There is a large difference between a sporty car, a sports car, and a track-ready car....

You're entitled to your own opinion but I really find it hard to believe you can't have fun in any car besides a miata...In fact, I would argue we are in a golden-era of automobiles. As enthusiasts we have such a wide variety of sporty, reliable, and efficient cars, the BRZ/FR-S just takes this to the nth degree AND comes in at a very low price-point...
Meh, the golden era was the 90's IMO. Nearly all the sports cars seem to be going away. The Miata will continue and likely a Nissan Z and WRX STI but the Evo is in question and the RX-8 and Eclipse have been discontinued as well as many others this past decade. And they are getting larger and dulled down over the years. That's why I like the idea of this car so much - it was apparently made with the goal of a more direct feel and traditional sports car formula (hence the 86). So with that said, every new car I have driven has mostly disappointed me as well. Driving a new car and then getting back into my 99 Eclipse which has so much more feel is like night and day. New cars, even our Evo X, just tend to bore me. Anyway I better end this rant. :P
Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #81
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
I agree, it looks better than the silver trim on the BRZ.
I saw BRZ's dash, it's not really bad. From the look of BRZ, it looks annoying, but when you sit down, it's not really annoying. It's just there.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #82
Hanzo

Quote:
I saw BRZ's dash, it's not really bad. From the look of BRZ, it looks annoying, but when you sit down, it's not really annoying. It's just there.
Yeah maybe down the road they'll have leather wrapped trim replacements...
Old 05-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #83
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
I think the highlight of the review was the professional race driver stopped really caring about his lap time and was just having fun in the car.

GT86: "This car has two steering wheels: one is circular, the other is operated with the right foot."
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no_name For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (05-02-2012), Grateful Dave (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #84
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think one of the reason modern sporty cars is so isolated has a lot to do with it being too harsh for DD.

Some people don't like steering feel on the weighty side(I love it)
Some people hate to feel the road of a really good sport tuned suspension as it gets tiring most of the time for them

It wasn't the manufacturers fault IMO, it was we the consumers and especially in America the bad roads played a major part in modern isolation in sports cars. Some days I love the feel of my car when I drive it over smooth roads and then when I drive on bad roads I have to slow down and feel every single bad patch of road and I hate that shit most of the times.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote