follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
PSM

Drives: 2017 Auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A960E Automatic Transmission Tuning

So, I know the TCM/TCU is locked/not "developed" for the 86 platform and by the looks of it, it may never be looked into.

How do you FI/turbo guys get around the shift firmness (Line pressure), torque converter lockup, rpm shift point control etc with the auto?

I've been trying to use the torque/ DBW tables to try to "fool" the TCM and get around not having direct control for shift firmness etc.

it turned into it "getting" there and shifting how I want it to, but it turns the car into a sensitivity jumpy mess (with the DBW tables).

(Car is still N/A right now)

I came across this old 5EAT thread and by the looks of it they used the (Target throttle plate position Requested Torque) table to fool the TCM into shifting firmer than stock on that platform)

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...re-149282.html and from reading that thread it seems as if it was doing atleast something.

Has anyone ever fooled with this table on the 86 platform to see if it does anything on the transmission side? (By the looks of it, it controls and is formatted way different on the 86 platform?)

There is really no newer info for the 86 platform and the A960E on the tuning side.

My guess is because majority of these cars are sold with the manual, and the automatic is a small minority.

At this point I see SSP has a valve body and torque converter out and that's about it.

Has anyone looked into, an external controller for the A960E such as a PCS or possibly trying to see if its possible to do a raw stock TCM file dump with external tools?
Attached Images

Last edited by PSM; 10-25-2018 at 08:22 AM.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
If anyone has tried messing with the auto tranny tables its South Side Performance...

@sspkris
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have thought about AT tuning for a while after installing JRSC in my FR-S. But I find myself driving in manual mode when I drive for fun and AT performs just fine in stop and go traffic. In the automatic mode on the freeway, I just downshift myself with a tap on the paddle when I am accelerating. I don't feel any need for AT tuning.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #4
shr133

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
So, I know the TCM/TCU is locked/not "developed" for the 86 platform and by the looks of it, it may never be looked into.

How do you FI/turbo guys get around the shift firmness (Line pressure), torque converter lockup, rpm shift point control etc with the auto?

I've been trying to use the torque/ DBW tables to try to "fool" the TCM and get around not having direct control for shift firmness etc.

it turned into it "getting" there and shifting how I want it to, but it turns the car into a sensitivity jumpy mess (with the DBW tables).

(Car is still N/A right now)

I came across this old 5EAT thread and by the looks of it they used the (Target throttle plate position Requested Torque) table to fool the TCM into shifting firmer than stock on that platform)

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...re-149282.html and from reading that thread it seems as if it was doing atleast something.

Has anyone ever fooled with this table on the 86 platform to see if it does anything on the transmission side? (By the looks of it, it controls and is formatted way different on the 86 platform?)

There is really no newer info for the 86 platform and the A960E on the tuning side.

My guess is because majority of these cars are sold with the manual, and the automatic is a small minority.

At this point I see SSP has a valve body and torque converter out and that's about it.

Has anyone looked into, an external controller for the A960E such as a PCS or possibly trying to see if its possible to do a raw stock TCM file dump with external tools?
2 of the torque tables help control lock up and shifting...I have to look them up... Calculated torque #2 for 1-2 gears #1 for 3-6 gears....

1st you have to drive in manual mode with the auto. 2nd flush your trans fluid, 8 qts, run better trans fluid and 2-4 qts of dextron III to thicken the fluid for firmer shifts and harder lock up.. Last keep it cool, you could also add a small trans cooler. The economy trans fluid Toyota uses doesn't lock up hard and over heats really easy..

I run a mix of Redline D4 and D6 and disconnected the heating lines from the radiator for summer. https://www.redlineoil.com/d4-atf

There is also a company that makes valve bodies and torque converters.. https://www.sspperformance.com/brz-f...y-upgrade.html
Enkei TS9 18 X 8, Michelin Sport 4S 225 40 18, Flex Fuel, Edelbrock Supercharger, P & L header, Nameless front pipe, V1 cat back, Aluminum Driveshaft, pvc delete, med duck bill, KW V3, Whiteline 20 and 18 mm bars, Buddy Club and SPL control arms, Toe Arms, motor and trans mounts, Whiteline bushings, SHR stage II tune.
shr133 is offline   Reply With Quote