follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backup Camera as Ongoing Rear Traffic Cam?

Is there a way to do this? Forgive me if it's already been modded, but I'm curious.

Sorta similar to how Teslas have that option, where you can use the backup camera as an option to see rearview traffic, especially to help monitor blind spots and maybe catch some po-po stalking.

GBS Mafia
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
lightdir

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I do not think you can do it with the stock one but after market radio you can
lightdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 AM   #3
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you dig around in the wiring, you could seep a switch+diode to "trick" the head unit into thinking the car is in reverse.

However, at least on my back up camera, it wouldn't help too much for checking traffic behind me unless they were within 10 feet or so...although for blind spot monitoring it might work okay
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Taro
You call him Dr. Jones!

Drives: 2013 Twin Mish-Mash
Thanked 1,030 Times in 439 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I've always wondered about this even on other cars. It seems like ask is there for it to be possible. ..
Taro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Should be easy enough to trick the HU into displaying it when not in reverse, there's just one wire that goes in for reverse and you could add a switch to turn it on manually.

Make sure whatever cam you get has a great FOV, though. My aftermarket camera can only see about 10 feet, and that seems to be the norm.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nalc For This Useful Post:
notout86 (06-08-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
ChiefG
Skeptic

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6A
I did it with my aftermarket unit. I split the video signal with a RCA-Y connector, connecting one to the backup cam input and the other to the AV input. To view the rear while driving, I choose the AV input from my menu screen.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #7
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
Should be easy enough to trick the HU into displaying it when not in reverse, there's just one wire that goes in for reverse and you could add a switch to turn it on manually.

hi nalc
I have a back camera but I want to be able to turn on a front one too.
Our h/u is a FjitsuTen and I have studied all the connections so have ideas but all this is confusing to me.
When you say there's just one wire for reverse do you mean the one that goes to pin 2 of the 28pin socket? Then, even when not in reverse I could flick a switch that that wire goes through and as long as my back camera is turned off (by another switch or some other way) I would view the front.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM   #8
notout86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefG View Post
I did it with my aftermarket unit. I split the video signal with a RCA-Y connector, connecting one to the backup cam input and the other to the AV input. To view the rear while driving, I choose the AV input from my menu screen.
Hi ChiefG,
I already have a back camera which I installed to our FujitsuTEN by the 4pin socket CN4950 but I also want a front one. (In the process I confirmed that it works if connected to the 16-pin socket CN4800 but the 4pin is easier.)

From what I understand from what you said, if I simply plugged the video from my front cam into pin 13 (and shield to pin14) of the 28pin socket, then select AV from the menu, I will see the front view?

There is nothing connected to pins 13 or 14 at present.

OR did you connect your RCA split to somewhere else?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
ChiefG
Skeptic

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6A
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
Hi ChiefG,
I already have a back camera which I installed to our FujitsuTEN by the 4pin socket CN4950 but I also want a front one. (In the process I confirmed that it works if connected to the 16-pin socket CN4800 but the 4pin is easier.)

From what I understand from what you said, if I simply plugged the video from my front cam into pin 13 (and shield to pin14) of the 28pin socket, then select AV from the menu, I will see the front view?

There is nothing connected to pins 13 or 14 at present.

OR did you connect your RCA split to somewhere else?
My head unit has a RCA jack aux video input. If yours has same, use that. Then just select your Aux Video input when you wish to view the front cam.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
robot
There are now 2 carseats!

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
There is a link in my sig that say how to do this. Its fairly straightforward. The issue us that the guide lines will always be there along with the warning message.

In addition you may have to use Tue secret menu to reboot the machine once after starting the card to have the switch work on demand. Otherwise it might only work once.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
notout86

Just a quick thanks Chief & robot for this info. before I check our vehicle and possibly write off another day..... but I am learning. I will post back for the benefit of anyone else interested and eventually bring it all together.

Also robot, I like your idea of including the links in you signature. I will do similar as I can see it is not only handy for yourself but for others trying to follow themes. It is a great adjunct to Bookmarks.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
notout86

Here's a specific question about the principle involved in tricking the head unit into thinking it is in reverse. I hope it will clarify not only my understanding but also for other people who struggle to understand not only reverse signals but also parking brake and vehicle speed and similar.

My thinking is in layman terms (and promise you don't laugh, but rolling eyes is OK) :

there is a wire connected to a switch thing at the transmission and that wire goes on to the head unit. When reverse is selected, the switch switches and electrons flow in the wire to a pin of the head unit telling it that reverse is selected. Now, if reverse is not selected HOW THE HELL THEN can simply fiddling with the wire at the head unit eg another switch, beyond the transmission switch and therefore has no electrons flowing, trick the h/u?

Do not fear causing me embracement with the answer, I am embraced enough by simply asking.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 AM   #13
robot
There are now 2 carseats!

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Depending on the signal for something like this it either goes to power or ground (I can't remeber which it is off the top of my head...I think it needs 12v to be considered on by the headunit). If you complete the circuit electrons go excite the pin in the back if the headunit that tells it you are in reverse.

So instead of getting 12v when you go to reverse it does it when you flip a switch. Another 12v source is used and all the switch does is put this 12v to that reverse pin.

(I looked at my thread again and the stupid diagram I hotlinked is missing. It would make explaining this a whole lot easier.)
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #14
notout86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefG View Post
My head unit has a RCA jack aux video input. If yours has same, use that. Then just select your Aux Video input when you wish to view the front cam.
Your simple elegant method sounded great.

I too have what my h/u manual terms as "the AUX (RCA) connector" so I thought I was on a winner using your method, even though there is no mention of video playback (audio only). I would describe my connector as needing a headphone jack rather than the usual RCA for composite video. Which does yours looks like? If you can tell me which h/u you have I can check myself.

I have a spdif cable with a mono headphone-type plug one end and a male RCA on the other so I poked it into the AUX connector and indeed that made the AUX symbol go active on the touchscreen but plugging video from the camera, then touching AUX gives nothing. I guess therefore that you have a video connection from your AUX input to the h/u which mine lacks.

I think the potential for video is there as the AUX symbol on the h/u screen shows 3 RCA's and one is yellow and the others red and white.