follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #57
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
Yea that's what I said about the JDM mention. In terms of US, an SR20 never came in any model.
The SR20 was in the Sentra SE-R and Infinity G20.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #58
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
The SR20 was in the Sentra SE-R and Infinity G20.

Is there an Sentra SE-R or Infinity G20 in Formula Drift?
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #59
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Is there an Sentra SE-R or Infinity G20 in Formula Drift?
What does that have to do with your incorrect statement that in the US, an SR20 never came in any model.
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #60
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
What does that have to do with your incorrect statement that in the US, an SR20 never came in any model.

It has everything to do with my statement if you went back and read the original start of that topic.

*edit*...here let me help you out:

Original comment:

Quote:
If memory serves me correctly, there is but one true OEM motor inside of the car it came in, and that's Fredric Aasbo's 800hp Scion tC. (Talking about Formula Drift cars here)

All others have engine swaps. (Talking about Formula Drift cars here) I mean if you speak on US only spec. Some could argue that the SR20 came in the JDM spec S chassis, as there is one S chassis with an SR20 in it (but only because his 2jz S chassis had mechanically problems). (Talking about Formula Drift cars here)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Dave Briggs is still running the SR. He has been for years now.

People can bitch all they want but the fact is some options will never be as reliable. I love seeing OEM power plants in tact but if you want to be competitive, you gotta move with the times.

It's much easier to make 600hp from 6.x liter V8 than a 2 liter 4 cylinder. Much easier to keep the setup reliable too. People choose V8s cause they work. The power is always there and it doesn't require a lot of foot work. Shit, a lot of the FD drivers running the V8s leave the starting line in 2nd gear.

I prefer hearing the JZ motors and SRs and if I were to run in FD, I would most certainly go JZ. You just need to understand that you can only do so much with any platform before compromises start being made.

It is what it is.

Yea that's what I said about the JDM mention. In terms of US, an SR20 never came in any model.

Yep......Still talking about Formula Drift cars here

In Summary.....Of All the Japanese cars in Formula Drift, there is only one car sold in the US, still rocking it's OEM engine. All of the other Japanese cars have engine swaps. The V8 American cars (Camaro, Mustangs), I am not certain if they have a swap of another V8 or just a steroid version of their OEM engines.

Last edited by SnapOv3st3r; 04-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #61
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It has everything to do with my statement if you went back and read the original start of that topic.
If you are talking about the motor swap topic, you will find that I was the one who started it and my restriction was from the same manufacturer. That means an a motor from a Jeep can be dumped into a Dodge, or a Lincoln motor dropped into a Ford. I would go so far as to say in-house performance brands count too like the Mopar Motors such as the 7.4L Hemi being dumped into a Chrysler product.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #62
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
If you are talking about the motor swap topic, you will find that I was the one who started it and my restriction was from the same manufacturer. That means an a motor from a Jeep can be dumped into a Dodge, or a Lincoln motor dropped into a Ford. I would go so far as to say in-house performance brands count too like the Mopar Motors such as the 7.4L Hemi being dumped into a Chrysler product.
Yea, they actually get points for that also. Separate points that don't go toward the championship, but points for keeping with the same manufacture. But I think it's a tad bit more stricter qualifications to meet the whole "motor from same house" points.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #63
Grassroots_BRZ

Drives: Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Even though it's not ideal, a motor swap is absolutely necessary if you want to compete at Formula D now. The rate that you'd get separated by will keep one from ever winning that thing without it.
Grassroots_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote