follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #29
Graf Orlok

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I have been flip flipping on looks but I like the more sophisticated BRZ bumper now, especially with the STI lower aero.

Mechanically the BRZ seems more improved than the GR86. Sounds like Toyota didn’t really want to change stuff, or they want to keep cost down by reusing ZN6 parts.

#BRZMasterRace still rings true IMO.
This precisely. Also the fact that Toyota isn't taking orders yet steered me to my local Subaru dealer this week. Seeing deliveries starting in Japan and how clean this car looks with the additional parts has only reinforced my decision.
Graf Orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #30
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
I like the looks of the GR86 better, I even like the white/silver accents on the interior vs. the red. I trust Subaru to better service the motor and greatly prefer the service experience from my local Subaru dealer vs. Toyota. Echoing the other comments, Toyota seems to be run by accountants now and will look everywhere to cut costs, so another point for Subaru.
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #31
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
I trust Subaru to better service the motor and greatly prefer the service experience from my local Subaru dealer vs. Toyota. Echoing the other comments, Toyota seems to be run by accountants now and will look everywhere to cut costs, so another point for Subaru.
This is a weird one for me. I bought a 2020 new over a year ago and it has never seen the inside of a Subaru service department (or anywhere else for that matter) and I never intend for it ever to be serviced by any dealership.

I mean, I guess a service recall or warranty work would be possible - but frankly I don't expect either. I missed the fuel pump issue (would have taken a new one for free) and given I drive more than 20k a year, it won't be long before I am out of warranty (and given my mods, probably have voided most warranty work anyhow).
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #32
CaptainFenderbaum

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
This is a weird one for me. I bought a 2020 new over a year ago and it has never seen the inside of a Subaru service department (or anywhere else for that matter) and I never intend for it ever to be serviced by any dealership.

I mean, I guess a service recall or warranty work would be possible - but frankly I don't expect either. I missed the fuel pump issue (would have taken a new one for free) and given I drive more than 20k a year, it won't be long before I am out of warranty (and given my mods, probably have voided most warranty work anyhow).
I agree. Dealership service departments range from adequate to downright bad. I'll only do to dealership service departments for complimentary services included in the purchase price or for warranty service.
CaptainFenderbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:34 AM   #33
MisterGoober

Drives: IS300, WRX, STI, Bicycle
Assuming you don’t do heavy kids, the service department can help you out if you need major warranty work. IMHO, changing oil there a couple times a year is a small price to pay. If you get to know your service advisor, they can make sure a warranty claim isn’t denied or that they can extend goodwill if you’re slightly out of warranty
MisterGoober is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MisterGoober For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (09-03-2021), OkieSnuffBox (09-03-2021), trippinbillies40 (09-03-2021), Veloist (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #34
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Assuming you don’t do heavy kids, the service department can help you out if you need major warranty work. IMHO, changing oil there a couple times a year is a small price to pay. If you get to know your service advisor, they can make sure a warranty claim isn’t denied or that they can extend goodwill if you’re slightly out of warranty
This this this. Very wise words well-spoken. If you have an issue outside of warranty and want some help with it, one of the first things a manufacturer will look at is your service records with local dealers. Subaru specifically compared to other OEs tends to be very generous with goodwill towards their best service customers. Go find a dual Subaru/Toyota dealership and ask the service manager which manufacturer helps more.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (09-03-2021), suhhh (09-20-2021), timurrrr (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #35
seawolfxix

Drives: 2003 Honda S2000
Is Subaru offering anything like the NASA membership / track day?

seawolfxix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seawolfxix For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #36
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seawolfxix View Post
Is Subaru offering anything like the NASA membership / track day?
Nah, it's a silly promotion for NASA. SCCA did it with Subaru back in the day and SCCA saw a gigantic spike in membership followed by an immediate slump back to where it was before. This is speaking from my former SCCA regional exec hat this time. Sounds like a good idea on paper, but won't provide much value outside of the very small percentage of people that actually take advantage of it. Taking a set of opinions from the group of enthusiasts on this forum isn't going to be representative of the larger picture.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #37
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
This this this. Very wise words well-spoken. If you have an issue outside of warranty and want some help with it, one of the first things a manufacturer will look at is your service records with local dealers. Subaru specifically compared to other OEs tends to be very generous with goodwill towards their best service customers. Go find a dual Subaru/Toyota dealership and ask the service manager which manufacturer helps more.
I constantly tried to tell people this back in my motorcycle days. Sure sometimes I paid a little more buying certain things from my local dealer, but the service I received was phenomenal.

I got to do fun stuff like ride the next gen R6 bikes for the race team, before they were even for sale.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #38
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
I get very good service at half the price from people I trust way more than I trust the dealerships (at least based upon my experience) at my local independent shop. As for oil changes, I like my money and time more than I like sitting in a little waiting room for god knows how long with a free cup of coffee and some pretzels.

When I do it myself (which is quick, easy, cheap and on my schedule), I know exactly what oil went in, that the filter actually got changed, and that someone didn't screw something else up in the process. Heck, I like the fact that some high school yard boy won't strip my gears and accidentally wash it with that scratchy brush despite the big sign on the dash that says "DONT WASH."

As for those experiences, I can buy my own x3 with all the money I save.

Different strokes I guess...
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #39
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Nah, it's a silly promotion for NASA. SCCA did it with Subaru back in the day and SCCA saw a gigantic spike in membership followed by an immediate slump back to where it was before. This is speaking from my former SCCA regional exec hat this time. Sounds like a good idea on paper, but won't provide much value outside of the very small percentage of people that actually take advantage of it. Taking a set of opinions from the group of enthusiasts on this forum isn't going to be representative of the larger picture.
What's so silly about a free track day (worth a few hundred dollars)? Granted NASA is not my HPDE organization of choice, but I don't turn down free track time.
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (10-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 02:40 PM   #40
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
As for oil changes, I like my money and time more than I like sitting in a little waiting room for god knows how long with a free cup of coffee and some pretzels.
Did we have this conversation on Facebook?

I let my indy guy, or the dealer if it's still complimentary, do it. Why? Because I don't like spending my free time in the evenings or weekends changing oil then having to dispose of it.

During the week, I can drive to the shop, while I'm on the clock, hook up to the WiFi and "work" (IE be available on Slack as I look at the interwebz, while I'm on the clock), and drive home, while I'm on the clock, and done.

But I realize not everyone has a tech job that works from home, but it's another one of the perks.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:13 AM   #41
dodj

Drives: Rallye Blue BRZ
Looking to replace our 2013 BRZ. I have to like the look of the car. To those people thinking of buying a BRZ to get it sooner even though they like the look of the front end of the 86 better...wait, you'll be glad you did.

To me, the 86 grille is too big for the car. Smooth styling everywhere except for that big slab of a grille in the nose.
So for me, strictly from a looks point of view, BRZ hands down.
dodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:19 AM   #42
Interceptor777

Drives: 2022 BRZ, 1999 "touge-spec" Miata
On top of getting the car earlier and preferring the look, the very slightly different suspension in the BRZ tuned for higher speed stability is what did it in for me. At least that's if the reviewers are right...
Interceptor777 is offline   Reply With Quote