follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2021, 05:31 AM   #1
Peanuts

Drives: 2015 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engineer Certificate for SC/Turbo?

Wondering how many of you have got engineers certification after going FI? I've been looking at going FI - I'm in NSW and it looks like its technically required and I'm pretty worried I'd get defected or something if I didn't get it

Seems like I'd need to go through different tunes etc just to make it completely emissions compliant, etc as I doubt it would pass from a regular tune

Looking for any input and interested to know what others are doing
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:45 AM   #2
Aust86

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
Wondering how many of you have got engineers certification after going FI? I've been looking at going FI - I'm in NSW and it looks like its technically required and I'm pretty worried I'd get defected or something if I didn't get it

Seems like I'd need to go through different tunes etc just to make it completely emissions compliant, etc as I doubt it would pass from a regular tune

I'm looking in to this atm. Will let you know how I go.
Aust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:21 AM   #3
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post

Short answer, yes you need one. You're in NSW so all the information you need is here including links to more specific source data at the end:
https://roads-waterways.transport.ns...ifications.pdf

Longer answer, If you modify your 86 with a turbo and it is not engineered, you could get defected by the cops, but they would need to have cause to look and know what to look for. You could also have an insurance claim denied due to the fact that your vehicle is not "roadworthy" before an accident. Even if you're not at fault. You need to consider the risks of driving a car that is not effectively insured.

Don't get your information by asking what others are doing who don't know. Talk to an actual engineer who understands the laws in your state, they are not hard to find.
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote